Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil service resignation

Options
  • 13-12-2016 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭

poof

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Can you transfer to a different department entirely. Its sounds like anything would be better than where you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

beauf wrote: »
    Can you transfer to a different department entirely. Its sounds like anything would be better than where you are.

Thats the catch - i dont think i made it very clear in my post (my fault) - since we became a smaller off-shoot of the organisation they stopped all transfers back to the "parent" organisation. We are basically a small pool of employees who were moved to a "new" organisation and we cant move out of it.

Thats my problem - i have no options. i cant get out of it - whereas our colleagues in the parent organisation can transfer freely between departments. It was terribly bad luck that i was in a department that was made move. Now im trapped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Parchment wrote: »
    Thats the catch - i dont think i made it very clear in my post (my fault) - since we became a smaller off-shoot of the organisation they stopped all transfers back to the "parent" organisation. We are basically a small pool of employees who were moved to a "new" organisation and we cant move out of it.

Thats my problem - i have no options. i cant get out of it - whereas our colleagues in the parent organisation can transfer freely between departments. It was terribly bad luck that i was in a department that was made move. Now im trapped.

If you're trapped you've very little room for manouvere, as you say, resign or career break. However what about your PMDS evaluation. I understand your line manager could have a grudge, but what about their boss, or higher again, have you let them know?

On the other hand be careful what you wish for. I worked with a lad who constantly put in for transfers and or different job applications as he felt 'trapped' in our department. All to no avail.
    Finally however he did get a transfer, and now his position and work are worse,(in his words), than when he worked with me.

If you can afford it take a month or two off and think hard about it. Don't do anything rash or you will definitely regret it. Good luck.

Are a public servant then, not a civil servant. Sounds like the former.

Can you not apply for jobs in the civil service?

Are a public servant then, not a civil servant. Sounds like the former.

Can you not apply for jobs in the civil service?

Yes, youre correct. I put civil down as i thought it would help me stay anonymous but it didnt work. I am a public servant.

I apply for positions in my grade that are advertised on public jobs.

• Advertisement

I'd say its quite a common situation for many Public Servants. Consider that it might take a year or two to find a job you like, and that might mean moving 2 or 3 times. If I were you and had the funds, or resources to exist for a few months out of a job. I'd take a career break then go try working in a few different places. if you get the right job on the right terms, loss of seniority is not an issue if you get a job at the same grade/salary or higher. if its another public sector job, you can keep your pension etc. I get the impression you think you have to stay within Public/Civil service. I know a few who have left both and are happier in the private sector.

I'd say its quite a common situation for many Public Servants. Consider that it might take a year or two to find a job you like, and that might mean moving 2 or 3 times. If I were you and had the funds, or resources to exist for a few months out of a job. I'd take a career break then go try working in a few different places. if you get the right job on the right terms, loss of seniority is not an issue if you get a job at the same grade/salary or higher. if its another public sector job, you can keep your pension etc. I get the impression you think you have to stay within Public/Civil service. I know a few who have left both and are happier in the private sector.

I know many people who would never dream of a public/civil service job but i dont really have any qualifications that are relevant in the private sector. I enjoy the "safety" of my job even if my current position makes me miserable.

I could get the career break but as my post is in the smaller off-shoot....i can only go back there. Working other posts/jobs isnt an option - its all the one small pool.

I think you have got yourself institutionalized.

You should talk to a career adviser, life coach. To turn your mindset into a positive outlook.

10 yrs in any office job and you are an experience office administrator. You just need to spice that up with some technical skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I am 11 years working for a government department. Obviously permanent and all that jazz.
    i dont really have any qualifications that are relevant in the private sector.
    Three things.

Firstly, experience can triumph qualification.

Secondly, there's a good chance that you know may be called something else; you basically may not know the skills that you have.

Think over the last 11 years. Jot down the skills that you've used in each year, and then goto a career adviser with them.

Thirdly, look into taking the career break.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

You say you have been applying for jobs advertised on publicjobs.ie, but what about consulting a recruitment agency and seeing if they have anything of relevance for you? Not all public sector organisations advertise through PAS.

• Advertisement
Advertisement