Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brownlee post Rio

Options
  • 13-12-2016 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭

So it's the season after the Olympics and this seems to be when some of the ITU athletes try other distances before starting the plan for Tokyo. I've seen Richard Murray on twitter saying he will be doing some 70.3 races this year and seems to be common enough.

Alistair Brownlee was interviewed and said he would like to give Kona a go. He does talk about going to Tokyo and using the next year or two to build endurance before concentrating on ITU again and then giving Kona a proper go after.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/triathlon/38292958

Hard to know how he will handle the move. He likes to race hard and you probably won't get away with doing that over a full ironman. Not everyone who moves from ITU has the success at full distance that Jan Frodeno has had. Would be interesting to see how he gets on if he does give it a go.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

I wonder how much he would actually have to change his training regime. swimming may stay the same, i read before that he spends a huge time on his bike anyhow, maybe less requirement to run as fast as he has to to run sub 30 for a 10km. perhaps the less hard running may decrease his injuries as surely that is where the bulk of his injuries and W&T occurs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Hes looking at strictly 70.3 next year before making the decision to go longer the following year, seems like a reasonable approach. Hard to see how he goes - hes prone to injury so it could go either way............ perhaps the slightly less intensive training might be good for him..........but there will be a lot more of it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

i dont see him is doing fulls in the next 2 years. if he does he wont go to tokio.

catweazle wrote: »
    Hes looking at strictly 70.3 next year before making the decision to go longer the following year, seems like a reasonable approach. Hard to see how he goes - hes prone to injury so it could go either way............ perhaps the slightly less intensive training might be good for him..........but there will be a lot more of it

there wont be more of it really. its more the accents of the training will change for him ( like frodo and gomes he already does very high volume)
    he wont have to change that much and if he still plans to keep his options open for tokio he cant change that much especialy on swim and bike he needs to keep the speed. biggest change will be tt bike work and few longer bike intervals. but he can not let the speed go espcially if tokyio will be a sprint race.
    at 32 at a sprint race and trying to be top at 70.3 ( which he will certainly want to be ) will be a big task similar to what he tried and failled after london to go tri and run for commonwealth games.
    he is the best but he is only human too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

i'd also think that the strong rumours Tokyo may be sprint distance to allow them to have a team relay event are playing a factor here, sprint likely to be less attractive to AB given his age and if it does go that way then he may change his mind about going there.

also, not suggesting it is him, but spotted the following:
    http://triathlonmagazine.ca/feature/british-triathlete-tests-positive-banned-substance-itu-grand-final-cozumel/

note the bit at the bottom:Note: As of 11:00 AM EST, Dec. 10th we have removed the word “elite” from the description of the athlete in the first paragraph. This reflects a change in the original article on Lawyers.com.

hard to see how elite got in there in the first place unless it was one of the elites. if it was, it's a very small number it could be...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Seen that too Mossy, and a 2 year break from ITU looks a bit odd after that story was released. I'm not sure we will ever know though.

100% agree on the race in Tokyo, if it is a sprint I'd say that might change his focus a bit. The right course though and he could still do well but I'd guess that it's in his mind and part of the looking at longer distances.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

joey100 wrote: »
    Seen that too Mossy, and a 2 year break from ITU looks a bit odd after that story was released. I'm not sure we will ever know though.

100% agree on the race in Tokyo, if it is a sprint I'd say that might change his focus a bit. The right course though and he could still do well but I'd guess that it's in his mind and part of the looking at longer distances.

if it was him, which i doubt, why would he bother doping for Cozumel, he just won the olympics and the only thing to be got in Cozumel was to help Johnny, logic suggests he wouldnt dope for that race

Ah I'm only playing devils advocate, I have no idea who it is, or does anyone else.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I would suspect that if it was one of the Brownlee's we would know about it by now - I love the suggestion it must have been the local meat.
    Full list of Cozumel participants....
    http://wts.triathlon.org/results/result/2016_itu_world_triathlon_grand_final_cozumel/281501

edit: I see they're saying now it wasn't necessarily an elite...huge list of people it could have been so

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

While they withdrew the 'elite' tag they substituted in a more damning term in my view - that of 'a member of the British Mens Triathlon Team for the WTS Grand Final'.

Semantics maybe, but I don't believe male age groupers are regarded as being members of the British Triathlon Team for a major event, are they?

In any case, if it was an age-grouper would there really be mention of it in any of the circles we read? Sure we know it goes on all over the place - several posters here linked some great articles on it over the last couple of seasons.

• Advertisement

Indeed, I didn't even notice the part about them dropping the elite tag but the whole fact it mentioned the Grand Final made me assume it was an elite. Off topic for this thread I suppose, but interesting one to watch - surprised it hasn't made it to any more mainstream media given what big names the Brownlee's are and the fact there is a 50% chance it could be one of them...

edit: Reddit, brings me to this
    https://www.tri247.com/article_15470.html

[/off topic]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Seems pretty definite alright.

Also seems like a big fuss if it wasn't one of the 4 senior British team members. Are we now to believe AG triathlon is clean because the ITU big up a tiny incident?

70.3 seems like a logical step for AB and I have little doubt he would be terrifically successful at it. Be good for the popularity of middle distance racing too I reckon.

bit of further info, and my apologies for taking the thread off topic in the first place. British Triathlon have confirmed the case, but also stated it is not a funded athlete. the amounts of drugs detected are lower than would be expected for dedicated intake, and more in line with accidental ingestion, they were just over the allowed amount

that's what i've picked up from various sources, make of it what you will. given the original source of the info you could see how they would call any athlete competing at the finals an elite i suppose.

i'll let everyone make up their own mind about what they believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Would a clenbuterol positive not result in a 4 year suspension?

And since WTC adhere to the WADA code, would such a suspension not apply to WTC races?

it would, unless they believe the ingestion was accidental from a tainted food source. which they are suggesting is the case here given what they are saying is low level traces found

i'm sure contador would have a few interesting things to say..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

mossym wrote: »
    it would, unless they believe the ingestion was accidental from a tainted food source. which they are suggesting is the case here given what they are saying is low level traces found

i'm sure contador would have a few interesting things to say..:)

Clenbuterol is always an interesting one. As far as I understand it it's completely useless as a PED in competition - the benefits are OOC reaching race weight etc. As such the most likely scenarios leading to a positive are accidental ingestion or an echo positive after a blood transfusion.

that is a bit bull ..... of course it can be right ,ie just a little dosis
    but it could also mean taken long time ago
    ( why would there be only 1 postive test .... was he the only triathlte eating in the one restaurant that had contaminated meet ??????possible but it does raise questions.
    i think its not right trying to speculate which athlete it could be.its clear that this would not be published ( thats the rules) . I would be more worried if the process was correct (was the result of no guilt a factual one or was there political interference )
    bit of further info, and my apologies for taking the thread off topic in the first place. British Triathlon have confirmed the case, but also stated it is not a funded athlete. the amounts of drugs detected are lower than would be expected for dedicated intake, and more in line with accidental ingestion, they were just over the allowed amount

that's what i've picked up from various sources, make of it what you will. given the original source of the info you could see how they would call any athlete competing at the finals an elite i suppose.

i'll let everyone make up their own mind about what they believe.

Alistair doing Challenge Gran Canaria today...looks like he's been leading the entire race.

http://timeraces.trackingsport.com/head?bz0xMjQwJm09MjIyMiZsb2M9ZW4=

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Alistair doing Challenge Gran Canaria today...looks like he's been leading the entire race.

http://timeraces.trackingsport.com/head?bz0xMjQwJm09MjIyMiZsb2M9ZW4=

Looks like he totally domanited the field winni by 7 mins.. Not a very strong field it has to be said.

Seemed to be a great battle between the top 2 ladies with Pallent taking it by only 6 seconds, with Ryf 3 mins back in 3rd

ryf messed up ont he bike, headed into t2 then realised she had another lap to do so went back out, went way over distance supposedly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

ryf messed up ont he bike, headed into t2 then realised she had another lap to do so went back out, went way over distance supposedly

Unfortunate mistake that seems to have happened a bit lately in the elite ranks. Same happened Ben Shaw in the super league when he was leading the bike. She'll be disappointed in herself but 3 minutes down having made a mistake like that shows she probably could have been up there and won it

Edit: reports have her leading by 5 minutes before making the mistake on miscounting and to be leading by 1 minute are the start of the run

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I see the Brownlees have moved to Scott bikes. It got a lot of publicity over the weekend on social media.

Seen that too pGibbo, and not just the bikes, helmets have changed from ekoi to Scott too and shoes from Mavic to scott as well. Must have been a nice deal.

So first tri back after hip surgery, 70.3 Dubai, wins in 3.35.30.

22.35 swim (1.11 per 100)

1.58.51 bike (average speed 45.49kmph)

1.09.34 run. (average 3.31.per km)

Not sure if the course was accurate, but even still they are some amazing splits. Probably shows how close 70.3 is to Olympic ITU distance, lot of the top lads moving up and down and winning (Gomez, Brownlee, Blummenfelt, Kanute). Worlds 70.3 should be good this year.

Seen a short clip of him running at the last 3km too. He wasn't doing his usual up on the toes running style so I wonder if he's changed it for the longer distance, or was tiring and stride was changing or was taking it easy. Still on the toes a bit but a fair bit off how we are used to seeing him run.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I see Fazz & David Sheridan were racing too.

4:21 for David & 4:38 for Fazz. Great swim & bike from David. Nice going from Fazz for a man that hasn't done much training.

pgibbo wrote: »
    I see Fazz & David Sheridan were racing too.

4:21 for David & 4:38 for Fazz. Great swim & bike from David. Nice going from Fazz for a man that hasn't done much training.

Fazz reckons he is 'fat and unfit'...

Advertisement