Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 10th Annual PW Draft 2017 Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Average round is scheduled for round 5 with a never before Used stip.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

It's actually a rule I was kinda phasing out the past few years originally suggesting to the person who ran it before me that why not instead of removing it for one round remove it from then on, then last year I had it much earlier.

Never really liked it myself as I always wanted to see where people would draft legends if they were available at the same time.

I thought it might have been from when write ups were less of a thing and it would stop obscure rosters that not everyone would 'get'.

Now, with the quality of write ups people have I think all pre or post 70s could be available to anyone that wants to write for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Yea personally i dont like the 1970s rule. There is so many options not available for it. Like if i had a late draw in the New Japan round there is one name I would have wanted but cos his debut was pre 70 he wouldnt have been eligable even though he is one of the best pro wrestlers ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

LeeJM wrote: »
    Yea personally i dont like the 1970s rule. There is so many options not available for it. Like if i had a late draw in the New Japan round there is one name I would have wanted but cos his debut was pre 70 he wouldnt have been eligable even though he is one of the best pro wrestlers ever.

The Pre 1970 rule was taken away for that draw hence why I went for Piper ( I decided to pick him early just in case I got a high draw for 1970 round )

campo wrote: »
    The Pre 1970 rule was taken away for that draw hence why I went for Piper ( I decided to pick him early just in case I got a high draw for 1970 round )

So it was! Nevermind me im just an idiot :-D still dont like the rule though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Not a fan of the pre 1970s rule myself. If I'm not mistaken this rule came in for the second year of the Draft and I think on that occasion it was pre-75 so it was even tougher. I think with fans having a greater knowledge of older wrestling stars it would be more open if it were done away with.

Anyway I think I'm up now (I didn't get a PM). I'll pick shortly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

must have been some error in the process as Lee said he pmd you... you were right about the pre 75 thing originally not that it was too needed anyway cos sure if people did make their rosters too obscure then that'd surely count against them in terms of voting etc anyway

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I liked the pre-70s rule from the point of view of keeping a few "big" names back for a few rounds; it was always handy to have latter rounds suddenly get the likes of a Piper or Flair to pop up. But since there's other stips involved now that achieve the same purpose, I don't think it's as important as it used to be.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Average round is scheduled for round 5 with a never before Used stip.

Oh a new stip.

Always fun. Hopefully some of our Draft Vets will be able to find something nobody else saw.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I liked the pre-70s rule from the point of view of keeping a few "big" names back for a few rounds; it was always handy to have latter rounds suddenly get the likes of a Piper or Flair to pop up. But since there's other stips involved now that achieve the same purpose, I don't think it's as important as it used to be.

I thinks its fairer to have them there from the start. The name value at the top of that round compared to the end is big (imo).

Also, to be a bollix, Flair is not pre 70s. That one caught me out before.

• Advertisement

Well, I say new but its more a variation on other stips, but I think the execution is new

I feel as if, in the past, Flair has flopped his way back and forth, depending on who edited wiki last :P

Angle with American Alpha is a great pick MNG.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

American Alpha gone. Great pick by MNG really suits his Kurt Angle pick.

Sorry MNG must have been a glitch because I definitely sent a PM. Great pick. Could easily establish the Angle American Alpha faction that alot of people seem to want.

Great Pick MNG. Those guys are Gold and I expect they will continue to rise in WWE so that will help later with their names looking even bigger.

Also Boo, I wanted them!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

LeeJM wrote: »
    Sorry MNG must have been a glitch because I definitely sent a PM. Great pick. Could easily establish the Angle American Alpha faction that alot of people seem to want.

No worries. There's a few Mr Nice Guys out there so it might have went to one of them.

I'm excited to have Angle and American Alpha together. Hopefully I can have them interact with each other in some capacity. I still don't know if Angle will be heel or face as that will depend on who I can get in Round 3.

Always check to make sure your PM folder has enough space to receive messages, I ran foul of that in my first year.

In relation to the pre 70's rule, I was thinking of abolishing it all together but there seemed to be those who agreed and disagreed with it so I thought Id leave it as is.

I was happy to leave in after leaving it out in round one to see if anyone availed of it, I was thinking about leaving the rule out of the 2nd round too as I assumed there was enough talent to be got anyway.

I do see the dilema Shag has, in terms of him personally. Taker can still battle a few top talents but to be fair to Shag (i may be wrong), Taker has feuded with nearly all the big picks remaining in round 2 in realife and would lesser the fantasy value of his main event in my view. Its just the way the draw went me thinks and the fact that Taker has been around the block for years and more or less has feuded with most main eventers.

Most, as of now anyway seem to agree to ablish the pre 1970 rule all togther.

Mainly i want everyone involved to have fun and enjoy the draft. I know every year some stips and round orders cause problems to some, me included, but overall I want players to have a pleasant experience.

So with all that said, and before anyone picks in round 3, I from round 3 of the game also abolish the pre 1970 debut rule. . It may not resolve the gripe but it seems to me that getting rid of the rule would make the majority happy.

I know rule changes may not sit well with others, but if anyone does not agree, speak up as I want everyone to be as happy as can be whilest being fair.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

First off your doing a great job imo Joe

secondly hmm now I'm feeling a lot more confident about my mid round draw and what it can get me next round.

The curse of a high draw has dumb founded me as Ive no idea who to pick. No one in particular is jumping out as must have over anyone else and may take a tag team to toughen up my roster with better in-ring performers

I have two guys in mind, both singles wrestlers so you wanting to take a tag team Joe is music to my ears!!

• Advertisement

I have no doubt I will get who I want as I dont think anybody will have this team in mind so early on.

Necrominus wrote: »
    I have two guys in mind, both singles wrestlers so you wanting to take a tag team Joe is music to my ears!!

Ah its not set in stone, Ive just no plans yet so that might change.

I now look back on the picks and cant say Im not enveous that You picked KO. I thought of a great plan that he would actually be perfect for, and Im struggling to see anyone else in the role (loudmouth destructive heel). Well no one better than him.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Ah its not set in stone, Ive just no plans yet so that might change.

I now look back on the picks and cant say Im not enveous that You picked KO. I thought of a great plan that he would actually be perfect for, and Im struggling to see anyone else in the role (loudmouth destructive heel). Well no one better than him.

It's funny you should mention that because as I was watching the long....LONG list of megastars getting picked and me sat here with little old KO I was starting to regret my choice - but after getting Edge I'm a lot more refined in what direction I want to head in.

Necrominus wrote: »
    It's funny you should mention that because as I was watching the long....LONG list of megastars getting picked and me sat here with little old KO I was starting to regret my choice - but after getting Edge I'm a lot more refined in what direction I want to head in.

I always like choosing two guys who never interacted with eachother much and KO and Edge fit the build. It just adds to the fantasy part of the draft.

Ko and Edge work great as both heels and faces (KO can be great as an anti hero) so you have plenty of options, which may grow seeing as you have a high enough pick next round

I want a single guy.

Desperately.

Like....I'll be really upset if I don't get him :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Hey guys/girl I'm just out. Should have mine up in the next 20.

I want a single guy.

Desperately.

That suggests they could be available in this round :eek:

I want a single guy.

Desperately.

I would imagine you would with the New Day, plenty of big guns left. Am I right in thinking New Day wont be your main event?

Theres two tag teams Id imagine you would feud them with if available, but one cant be drafted as a tag team due to a few world championships

I know who I would feud New Day with and world titles would not be an issue with this team!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

ShagNastii wrote: »
    Hey guys/girl I'm just out. Should have mine up in the next 20.

I'm just finished work too so the horrible round 2 is soon to be over (I jest of course, great stip but being #20 for it has been a slow torture :pac: )

Gutted Miz is gone, had a blast writing for him last year and thought he'd sneak through to me. Best heel in WWE today imo :cool:

Advertisement