Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broker, direct insurance advice

Options
  • 13-12-2016 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hello

I need some advice regarding my insurance. It is a bit long. Thank you in advance

A little background 24, Full ROI drivers licence since August 2016. 0 NCB

I had a Toyota Yaris 2000, the cheapest insurance I found were €1900 TPFT taken out on 1st September with First Ireland through AXA and I didn't have to use the safe drive app BS. Paid in Full
    Not many would quote me for 15+ year old car and liberty came back with 5k.
    I sold the car in November and found a polo 2010 tdi 1.6 .
    I called up asking for an insurance quote extra €443.42 for full comp on the polo.
    Unfortunately I had to return the car after 3 days when I found a clutch and fly wheel problem through a heavy vibrating clutch.
    Dealer said its not covered under warranty and would cost 1300 to repair.

I suspended the insurance. 1st Dec.

I have been looking at cars again,

€900 extra on top of my current €2343.42 for a VW Golf 2010 TDI 1.6 = €3243.42
    €500 extra on top of my current €2343.42 for a Astra 2010 1.4 petrol turbo = €2843.42
    Those have been first irelands broker prices from AXA.

Here is the advice i need part.
    I asked AXA directly for a quote and gave me 1.9k full comp for Astra 2010 1.4

Is the broker putting a margin on this or AXA just being inconsistent?

I asked how much i would get back on the insurance i paid for if i cancelled they said 1000/2343.42 out of 3/12 months used.

If axa is quoting me a cheaper insurance directly is there any way of getting the broker down to agree to that price?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

No very doubtful the broker is putting a margin on it. Brokers can only charge a fee which is set out in their terms of business and this is usually in the region of €50.

Brokers often get different rates than the direct companies which is why there is a difference in price.

Your best bet is going back to direct insurer and seeing what they can knock off the price as the broker will probably only be able to knock off his €50 broker fee.

(I'm a broker)

Advertisement