Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 10th Annual PW Draft 2017 Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

So thats right, its the celebrity round. In this round normal draft rules apply, but you may also draft celebrities that have popped up in the wrestling world from time to time to your roster. So basically, for this round only, celebrities who have been involved with the eligible promotions are eligible too.

What IF there was a celebrity who achieved their fame from popping up in the Olympic wrestling world?

Would they by any chance meet the criteria for this round?

Ahem...asking for a friend...

hqdefault.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

What IF there was a celebrity who achieved their fame from popping up in the Olympic wrestling world?

I think I spent a good lot of time trying to find a PW link for the person your thinking of last year... never thought to ask though.

Well chuffed with the Womens division I was able to put together in rd 8&9. Also I'm sure we say the standard goes up every year but this year is a little odd cos I def believe the standard is increasing and yet there are still even now some really great value picks available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

hqdefault.jpg

By all means explain the scenario via PM and Ill see what can and can't be done.

Once they have appeared in some form for an eligible promotion Im sure they would be ok.

pick made and PM sent, thats my show almost complete bar the opener. Matt Sydal will go perfect with what Ive planned and ACH, while not a big deal for me, will work well consider his friendship with Sydal. Hopefully Matt can avoid an international incident for our Japan show :pac:

I did consider Ronda, but really couldnt book her after how she ended up in my show, Id have a hard time booking her comeback. But I imagine Bounty Hunter will have similar issues considering whats happened to her in reality, but theres no better man to make her look like a million bucks against one of her Japanese stars

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Old Fit Dave and Horny actually wrestled loads over the course of a year so they are well eligible. I wonder if Lord TSC had him earmarked considering Swoggles affiliation with Meekman

I absolutely did, and nearly picked them last round. But more because I had Finlay on my list to brawl with some of the muscleheads :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Happy with how my roster is coming together, no real big names but I always preferred to draft characters to my roster then workers.

CWAROSTER.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭daithi1989

Pick in and PM sent.

Toyed with the idea of a celeb, but in the end, just gonna continue to draft in talent.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I thought Albert/Tensai might have lasted a little longer... shows what I know

Necrominus wrote: »
    I thought Albert/Tensai might have lasted a little longer... shows what I know

I thought Albert/Tensai would have went with a different partner (they were on my list)

• Advertisement

Great pick by DM_7 that is another off my list

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Out and about, had to make a quick pick to keep it moving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

No rush to the celebs this year it looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Had Albert on my list, completely erased his tag with Brodus from memory despite it starting off as a bit of a laugh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

ShagNastii wrote: »
    No rush to the celebs this year it looks.

Still a lot of quality available in this round but who knows maybe later in the round with some big celebs still available but potentially not again in the draft others might pounce. Trump, Rousey & Tyson were always gonna go tbh

I like the Tons of Funk pick too, don't think the WWE used either guy to their potential and as a 2 for 1 pick they do have a very big upside depending on how you choose to book, them.

Kinda changing plans so Stan Hansen may be available to trade... anyone want the most successful and popular gaijin in professional wrestling history or also potentially available is a Bray Wyatt type cult leader in Dan Spivey (Waylon Mercy)... now is the time to strike if so as im starting to set everything else into stone now plan wise

I'm open to trades of all shapes and types as well... probably not going to be able to get anything written for another 3 picks at least so I have nothing in stone as of yet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I know what celeb I want, so am happy no one is picking celebs at the moment :P

While many celebs did interest me, talent was more important this round. Rousey for obvious continuty reasons peaked my interest, and if Trump had got to me I would of seriously considered it. I would find it a hard challenge to do him justice to be honest but looking at Necros last work in the previous draft, plus who he has drafted this year, my eyes will be firmly on his roster come evaluation time.

Speaking of which, round 10 is 11 picks away so it shall be then when the evaluation thread will open for you eager beavers. Not me though, I like to have my roster assembled first, but for those who want to begin right away it shall open soon.

As for my roster, Im happy enough with my roster thus far as 5 matches of 6 are set in my mind, but offers for trades will always be considered.

A reminder that once again the next round is an average round from the past 4 rounds (since our last average round) so the draft order for round 10 is already set in stone.

Some nice picks in the last while with Goldust/ Windham pick being the steal of the last round by Shag. Goldust was a big temptaion for me considering his history with Pillman and Windham is a great all rounder to have on your roster who is great value on his own

Sorry I havent been as active the last 48 hours, real life getting in the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Seeing as we are making it known who is available for trade Zack Sabre Jnr could be available for the right price. I dont expect too many to be interested as he is quite a divisive wrestler.

While many celebs did interest me, talent was more important this round. Rousey for obvious continuty reasons peaked my interest, and if Trump had got to me I would of seriously considered it. I would find it a hard challenge to do him justice to be honest but looking at Necros last work in the previous draft, plus who he has drafted this year, my eyes will be firmly on his roster come evaluation time.

Speaking of which, round 10 is 11 picks away so it shall be then when the evaluation thread will open for you eager beavers. Not me though, I like to have my roster assembled first, but for those who want to begin right away it shall open soon.

If I remember right I was fairly quick off the mark with posting my first show last year. That probably won't be the case this time around as I want to have all the cogs in place before I pull the trigger on writing even the preview. I have all the major players already but there are a couple of picks I need to make to finalise everything... fairly happy with my direction and if I can pull it off, it will be worth the wait.

But I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone else's work too. All 20 rosters are very strong and it could be a very interesting year come voting time. Some very talented writers in the group.

• Advertisement

Oh I already have begun my preparations

PIT.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Ah there goes Floyd, he was the only celeb I was seriously considering taking. A great pick, pure box office & a character so many people legitimately dislike and would part money with in order to see get beat up.

There's one more I might be tempted into taking if still available as I thought of an angle for them last night but of course I now have no idea what it was :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,317 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Floyd Mayweather interacting with Shawn Michaels? Dusty?

Couldn't pass it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

In regards my query last night, the person I was thinking of was Helen Maroulis, who became the first US woman to win an Olympic Gold medal at the recent Rio games. I was wanting to make her the first female member of the Team Angle stable. Alas, I can see no way in which she is eligible.

It doesn't matter though because there's a name available who I did not expect to reach me and who I can't pass up. I'll have my pick up shortly.

Pick made and PM sent, hope I was right in saying Jay Lethal was still available and if he was still available why ???
    One of the biggest stars of 2016 surely and could have went with Xavier Woods in Round1 AFAIK

@Campo I think ROH just isnt as hot right now as it has been in the past. So while Jay Lethal has probably been having tonnes of good-great matches not many people will have seen them. Lethal was somebody I considered taking but Im just not that big of a fan of his in ring work. Doesnt help that he seems to be in slow motion doing his handspring ace crusher finish compared to others like Ospreay who do the same move.

LeeJM wrote: »
    @Campo I think ROH just isnt as hot right now as it has been in the past. So while Jay Lethal has probably been having tonnes of good-great matches not many people will have seen them. Lethal was somebody I considered taking but Im just not that big of a fan of his in ring work. Doesnt help that he seems to be in slow motion doing his handspring ace crusher finish compared to others like Ospreay who do the same move.

Again he was another I went for more because of his mic work then in ring work (having said that I think he has a great blend)

I really enjoyed his stint in TNA when he was doing the Flair & Savage skits

campo wrote: »
    Again he was another I went for more because of his mic work then in ring work (having said that I think he has a great blend)

I really enjoyed his stint in TNA when he was doing the Flair & Savage skits

His TNA run with Flair and the feud with Angle was definitely his best stuff that I have seen.

I had considered him for a part of my roster because of his Savahe impressions, but only later in the draft. Hes a great worker both in and out side of the ring, very under rated.

• Advertisement

I had considered him for a part of my roster because of his Savahe impressions, but only later in the draft. Hes a great worker both in and out side of the ring, very under rated.

was he available to go with Xavier in Round1?

Advertisement