Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aleppo

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

Grayson wrote: »
    I'm going by news reports in every single paper. Google it. Al-Nusra took over large suburbs in Damascus. They held it until very recently and there's still bombings going on there.

Of course you can choose to believe two people you met on holidays rather than thousands of news reports but that would be silly wouldn't it.

Why are you assuming they or I were "on holiday"? Is that to somehow detract from what they had to say. "Oh, holidaymakers. Can't believe them, they live in a fantasy world"

The picture in their phones were fakes as well.

Gatling wrote: »
    Ohh yeah of course bull****

Look mate, not everyone is confined to their cave in Dublin and does'nt travel. I've been in Gent in Belgium for th last 2 week and am heading to dusseldorf this weeknd to meet friends and go to the Christmas markets. You stick to the vast universe that comprised your bedroom and the toilet.

This is a very interesting 2013 report from Damascus by BBC correspondent Lyse Doucet. At 1.00 she says: " ... these teenagers are fortunate to live in a safe government controlled area ... they thank Assad for keeping them safe"
    Such a comment would never be allowed now on the BBC, it would promptly be removed by the censors! These residents of Damascus seen on the video no longer exist.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73NqHnn-6dQ

Sizeable sections of the city have been hammered but there are also areas where life goes on as normal.

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Isn't the story that her mother is an English teacher, and often posts on the account too ?

Wasn't the "gay girl of Damascus" actually exposed as an American guy operating out of Scotland.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-13744980

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

HensVassal wrote: »
    Wasn't the "gay girl of Damascus" actually exposed as an American guy operating out of Scotland.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-13744980

Yes, but that's a different story. So far I haven't read much, if anything to disprove the story of the 7 year old girl.
    Saying her English is too good for a 7 year old isn't exactly a great argument, especially if the story is that her mom teaches English.

Then again it could be fake, who knows. I'm not too bothered either way, far more serious stuff going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I've been in Gent in Belgium for th last 2 week and am heading to dusseldorf this weeknd

Dear oh dear .

But who gives a flying

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Just follow the money, who is making the most money out of this and you will find the answer to why this war is happening.

Just follow the money, who is making the most money out of this and you will find the answer to why this war is happening.

Russia has 70 billion in arms sales lined up ,
    Looking like a successful sales pitch hey

And who else will be making money off this civil war then

Dear oh dear .

But who gives a flying

Then don't address me if you are so disinterested. Stick to your baseless, out-of-a-hat predictions like a Kurdish state springing into existence next year.

Then don't address

Welcome to boards.ie not the travelshow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

What I find interesting is that there is conscription in Syria for young men and university students. This has resulted in large numbers of this demographic to flee the country rather than die in battle.
    Of course then you get all these muppets screaming "Why are the refugees all military aged single males? They must be ISIS operatives, waaahhhhhh"

:rolleyes:

Is Assad also conscripting Afghans, Kosovans, Iraqis, Somalians, Eritreans, Algerians, Pakistanis, Moroccans, Sudanese, Nigerians, Gambians ?

Because according to reports in September 2015 these were some of the main nationalities entering the EU and claiming asylum.
    In fact the vast majority were Kosovan for early 2015.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I didn't say that. But the Daily Mail is posting photos of moonscapes as if the whole city of Damascus was obiterated and now resembles Nagasaki circa Sept 1945 when evidence shows otherwise.

The photo's are genuine. It was reported in many outlets. Even Assad said there was fighting there. Are you just trolling or are you wilfully ignoring evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

The report on Allepo on the RTE 6.01 featured a quoting from the social media a/c of a purported Syrian girl begging for Turkish intervention in the conflict. It really is laughable that "reputable" media would feature such absolute nonsense.

The report on Allepo on the RTE 6.01 featured a quoting from the social media a/c of a purported Syrian girl begging for Turkish intervention in the conflict. It really is laughable that "reputable" media would feature such absolute nonsense.

Do they not know that Turkey is already involved ? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20 TheMercenary

Please explain why this is nonsense to the uninformed.

Popular thread for the newly reged

Popular thread for the newly reged

Liam Cuckingham, registered today with 1 post praising Assad and Putin :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Please explain why this is nonsense to the uninformed.

"On the internet nobody knows your a dog"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Posts by and responses to posts by rereg troll deleted.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭Oodoov

Lol my wife actually watched that "report" on the news at 9 and was laughing. Her actual words where "do people actually buy into this tripe".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

So ISIS were on the back foot in Mosul and appeared to be on the way out. The US announce they will start selling arms to Syrian rebels again. Next thing you know ISIS have taken over Mosul.

There is a big thing now where people inside Aleppo are tweeting about the impending massacre at the hands of government forces. Looking at some of the twitter profiles many of them have strong links with the rebel armies. Could be propaganda but I guess the next few days will tell.

So it seems we have another Aleppo cease fire organised by russia,assad and turkey the second such cease fire in 24 hours after the russians and Assad began bombing and Artillery strikes again after a previous was brokered with the same parties

So it seems we have another Aleppo cease fire organised by russia,assad and turkey the second such cease fire in 24 hours after the russians and Assad began bombing and Artillery strikes again after a previous was brokered with the same parties

Proof of that?

Let me guess a random tweet from a child inside Aleppo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

C'mon now. The rebels broke the last cease fire.

How many people in the West are actually THAT bothered about what is happening? Its bad, sure but people are hardly kicking up a big fuss about it. I don't see any huge protests about it in any major UK city or Dublin. I have seen bigger outcries when it comes to Israel.

I don't think many people give a toss frankly. No one seems to care.

• Advertisement

C'mon now. The rebels broke the last cease fire.

The rebel airforce flew invisible stealth aircraft to drop bombs on themselves,using some paper and pritt sticks

The rebel airforce flew invisible stealth aircraft to drop bombs on themselves,using some paper and pritt sticks

That wouldn't be the first time, they dropped bombs on themselves.

Who are these rebels and what are they fighting for?

"A wrote:
    . I don't see any huge protests about it in any major UK city or Dublin. I have seen bigger outcries when it comes to Israel.

It's not Murcia doing it that's why nothing more and nothing less ,
    The majority don't care and never will ,
    Now if America bombarded Aleppo we would have multiple threads full of faux outrage about America killing civilians ,

But in Syria and elsewhere it's called propaganda been pushed by msm

That wouldn't be the first time, they dropped bombs on themselves.

Enlightened us

"A wrote:
    . I don't see any huge protests about it in any major UK city or Dublin. I have seen bigger outcries when it comes to Israel.

It's not Murcia doing it that's why nothing more and nothing less ,
    The majority don't care and never will ,
    Now if America bombarded Aleppo we would have multiple threads full of faux outrage about America killing civilians ,

But in Syria and elsewhere it's called propaganda been pushed by msm
    Good point on America, I think if it was America doing the bombing, the outcry would be massive. I could picture protests in London in the hundreds of thousands and other cities in Europe. Which is bizarre, is America really hated that much that people are willing to ignore it if it isn't America doing it?

• Advertisement

How many people in the West are actually THAT bothered about what is happening? Its bad, sure but people are hardly kicking up a big fuss about it. I don't see any huge protests about it in any major UK city or Dublin. I have seen bigger outcries when it comes to Israel.

The usual few crusties outside the Russian embassy this evening. You are right though on the whole people don't give a hoot. They might put some nonsense on their facebook page or some such tripe to make themselves feel better though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Seems like the evacuation deal is back on, hopefully it actually goes ahead this time.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-38323591

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

The one thing I cannot understand for the life of me is the amount of people who use the SOHR as a source. It's a man in a living room of a semi-detached house in a suburb of Coventry with no direct sources on the ground but everything the SOHR publish is taken as gospel by main stream media outlets.

Why? I've never in my entire life heard of a source with so few credentials, resources or verifiable assets being used as the main, and sometimes only source, when reporting on anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

The one thing I cannot understand for the life of me is the amount of people who use the SOHR as a source. It's a man in a living room of a semi-detached house in a suburb of Coventry with no direct sources on the ground but everything the SOHR publish is taken as gospel by main stream media outlets.

Why? I've never in my entire life heard of a source with so few credentials, resources or verifiable assets being used as the main, and sometimes only source, when reporting on anything.

"If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed."

Mark Twain

You can apply the same logic to most media outlets.

Enlightened us

Trying to enlighten you would be an impossible task.

Maybe you can enlighten me. Who are these rebels and what are they fighting for?

Oodoov wrote: »
    Lol my wife actually watched that "report" on the news at 9 and was laughing. Her actual words where "do people actually buy into this tripe".

It's fcukin laughable. I watch now for entertainment purposes.

Are we honestly getting to the point where our main media outlets like Rte, Sky and the BBC are getting as bad as Fox News?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Oodoov wrote: »
    The usual few crusties outside the Russian embassy this evening. You are right though on the whole people don't give a hoot. They might put some nonsense on their facebook page or some such tripe to make themselves feel better though.
    I saw them on the news and to be fair they looked to me like a bunch of Irish Times/Guardian readers who believe anything and everything that Keelin Shanley, Mary Wilson, Sean O'Rourke or Aine Lawlor tells them.
    There's a reason why children in Aleppo have been used over and over for propaganda purposes.
    There will be no protests for the children of Yemen.

Gringo180 wrote: »

Are we honestly getting to the point where our main media outlets like Rte, Sky and the BBC are getting as bad as Fox News?
    RTE seem to believe anything the BBC tells them which is rather ironic. I have to pay for the BBC, I am basically paying for a propaganda institution I don't believe in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Because it's convenient and sounds legit and it adds credence to a wider narrative. It's nothing but a useful tool. A bit how the Taxpayers Alliance in the UK sound like concerned citizens when they're actually an ultra right wing think tank of professional lobbyists. To be honest I'd say half the stuff coming out now is speculation and agenda laden codswallop.

The same way that various media outlets were deployed in the run up to Ghadaffi's deposition saying he was massacring civilians from the air and all of that jazz and it turned out to be exaggerated.

The same way that before the first Gulf War we were told Iraqi soldiers were taking children out of incubators and the same way before the second Iraq War we were told Saddam had chemical weapons with which he could strike the UK in 45 minutes.

I'm not pro Russia or pro Assad, but there is definitely an agenda at play here in Syria and you'd want to be a total fool to swallow totally what's in the media at the moment.

As usual Fisk seems the only one worth reading.

• Advertisement

Grayson wrote: »
    The photo's are genuine. It was reported in many outlets. Even Assad said there was fighting there. Are you just trolling or are you wilfully ignoring evidence.

I'm neither trolling nor am I willfully ignorant.

I just watched a laughable episode featuring Katty Kay on the BBC regarding Aleppo. The utter lies were flabbergasting. She also has some dunce on claiming that Aleppo now faces hell. Her next guest was some tit who claimed that the US is close to full employment. This was this dildo's assertion in the face of interest rate increases in the US.

jmayo wrote: »
    Is Assad also conscripting Afghans, Kosovans, Iraqis, Somalians, Eritreans, Algerians, Pakistanis, Moroccans, Sudanese, Nigerians, Gambians ?

Because according to reports in September 2015 these were some of the main nationalities entering the EU and claiming asylum.
    In fact the vast majority were Kosovan for early 2015.

Really?

And how many escaped?
    And do you have a source for these reports?

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Who knows whats really going on behind the scenes - the media isn't exactly a reliable source of info at the best of times.

Just another troubled country to add to the list of places I'll never visit.

Trying to enlighten

So people in Aleppo have some how bombed themselves from the air,

Is that a back track ,not even the usual numptys would say something like that , actually one maybe

That 7 year old girl Bana tweeting in perfect English inside Syria is laughable. Did anybody also see the journalists Mr. Alhamdo's video :pac: How on earth are some people swallowing the line that government forces are going from City to City and just slaughtering innocent civilians :pac:

That 7 year old girl Bana tweeting in perfect English inside Syria is laughable. Did anybody also see the journalists Mr. Alhamdo's video :pac: How on earth are some people swallowing the line that government forces are going from City to City and just slaughtering innocent civilians :pac:
    Anyone who believes that is a ****ing moron.

So people in Aleppo have some how bombed themselves from the air,

Is that a back track ,not even the usual numptys would say something like that , actually one maybe

You're crazy. Good luck with that. :eek:

That 7 year old girl Bana tweeting in perfect English inside Syria is laughable.

Are you saying Syrians kids cant speak or communicate in English based off experience or just repeating someone else's nonsense ,

Kid using English and her mother happens to teach English ,

How do so many putinbots use English then

Unbelievable anti Assad propaganda. Laughable if it wasnt so serious.

• Advertisement

You're crazy. Good luck with that. :eek:

No perfectly sane unlike some I can quote

Advertisement