Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 10th Annual PW Draft 2017 Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Some great picks over the weekend, with feds really starting to take shape.

Braun Strowman is surely the shock of the round going so early, which shows IMO how well WWE have booked this relative new comer since the brand split

Misawa and Kenta Kobashi go again together after being apart last year, as do Curt Hennig and Scott Hall. Okada, Kenny Omega and Tanahashi go this round after some how being overlooked in the opening round AND Shagnasti getting great value in drafting Muta.

The greatest man who ever lived has been drafted by Liz, and his stock has certainly risen since leaving TNA. JBL also goes in round 3 and I did consider drafting him to interact with The Miz (JBL infamously kicking him out of the locker room when he first joined is always a fun story seeing how well Miz did since).

The Bucks of Youth also go to the capable hands of TBC. I drafted them last year but moved the on in exchange for a Celeb and They probably would have fit in very well with my Horsemen angle last year.

With Round 4 now set to begin, this round will more or less complete the upper mid cards and main events of certain shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

The dreaded "will he/she/they go this round or will they hold out?" question hits me again.

I said to myself this year I would draft the most desired talent (biggest name available) every round and work them into feuds. I think it really is the way to do it. Most years the best roster unsurprisingly does the best.

Instead I'm finding myself thinking of feuds and trying to grab the superstars.

Would you guys agree with the statement of the wrestler making the storyline and not the storyline making the wrestler?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

ShagNastii wrote: »

Would you guys agree with the statement of the wrestler making the storyline and not the storyline making the wrestler?

I'd agree the wrestler makes the storyline but not all wrestlers can fit all storylines. I honestly only have storyline ideas for two of my four guys so far as until it was my pick my thoughts were with someone about to be drafted elsewhere.

ShagNastii wrote: »
    The dreaded "will he/she/they go this round or will they hold out?" question hits me again.

I said to myself this year I would draft the most desired talent (biggest name available) every round and work them into feuds. I think it really is the way to do it. Most years the best roster unsurprisingly does the best.

Instead I'm finding myself thinking of feuds and trying to grab the superstars.

Id disagree to an extent but its all subjective IMO.

I feel its a bit of both really. I feel its all about timing. I look a back on my roster last year and while it was strong, it wasnt the strongest, but I feel a lot of my rosters last years stock was very high.

Flair was timeless, Cesaro was as popular as ever last year and Nakamura jumped to WWE so he was more mainstream than ever at the time. I feel my celeb was very high stock wise compared to now and the majority of my other picks (the ladies in particular) were reaching top star level to a degree.

That being said I picked up Flair because he suited the story and not for his draw power as I traded him for Eddy, who IMO is more popular.

But I would always go for the right fit, rather than the biggest star. I dont think Samoa Joe was the biggest star I could pick in round 3, but he suited what Im looking for over others.

That being said if your good enough to book the bigger stars regardless of plans, then go for it, I just think it can cause problems writing sometimes over picking the more suited lesser talent.

Also, as a rule I try to draft stars who havent crossed paths in wrestling too much, it adds to the fantasy element and gives you more freedom writing.

My main events the past 3 years have all been guys who to my knowledge never faced eachother (Okada v Goldberg, HBK v Jake Roberts, Flair v Cesaro) and I feel that dynamic helps me create better shows.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Also, as a rule I try to draft stars who havent crossed paths in wrestling too much, it adds to the fantasy element and gives you more freedom writing.

My main events the past 3 years have all been guys who to my knowledge never faced eachother (Okada v Goldberg, HBK v Jake Roberts, Flair v Cesaro) and I feel that dynamic helps me create better shows.

I would completely be in agreement of this fashion. I try to fashion my feuds out of either links in real life or a connection (however slim) my superstars may have. My Jeff/Cena feud last year for example was two guys who lived their lives completely on opposite ends of the spectrum.

What made the Cesaro/Flair feud - and MNG's Dynamite King the previous year - was the realism provided by the authors.
    If the writers at WWE were somehow all simultaneously given brain transplants and Vince stopped nuking any ideas that would build anyone other than his chosen few, you could actually envision these type of stories developing over time within the WWE.

For me it's not necessarily about the superstar involved, it's about how the writer can actively develop them. It's great to have the ability to build an amazing roster, and kudos to those who do so. But as was seen last year, and I think the year prior, the best roster didn't win. It's only a part of the process here and that's one of the primary reasons I enjoyed the draft as much as I did last year, and indeed this year too.... the only thing that lets it down for me is the wait times!!!

MNGs 2013 effort stands out to me as one of the best. He wrote it so well and looking back, he got some really cruel draws, arguably the cruelest in the history of the draft. While he made the most of his picks and his bad pick order, with Flair being his only out and out star IMO, he delivered a wonderful story with bringing the best out of his characters. He made you invest in his shows and elevated his wrestlers to higher levels, thus the reason why he ran away with it that year.

So even if you do get a horrible round order, its all about what you do with what you have.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I think its all about what you do. You can make a star from anyone imo but the important thing is you wanted to write about them.

Define a big name? If you are not engaged by someone then I don't think picking them is worthwhile regardless of their career accomplishments

Some people are legends looking back over their career but may carry a negative perception now. Flair, Bret Hart, John Cena, Hogan, Foley etc today would not be thought highly off from the get go.

The beauty here is you can pick any time in their career to write about them or choose to do something brand new.

That goes for newer people too, for example Zack Sabre Jnr has the potential, in the right hands, to be the star of a show but the writer has a bit more work to do to put them over as "main event". But that story may look better than others as its new.

DM_7 wrote:
    That goes for newer people too, for example Zack Sabre Jnr has the potential, in the right hands, to be the star of a show but the writer has a bit more work to do to put them over as "main event". But that story may look better than others as its new.

I think the short format of the draft (5/6 shows and PPV) makes it a little more difficult to credibly build a future star or mid/low carder up to a main event star.

Can it be done? Absolutely. It's just a little more difficult when you have to try and build a watchable PPV card. For that reason it's probably easier to have a main event tier star to either be the corner stone of your roster or even to 'pass the torch'.

It's good because it makes the writing important. The beauty is there are legitimately 40/50 minimum main event calibre stars to choose from, not even mentioning the tag teams and lower tier stars.

Everyone, at least that I can see has the potential in their roster to make an excellent main event feud. It's the execution of it that ultimately determines who will win.

I always find a preview show or a year in review lead up show to go along way. It can set the tone and establish a back story for most your show.

• Advertisement

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I always find a preview show or a year in review lead up show to go along way. It can set the tone and establish a back story for most your show.

This. You can have one post cover as much time in a guys career as you want. It doesn't have to be in the bubble of since the last boards draft. The only thing the draft really does is limit who you can use but not how you use them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

DM_7 wrote: »
    This. You can have one post cover as much time in a guys career as you want. It doesn't have to be in the bubble of since the last boards draft. The only thing the draft really does is limit who you can use but not how you use them.

This exactly. Last year as my first Draft I found it easier to do a year in review show to establish a lesser known guy as an instant killer and main event guy(well at least he was in my eyes) while also establishing my midcard title scene and the overall tone for my company.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

For me its all about the story line in fact I preferred the draft when points were just awarded for story line.

I personally draft who I think I can fit into my story line and they may not be a big name.

I also tend to draft those who have never faced each other, as an example my fav feuds I have done were the likes of Piper v Guerrero

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Right lads sorry about the delay was at work will get cracking on my pick/picks now

Nice pick Brian... Knew they would never make it to me but one can dream

Yeah I had another guy in mind but I didn't want to leave it to chance to lose these fellas because I'm pretty sure I'm last in the next round

Interested to see what Brian does with Enzo & Cass. Are they still a team? Does Enzo wrestle? Will Okada and Enzo interact in anyway (I dunno why but the thought Okada destroying Enzo brings a smile to my face)

You could be on to something there Lee....Or not ;)

SlickRic with a cracking pick and Roster!

Just looking at that! Kobashi, Misawa and Rhodes added to Jake and HBK. I actually have no idea what way I would book them, but that is some fantastic drafting from the Slickster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,014 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

I actually picked Dusty yesterday then realised he debuted before 1970 so changed it. Didn't realise the rule had changed to last night

Well theres been plenty of chatter on her over the last 2 days on here and its been posted nimberous times. Unfortunately all I can do is post it,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

I can't believe I get to make this next pick to go up against The Young Bucks....

I love that pick! The Bucks being absolute dicks to LOD just writes itself. Genius from TBC. I actually cant wait for your write ups now just for that match alone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

LeeJM wrote: »
    I love that pick! The Bucks being absolute dicks to LOD just writes itself. Genius from TBC. I actually cant wait for your write ups now just for that match alone

I had them top of my list the moment I got The Bucks. Even though I didn't have to wait long between picks, they where such a big name I didn't think they would make it through. I wanna start writing their story instantly!

I had them top of my list the moment I got The Bucks. Even though I didn't have to wait long between picks, they where such a big name I didn't think they would make it through. I wanna start writing their story instantly!

Great to see a pick that leaves no doubt about a feud and direction for that pick.

Because of the direction I am going I have overlooked a lot of names and I am really enjoying picks like the one you just made as I would not have considered the options they give selector.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Loving the draft this year and can't wait to see what Fusion Pro Wrestling has to offer with Nakamura vs Benoit(if they feud) and now the Young Bucks vs Legion of Doom. Loving all the other picks too and was hoping to take part this year but other stuff has gotten in the way but will be taking notes for next time around.

Paulie21: Chris Jericho, The Rock, Dolph Ziggler, "The Briscoes" Mark Briscoe and Jay Briscoe,

I just praised TSC for nailed on feuds, yet I love how your plans are not obvious to me. Good work!

2 nice picks there, Slick going for Dusty broke my heart a little, but he wasnt top of my list this round. Hes an excellent pick no doubt.

Roadwarriors vs The Bucks is a great fantasy match. How will your story bring those two togetehr is what i wanna know

Paulie taking The Briscoes is very interesting. Who will they face isnt obvious but they both bring great options as singles competitors too as well as a tag team

• Advertisement

Two really good tag team picks taken overnight by Shagnasti and Hulky. Regal and Tajiri will fit in perfectly in WWF Classic alongside Taker, Kane and Muta. Will Regal be the evil GM? Or will he and Tajiri be the plucky babyface tag team that we all loved. Hulkys pick of Rick Rude and Paul Orndorff as a team is a brilliant value pick. Either guy could slot in as a main or semi main event player. Or they may be used as a super team of sorts to dominate the tag division. Many options available with that choice.

Advertisement