Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 10th Annual PW Draft 2017 Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Finn Balor is now snapped up. He went the around the same time last year and once again his stock his high on boards.ie. Great pick as theres not many guys hotter at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 86,713 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Sorry for delay, not who I wanted first this round but since he was left and eligible decided to take him

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Class pick Liz but not who I guessed you would pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Didn't even realise he was eligible :p

• Registered Users Posts: 86,713 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

DM_7 wrote: »
    Class pick Liz but not who I guessed you would pick.

It wasn't Christian :p
    Didn't even realise he was eligible :p

Me either so thanks beakerjoe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Some great picks made so far.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

The wait is killing me :pac::pac::pac:

Ah the dreaded wait. Campos been private messaged and as with tradition he has until roughly 9pm tonight to make his pick.

Some great picks since my pick, nothing surprising though.

Nakamura was almost taken by myself Crabman. Had in mind as I had him last year and used him outside of the main event and I was contemplating drafting him again for my main event. Continuity was temptimg me but I never had Savage before and couldnt pass up not drafting him.

Hogan gone too, can be great as both the super hero babyface or the d!ckhead slimeball heel. Love the pic too BH.

Finn is as popular as ever since his main roster debut so maybe I was surprised he didnt go sooner.

Stone cold and Liz seems like a match made in heaven, knowing Lizs writing I think we might see Austin with a guitar and a cowboy hat at some point with any of her regular draft choices (if she gets them)

Campo sadly hasnt been online since 3am yesterday so hopefully he can make it on to get teh ball rolling early enough today. Im sure we are all eager to get our main events in place.

Ill throw the round 2 draw up with around 2/3 picks left in this round. While its a stip round, there should be plenty of talent available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

I know delays are inevitable but its still frustrating that its happened so early. But we all have real lives to live so I understand. Im just a draft nerd and wanna rip through this :D

• Advertisement

LeeJM wrote: »
    I know delays are inevitable but its still frustrating that its happened so early. But we all have real lives to live so I understand. Im just a draft nerd and wanna rip through this :D

Youre as impatient as me Lee, well as I used to be in previous drafts. But the wait also adds to it in a way IMO, it gets you excited and it gives you more time to change your plans 30 times between picks :D We should've started a draft whats app group ha

Im looking down the list of potential picks remaining in this round, which is loads of undrafted main event talent IMO, and Im also looking at the next round and I have a list of 10 guys I want to feud with Savage. Im only expecting 1 or 2 to make it to me.

I think my choices are gonna shock people because Im not gonna go the conventional huge star vs huge star route. Because of that Im not gonna win the draft, but I just wanna have fun writing up my shows

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

I think my choices are gonna shock people because Im not gonna go the conventional huge star vs huge star route. Because of that Im not gonna win the draft, but I just wanna have fun writing up my shows

You say that now but I thought Inwould be near the bottom the year I did the all women's roster, but finished third!

You say that now but I thought Inwould be near the bottom the year I did the all women's roster, but finished third!

Nothing is guaranteed. Sure big names help, but its all about how you write your characters.

Sure take TBCs example, no big males stars which is a huge handicap and IIRC he was pushed for time time and still had an impressive showing.

Take MNG in 2013, arguably he had the worst draw average esp in the early rounds and he only had 1 pure main event talent and he made a show so good he ran away with it that year. Anything is possible Lee, dont be so negative. Going by last year, which was your debut in the draft, you're more than capable of winning based on you're writing,esp if you already have a plan you reckon you can easily draft guys for.

Thanks Joe. I have my plan and literally no back up plan so I hope I can pull it off. There are probably 5 key talents I need to really establish the feel that I want but none of them are what I would consider huge stars. Its a gamble but I think I can pull it off.

Thanks Joe. I have my plan and literally no back up plan so I hope I can pull it off. There are probably 5 key talents I need to really establish the feel that I want but none of them are what I would consider huge stars. Its a gamble but I think I can pull it off.

You are going to hate me this year........

Im guessing, but judging by who you both have picked and you is still available, you may be looking at the same star to feud with your 1st round picks. Interesting

:'(  :'(  :'(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Looking forward to seeing the stip for rd2 as obviously that and potentially rd3s order will probably determine how I use Hogan but whatever way it is it'll be interesting to write for him as although I did have him in the first ever draft back then the write ups were not what they are now - essentially a one post (shorter than most build up shows now) card plus pertinent extra details for feuds. SO it'll essentially be my first time writing the Hulkster.

Having picked already a delay doesn't bother me as well we know they will come and it's not like I expect the biggest names to get back to me in rd 2 (reversed order) anyway. That said Ideally i'd prefer if delays came around rd 6 guys that way I will already have stuff to work with in terms of making up storylines while I wait :pac:

Not suggesting that he won't appear, as I fully expect him to, but in the unlikely event that Campo can't make his pick in time he goes to the back of the queue this round.

If he is unable to make the pick again we may need a reserve to take his place. So if any late comers to this years draft, or any lurkers or followers of the draft threads wanna throw there name down for a reserve spot just in case.

Changing the subject from that, as its my first time running the draft Id love any (positive and negative) feedback to this years draft?

What did you think of the opening round stip? too obsecure? not strong enough? please do tell

Was the double Stip too much?

Do the Simpsons themed stips add anything for you?

Have any queries been answered in timely fashion?

If theres anything at all that you'd like to throw your two cents into, by all means let me know. I want to run as smooth a draft as possible and I would like to try keep everyone happy

• Advertisement

I see a lot of potential in the simpsons theme depending on what stips you have in mind in the future, hell think how OSW have used them re:Wrestling. I liked the stip this round too as it really is a stip that means there will be plenty of huge picks available next round (and depending on the rd2 stip in rd3) but also everyone should get a bonafide star this round especially cos of the 2nd stip that widened the field. Who knows if too many will take advantage of that stip but there are a few made available by it that i'd have availed of if I had a low number.

I like the double stip in the opening round. Being a NJ performer but also knocking out the pre 1970 rule opens up a tonne of headliners and also gives people the chance to be a little less obvious in who they choose. Im sure not many thought the Undertaker would be a top 3 pick in this round! As for suggestions going forward I think DM_7 should never be ahead of me in the selection order :angry:  

Apart from that I have faith that you will have some fun stips lined up and like always Im sure there will still be a main eventer or 2 kncoking around in round 6 or 7

Double post :angry:

Going well so far. Stips were good. I like stips that don't restrict too much at this stage but make you think so they are good.

I don't like the 24 hour pick time. Maybe we could look at it next year. I think its too generous. It could be half that but we would be allowed to miss a pick overall. For example if I missed my 12 hour window and missed it again at the end of the round, I could continue in the draft but miss my pick for that round.

That way if I was offline a couple of days for private reasons I would miss my picks but not have to leave the draft, i would also not be holding things up much. If I missed my pick again later then it would go to a reserve.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Im guessing, but judging by who you both have picked and you is still available, you may be looking at the same star to feud with your 1st round picks. Interesting

Its not that tight thankfully, I have 8 ideas for Finn. Its later on I reckon we would be considering the same people because of the obvious temptations to look at people linked to Finn or AJ.

I like the double stip in the opening round. Being a NJ performer but also knocking out the pre 1970 rule opens up a tonne of headliners and also gives people the chance to be a little less obvious in who they choose. Im sure not many thought the Undertaker would be a top 3 pick in this round! As for suggestions going forward I think DM_7 should never be ahead of me in the selection order :angry:  

Apart from that I have faith that you will have some fun stips lined up and like always Im sure there will still be a main eventer or 2 kncoking around in round 6 or 7

I don't know about a main eventer being about in round 6.

The next stip should open the field up in a different direction but it wouldnt be so restrictive either. Ive drawn up 20 names that are eligible and I would say they have all headlined a rosters main event in the last 2 years at least.

DM_7;102150978Going well so far. Stips were good. I like stips that don't restrict too much at this stage but make you think so they are good.

I don't like the 24 hour pick time. Maybe we could look at it next year. I think its too generous. It could be half that but we would be allowed to miss a pick overall. For example if I missed my 12 hour window and missed it again at the end of the round, I could continue in the draft but miss my pick for that round.

That way if I was offline a couple of days for private reasons I would miss my picks but not have to leave the draft, i would also not be holding things up much. If I missed my pick again later then it would go to a reserve.

I like this idea. I know we are all busy but I do feel 24 hrs can just knock the momentum of the draft and really take some of the fun out of it

beakerjoe wrote: »

I don't know about a main eventer being about in round 6.

The next stip should open the field up in a different direction but it wouldnt be so restrictive either. Ive drawn up 20 names that are eligible and I would say they have all headlined a rosters main event in the last 2 years at least.
    Well I think I picked up *** in a later round and I used him in my Main Event last year :)

I am usually online a lot so it wouldn't be an issue for me but iirc people who couldn't post at work were worried before that if their go started at say 2am and they can't get online then at work they would miss their go if it was 12hrs. Maybe if it was changed in such a way from 2am-8am or something similar could be excluded from the 12hr deadline

• Advertisement

I am usually online a lot so it wouldn't be an issue for me but iirc people who couldn't post at work were worried before that if their go started at say 2am and they can't get online then at work they would miss their go if it was 12hrs. Maybe if it was changed in such a way from 2am-8am or something similar could be excluded from the 12hr deadline

Id be of the same thinking myself. Its fine for me with Internet Access in work, but some can't even check there phones in work.

In Campos case he wasnt online when the draw was made, so hes probably oblivious to his place in the draw.

Plus if any accidents or emergencys happened, I wouldnt want people to be penalised too quickly.

The 24 hour, while it can annoy me sometimes, is the fairest way to do it IMO.

Sure If I had my way Id have a 3 hour rule :D

Advertisement