Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aleppo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Gatling wrote: »
    There you again ,

You don't know that ,

Just like the seven year old who can't possibly speak or commnictate in English

If you ask the Christian Syrians here in Germany (especially women), then yes they do support Assad. Mainly because Assad didn't allow Islamic law to be forced upon them.

A friend of mine living now in Dusseldorf left Aleppo some years ago because it just wasn't safe anymore, she doesn't even know if her apartment is still there or if someone has moved into to it.

To see her family she has to travel to Beirut and then they have to come over the border.

Before all this shíte began, Syria was even more liberal in Germany in many ways, she can't understand why the German girls don't dress up in a sexy way (as she puts it) for example. She had a car, she went out partying with her friends, she walked home late at night without problems.

When it all began she was against Assad but after some lunatics claiming a "holy war" turned up and used the situation to try and get a foot hold in the country her opinion changed and Assad was by far the lesser of two evils.

I can see her point of view to be honest, fair balls to her, I don't know how I'd feel in that situation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

Claimed votes sorry that's bs ,

How could half the population vote, when only 12% of the country was under his control at most 2 million people yet supposed 53% turnout it can't actually add up ,
    That English speaking 7 yo on Twitter could tell you that (unless someone comes along and said Syrian kids can't count )

That's as bad of the 125% of the population of Crimea voting when russians made up 56% of the population, it doesn't go .

So are you saying that 88% of the country that wasn't under his control were prevented from voting?

According to this article ISIS controlled 35% of Syrian territory in 2014, not 88%:

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/middle-east/2014/07/19/270-Syrian-fighters-killed-in-biggest-ISIS-operation-.html

Everyone on this thread backs up what they say with sources or links, everybody except you.
    Would you care to provide the source of your figure of 12% of Syria in government control?

I saw on the (so called) news last night that the Eiffel Tower was blacked out ...... for Aleppo!
    Imagine the authorities in Paris have come out in support of terrorists after the events in that city on November 13th 2015. I wonder why Le Pen's FN is gaining so much support?

A 7 year old would NOT use words like "moment" and "either"
    Time to move on ......

Isn't age 7 about the time you make your first holy communion? Can you imagine any children of communion age speaking like that? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

People really should stop using their own experiences with 7 year olds as some guideline as to how all 7 year olds should act or speak :)

Just because your kid is dumb as ****... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

This 7 year old is a real unfortunate. Bad enough to be in Aleppo at all but she's still in an area that is being shelled by the Syrian Army despite them controlling over 90% of the city.

This 7 year old is a real unfortunate. Bad enough to be in Aleppo at all but she's still in an area that is being shelled by the Syrian Army despite them controlling over 90% of the city.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/12/syrian-government-renews-shelling-east-aleppo-161214082824963.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Stop with the nonsense , sources on the ground yaeh i believe you ,

What nonsense. Why would Eva Bartlett lie about whats going on on the ground in Aleppo? She is on the record as saying most if not all Syrians in the city are pro Assad.

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    It's an undisputable fact that barrel bombs are far more indiscriminate than laser guided bombs, are you genuinely trying to debate that ?

And if you'd bother to read that link you'd know what those things are: laser guided bombs that can also be used as freefall bombs. It says so in the first paragraph. That still doesn't mean they are the same as barrel bombs. The latter are basically IED's that are dropped from planes with zero control over where they land.

http://www.type63.com/2015/08/discussion-why-barrel-bombs-are-nothing.html

I don't pretend to know about the intimate details of various bombs and their accuracy but I find it laughable that people are so outraged that Assad is allegedly using these barrel bombs when thousands upon thousands of cluster bombs and White Phosphorous (essentially napalm) bombs were used by the US/UK on Yugoslavia, Iraq, Afghanistan, etc.

Some poster complained that the Syrians were using barrel bombs, i.e. freefall bombs (his words). Everyone is cockahoop that Syria is using these dastardly barrel-bombs when everyone else uses laser-guided bombs. They're really grasping at straws trying to feign concern for Syrian civilians yet the 100s of 1000's of refugees who have fled they watch drown in the Med., or complain that they are all fighting-aged males who rape kids in detention centres and sexually assault German women on New Year's Eve.

And as far as I know the Russians are conducting the majority of the airstrikes. Are they using "barrel bombs"?

And the Syrian Air Force uses MiG 23 attack jets. Where do you strap a barrel bomb on that thing?

• Advertisement

People really should stop using their own experiences with 7 year olds as some guideline as to how all 7 year olds should act or speak :)

Just because your kid is dumb as ****... :D

If I was a 7 year old kid in the middle of a war zone, the last thing that would be on my mind would be tweeting to the world what's going on.

And so the city of Aleppo has been reduced to rubble but the internet and 4G systems are intact?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

HensVassal wrote: »
    You might as well be talking to a wall. That guy makes it up as he goes along. No evidence of anything, just crap he dreams up and prints without even checking it.

Was it not you who recently admitted you made it up.

Oops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Sir Peter Ford was being interviewed on Good Morning Britain earlier - didn't see it all only caught the end really but it was gas. Susanna Reid was trying to push it in a certain direction but he wasn't having it and the look on her face was priceless.

Must look at the full thing later if I can get my hands on it.

Anyone else see it?

If I was a 7 year old kid in the middle of a war zone, the last thing that would be on my mind would be tweeting to the world what's going on.

And so the city of Aleppo has been reduced to rubble but the internet and 4G systems are intact?

It's all well documented that Aleppo still has access to (albeit bad) 3G. I have no idea why you would think it wouldn't, it's not cut off from the outside world...

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/mena/2016/12/14/bana-alabed-verification-using-open-source-information/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

This is an interesting article in my opinion, note the headlines that say:

"....life in the once beautiful Syrian city of Aleppo before it was laid to waste by ISIS thugs ...."
    " ... stunning images of family life before IS lay siege ..."

Hang on a second, the media are now telling us that there are no ISIS in Aleppo, only moderates, opposition forces and rebels and it is Assad and the Russians who have laid Aleppo to waste!
    The photos are worth looking at. Would the Daily Mail publish anything like this now?
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3334443/A-way-life-destroyed-Intimate-photos-relaxed-Sunday-lunches-playing-pool-rare-insight-life-beautiful-Syrian-city-Aleppo-laid-ruin-ISIS-thugs.html
    No 7 year olds in Yemen tweeting in perfect English about Saudi bombs raining down!

Gringo180 wrote: »
    She is on the record as saying most if not all Syrians in the city are pro Assad.

And that means what exactly ,is she a spokesman for 22 million people no ,
    She traveled to Syria and asked a few people in Arabic imagine people knowing another language,
    And that's proof no sorry not even close worst she's a rt shill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Assad was always the best option, he allowed freedom of religion, the whole uprising was a ploy by countries like Saudi Arabia and Qatar to move an Iranian ally into their camp.
    The western support of this has been nothing short of supporting war and mass death, the same west with the same support of middle eastern countries who devastated Libya and helped so many people to die before their time.
    I don't think Assad is a great leader, but who were the alternatives?
    The FSA are Muslim centric rather than being secular and there are documented cases of it having members who are extremist and are terrorists.
    Then the rest are west hating terrorists.
    When all this started the devil we knew was still far better than the devil we did not know.
    When people complain about Russia and Assad and what has happened in Aleppo, we should remember this is happening because the west supported the wrong side, and will not accept that it accepted the wrong side.
    All we have gotten from supporting the wrong side is a country that has now a massive terrorism problem and which has caused a massive terrorism problem for the idiotic governments of the west who supported the wrong side.
    Assad was never going to send terrorists to Europe to kill innocent people, he is not a stupid person, and getting Russia in proved it.

Ah sure you'll have a few on here cheering on here if and when she's killed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

They are using VSATS and Microwave links into Turkey to maintain Internet connectivity.

https://www.alaraby.co.uk/english/blog/2016/10/14/new-fibre-optic-internet-connection-in-regime-held-aleppo

Back in the days of shítty Internet availability people in Ireland were doing the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭Oodoov

Deplorable comment and a measure of you as a person if you think that's correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

At least the evacuation seems to be going ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Not at all. I would be left wondering if her reported death was a propaganda piece though.

It's all well documented that Aleppo still has access to (albeit bad) 3G. I have no idea why you would think it wouldn't, it's not cut off from the outside world...

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/mena/2016/12/14/bana-alabed-verification-using-open-source-information/

Bellingcat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Really?

And how many escaped?
    And do you have a source for these reports?

Ok this is from BBC and it apepars to include all of 2015.
    In this Syria is indeed largest, but look at Afghan, Iraqi, and Kosovan.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34131911

I was also taking info from following which was for early 2015.
    I did mention early 2015 in my post.

refugees-are-coming-from-where-they-are-going-and-how-they-10482415.html

There is a big thing now where people inside Aleppo are tweeting about the impending massacre at the hands of government forces. Looking at some of the twitter profiles many of them have strong links with the rebel armies. Could be propaganda but I guess the next few days will tell.

A few radio news broadcasts I have heard over the last couple of days keeps quoting White Helmets as a source.
    Aren't there serious question marks about this organisation, yet the media in these parts seem to be treating them as reliable unbiased source.

This organisation has received 100 million US dollars in aid, according to themselves from the aid budgets of Japan, Denmark, the Netherlands, the UK and the US.
    They only operate in rebel controlled areas, surely that makes them somewhat biased in who they help ?

The White Helmets was started in 2013 by ex British army officer James Le Mesurier who seems to have tried a little of everything everywhere, including the grey zones of special forces, private security firms and intelligence in virtually all NATO wars, Yugoslavia in particular.

The Qataris, working through the Syrian National Council, helped assemble for Le Mesurier $300,000 in seed money from Japan, the US and the UK to kick start the White Helmets.
    Yep the Qataris. :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

Who do you think would ever cheer the death of a 7 year old child?

That's a despicable accusation.

Bellingcat?

Yes, as the link says.

It's as much a reliable source as many others used in this thread.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eliot_Higgins

His research so far seems to check out with regards to the geomapping of the location etc.
    It also talks about some other claims here how Aleppo supposedly shouldn't have 3G/4G.

Oodoov wrote: »
    if you think that's correct.

I'm correct .

Odd considering some believe she doesn't exist or isn't even in Syria.
    Or that she can communicate in English says a lot of the ilk of some

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭Oodoov

I'm correct .

Any chance you'd tell us who in particular will be cheering when a 7 year old child dies?

And that means what exactly ,is she a spokesman for 22 million people no ,
    She traveled to Syria and asked a few people in Arabic imagine people knowing another language,
    And that's proof no sorry not even close worst she's a rt shill

You really are a silly silly man.

Yes, as the link says.

It's as much a reliable source as many others used in this thread.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eliot_Higgins

His research so far seems to check out with regards to the geomapping of the location etc.
    It also talks about some other claims here how Aleppo supposedly shouldn't have 3G/4G.

It is not. Bellingcat have been shown to print lies and publish fake photographs.

You really are a silly silly man.

So can't explain how a child in Syria can't learn to speak or commnictate in English ,

Would you like more time ?

• Advertisement

It is not. Bellingcat have been shown to print lies and publish fake photographs.

No they haven't. At least not if you look at multiple sources instead of just swallowing whatever Russia and it's fans tell you to believe (the same Russia that contradicted their initial findings about the shooting of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370)

These are often the same people who quote Sputnik. All they claim is that Bellingcat lied about Malaysia Airlines Flight 17. Many of them also claim that for example MH370 was never lost + they (who exactly is never mentioned) know exactly where it is, but it's being covered up.

They deserve to be treated with contempt and can be put on the same level as Alex Jones and his ilk.

edit: I also think you're misunderstanding what Bellingcat is or aims to do. They are not out there to provide a specific narrative like the majority of media tend to do, they simply provide things they see as important evidence and ask people to make up their own mind about events, to think critical.

edit: To come back to the Twitter account of that 7 year old, here is a pretty decent analysis on why it's likely a real account from a real girl, but it's also a propaganda tool used by the media and maybe her mom too.

https://www.reddit.com/r/syriancivilwar/comments/5ic8z7/finding_bana_proving_the_existence_of_a_7yearold/db70ra6/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

I'm correct .

She can't be killed in Los Angeles.

No they haven't. At least not if you look at multiple sources instead of just swallowing whatever Russia and it's fans tell you to believe (the same Russia that contradicted their initial findings about the shooting of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370)

These are often the same people who quote Sputnik. All they claim is that Bellingcat lied about Malaysia Airlines Flight 17. Many of them also claim that for example MH370 was never lost + they (who exactly is never mentioned) know exactly where it is, but it's being covered up.

They deserve to be treated with contempt and can be put on the same level as Alex Jones and his ilk.

edit: I also think you're misunderstanding what Bellingcat is or aims to do. They are not out there to provide a specific narrative like the majority of media tend to do, they simply provide things they see as important evidence and ask people to make up their own mind about events, to think critical.

edit: To come back to the Twitter account of that 7 year old, here is a pretty decent analysis on why it's likely a real account from a real girl, but it's also a propaganda tool used by the media and maybe her mom too.

https://www.reddit.com/r/syriancivilwar/comments/5ic8z7/finding_bana_proving_the_existence_of_a_7yearold/db70ra6/

Jelle, Bellingcat published photos in Ukraine that were clear fakes and they were even used by ABC's 60 minutes program.....if you want to start a private discussion about this I'd be more than happy to oblige. I don't want to discuss it here and be bombarded by dross from other posters.

Jelle, Bellingcat published photos in Ukraine that were clear fakes and they were even used by ABC's 60 minutes program.....if you want to start a private discussion about this I'd be more than happy to oblige. I don't want to discuss it here and be bombarded by dross from other posters.

Sorry, but I completely disagree. The Russians said they were fake, provided some report that supposedly backed that up and then later changed their own story, basically proving Bellingcat right in their claim that it was a Russian BUK that was in the area they say the missile came from that shot down MH17.

The only sources I can find claiming Bellingcat's pics are fake are the types of right-wing conspiracy/pro-Trump websites that basically point to Russia's explanation of the events with no critical thought for themselves. Nothing personal but I doubt you have more information that comes from a credible source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

It was always a propaganda tool. And run by her mother.

Which doesn't mean she isn't there. I wasn't sure. But she was tweeting about the tooth fairy the other day and that's not an Arabic tradition at all.

So can't explain how a child in Syria can't learn to speak or commnictate in English ,

Would you like more time ?

Do you honestly think a 7 year old child typed that out herself on Twitter?

Do you honestly think a 7 year old child typed that out herself on Twitter?

No. Because, as the twitter account itself clearly states it's handled by her mom.

My only wonder about all this is: why aren't the Syrians bombing Moscow?

It's surely long overdue. No doubt Western media would suddenly start using the word "terrorism" to describe bombing of civilian areas then.

Sorry, but I completely disagree. The Russians said they were fake, provided some report that supposedly backed that up and then later changed their own story, basically proving Bellingcat right in their claim that it was a Russian BUK that was in the area they say the missile came from that shot down MH17.

The only sources I can find claiming Bellingcat's pics are fake are the types of right-wing conspiracy/pro-Trump websites that basically point to Russia's explanation of the events with no critical thought for themselves. Nothing personal but I doubt you have more information that comes from a credible source.

Watch the ABC 60 minutes program. It clearly shows pictures of two different locations that they claimed were the same spot. One picture had a building where the other one didn't and that was obscurred by an inset photo.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 9 Garymat67

My reply below

Most people are just questioning the western media narrative despite what you may like to believe that we are all die hard fans of Putin who sit around all day reading Russian newspapers.

Do you also question western media narrative? If Russian media started saying the US was tactically bombing hospitals every day of the week and for some reason could not name any of the hospitals it would be thought of as complete propaganda.

Most people are just questioning the western media narrative despite what you may like to believe that we are all die hard fans of Putin who sit around all day reading Russian newspapers.

Do you also question western media narrative? If Russian media started saying the US was tactically bombing hospitals every day of the week and for some reason could not name any of the hospitals it would be thought of as complete propaganda.

Garymat67 wrote: »

No idea why you think this is about you... ;)

Of course I question the narrative of every media channel. But if we're talking about the so-called 'fake pictures' from Bellingcat then there is (as far as I know) no proof that they are fake, only the word from the Russian government who later contradicted their initial claims. Which in turn basically showed that the initial claims by Bellingcat were correct.

That doesn't mean the Russians always lie, but I have no reason to believe websites like this (first Google result for 'Bellingcat lies') who seem to be incapable of independent thought.

My only wonder about all this is: why aren't the Syrians bombing Moscow?

It's surely long overdue. No doubt Western media would suddenly start using the word "terrorism" to describe bombing of civilian areas then.

Don't know what you mean by this.

:confused:

If you read the several threads on the occupation of Crimea and east Ukraine and the shooting down of Flight MH -17 ,

You will find the same posters with the same word for word opinions screaming Russophobia ,msm lies and it's all faked ,
    It's all denial ,denial , denial ,
    They have no alternative information other than Sputnik news or blogs that copy and paste Sputnik news ,

Even on here it's been repeated msm propaganda censorship even when posters contradict themselves they still call everyone else liars that don't worship putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Well, many of the Shia militias around Mosul are Iran-backed.

Not a clue what this has to do with my post though, I was merely calling out someone who claimed that 4000 fighters escaped and somehow the US let them ? Despite the US not being the ones surrounding the city.

Just how do you think the Iraqi army is able to surround Mosul and is able to advance into the city?
    It has been widely reported they crossed from the Iraqi side of border. You are being disingenuous if you don't acknowledge that such a mass movement of fighters, and the equipment to launch such an operation, could not go unnoticed by the Americans.

• Advertisement

Just how do you think the Iraqi army is able to surround Mosul and is able to advance into the city?
    It has been widely reported they crossed from the Iraqi side of border. You are being disingenuous if you don't acknowledge that such a mass movement of fighters, and the equipment to launch such an operation, could not go unnoticed by the Americans.

You're missing the point I think. Did they flee ? Apparently they did, but they did so before Mosul was surrounded. So far I still haven't seen anyone talk about how the Iraqi army let them just pass.

The only sources I can find about 4000 people fleeing Mosul after the city was surrounded make no mention of fighters, but mostly civilians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

By that claim surely pro putins on here couldn't type a sentence in English,

Some people just make me laugh

The irony is you are as blinkered as the pro-putins you cite with your go team America narrative;) Neither side are good guys.

If you read the several threads on the occupation of Crimea and east Ukraine and the shooting down of Flight MH -17 ,

You will find the same posters with the same word for word opinions screaming Russophobia ,msm lies and it's all faked ,
    It's all denial ,denial , denial ,
    They have no alternative information other than Sputnik news or blogs that copy and paste Sputnik news ,

Even on here it's been repeated msm propaganda censorship even when posters contradict themselves they still call everyone else liars that don't worship putin

Yes anyone who questions the western media loves putin, I've stopped watching the news the last while I cannot stand it they have whole days on sky news dedicated to Russia, Russia bombing Aleppo, Russia hacking US election, Russia hacking Brexit, Russia doping.

It's doing my head there's so obviously an agenda behind it, look up the agenda setting theory, basically what it is is that the more the media dwell on a subject the more important that subject will seem.

A good quote "the media doesn't reflect reality it filters and shapes it"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

If one was cynical like me one might think that it suits the US to get ISIS out of Mosul so that it can be easily retaken by Iraq forces, giving a major propaganda boost to the US's ally, whilst at the same time allowing ISIS to retake Syrian government/Russian held Palmyra.

But then again I am cynical and the US would never use civilians and tacitly aid the avowed enemy :rolleyes:

Anyone old enough to remember Irish aviation group getting stick from US for helping Iranian airline whilst at same time US government/military official was selling Iran arms ?

I am not allowed discuss …

I don't believe this, I said I'll put the news on for the first time in a few days so I stick on the BBC and there's Putin this is a gimmick I'm sick of it just read me some news, I don't want your spin or your interpretation or what you "think"

• Advertisement
Advertisement