Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AirPods available now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Dades wrote: »
    Was quite close to finally getting myself a pair of these and now the rumours are out that AirPods might be getting an update.

Given how long it's taken for the original pods to become available within a reasonable time, I'm shuddering to think how long before AirPods 2.0 might be on the virtual shelves.

That said, it makes sense to wait now assuming something is announced tomorrow.
    It will be more of an AirPods 1.2 rather than a complete overhaul. A small tweak to the charging case, putting the battery indicator on the outside and that's about it. I'd still wait and get the new ones but it won't be major. I doubt they'll even be announced, probably just quietly updated on the store.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

That's what I read too. I'd be surprised if there weren't some incremental updates to the operation, given they've turned their attention to them.

Plenty of time to gather any reviews no doubt before they become available.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Was quite close to finally getting myself a pair of these and now the rumours are out that AirPods might be getting an update.

Given how long it's taken for the original pods to become available within a reasonable time, I'm shuddering to think how long before AirPods 2.0 might be on the virtual shelves.

That said, it makes sense to wait now assuming something is announced tomorrow.

Rather than a major change of the actual product from the user's perspective, the update could be a minor tweak but with an improved manufacturing process which helps with availability.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Mine just arrived last Friday, but I may return to get the latest version.

No update to the actual AirPods, it seems. Just an updated case in the works to allow wireless charging (zero interest).

I need not delay my purchase after all!

• Advertisement

No update to the actual AirPods, it seems. Just an updated case in the works to allow wireless charging (zero interest).

I need not delay my purchase after all!

I actually think the wireless charging case (associated to the charging mat and other wirelessly charged devices) is a great feature. Much less clutter and cables on my bedside table.

But yeah it won't make anyone regret buying the AirPods, especially since (if I got it right) they said it is an optional accessory (if correct that's a bit of a joke for them not to include it by default).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,189 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Much less clutter and cables on my bedside table
    Not really as you still have to plug the charger in, my Samsung S8+ came with a free fast charger, so the precedent is there for Apple to follow.

smurfjed wrote: »
    Much less clutter and cables on my bedside table
    Not really as you still have to plug the charger in, my Samsung S8+ came with a free fast charger, so the precedent is there for Apple to follow.

Definitely less cluter as only one charger with an fixed and easy to manage cable would charge my iPhone, Apple Watch, and AirPods at the same time. Currently this requires 3 separate lose cables on the bedside table.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,189 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Is the Apple charger capable of supporting 3 devices at the same time? My samsung fast charger is slanted at 45 degrees and will only accept one phone at a time.

Is the Apple charger capable of supporting 3 devices at the same time? My samsung fast charger is slanted at 45 degrees and will only accept one phone at a time.

Yes they said it very clearly during the keynote and the PR picture shows it with 3 devices. Multiple device charging is is part of the current Qi standard though so it will only work with Apple devices.

• Advertisement

Yes they said it very clearly during the keynote and the PR picture shows it with 3 devices. Multiple device charging is not part of the current Qi standard though so it will only work with Apple devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Do these work for running or would they fall out?

Regular EarPods fall out on me.

Cloudio9 wrote: »

I only got them a few weeks ago, but very pleasantly surprised with the way they stay in my ears while running. Not having wires dragging them down makes a huge difference compared to the EarPods. They are actually the most confortable earphones I ever had to go running, once you realise they aren't going to fall off and stop paying attention you can just forget about them.

However having not isolation whatsoever can be a bit of a bummer depending on where you run. You don't want full isolation but in a urban environment having *some* isolation works better for me. I regularly run along the quays in the docklands as well as around Ringsend and that is a bit of a problem for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Then the AirPods will also fall out

quarryman wrote: »

Then the AirPods will also fall out

Have you actually tried them? Mileage might differ but for me it is might and day between the 2 and I've see a lot of similar feedback online?

How come they've such a long lead time on apple? Not shipping for two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ryaner777

If you find your earphones fall out during exercise try some bud locks. I got some from amazon for about €5 and they work really really well. It's just a little bit of rubber that attaches to the ear bud

How come they've such a long lead time on apple? Not shipping for two weeks.

Demand is higher than expected and their manufacturing process doesn't let them catch-up. They have actually capture over 80% of the market for truly wireless earphones which is probably unexpected.

It might be faster to get them from a shop which has them in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

yeah CompuB is a good option..I went with them and had them within 10 days a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

CompuB on Grafton Street had about 20 sets in stock last week when I was in there. Argos also have them in stock at the moment in some stores.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

There were loads of pairs in CompuB in Dundrum too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Bob24 wrote: »
    Have you actually tried them? Mileage might differ but for me it is might and day between the 2 and I've see a lot of similar feedback online?

Of course I have. I own both.

Finally splashed out on a pair of these yesterday.

They really do work seamlessly. I changed the double tap to pause/stop instead of Siri and that was it. I'm hooked. I used the wired headphones a lot and the luxury of having no wires to untangle, get caught on door handles, stuff in your pocket, get chewed by the cat, etc is soooo satisfying.

Finally splashed out on a pair of these yesterday.

They really do work seamlessly. I changed the double tap to pause/stop instead of Siri and that was it. I'm hooked. I used the wired headphones a lot and the luxury of having no wires to untangle, get caught on door handles, stuff in your pocket, get chewed by the cat, etc is soooo satisfying.

You can change the double tap separately on each.
    So for instance listening to audio/video double tab left to play/pause and double tab right for siri.
    That's how I have mine set up.

I just got them too. I have mine sat up to play/pause on left and skip track on right. I like them but are a little loose when walking around.

One annoying thing is if I turn on my pc it takes connects to them and kicks off my phone without asking.

Blazer wrote: »
    You can change the double tap separately on each.
    So for instance listening to audio/video double tab left to play/pause and double tab right for siri.
    That's how I have mine set up.
    Yeah, I think I set the left one up for next track. I don't use Siri except with the kids to ask it daft questions and watch it struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I have to say, the AipPods are one of the best things I've ever bought. I was really skeptical about them when they were first announced, but a friend got a pair during the summer and sang their praises. They don't feel tight in my ears, but they also haven't fallen out at all, even during running and exercise. Paring and connectivity is seamless. Charging with the case is effortless. They're way better and more convenient that any other in-ear bluetooth 'phones I've tried. I took some pleasure in throwing out an unused pair of Jabra Sport Rox that I absolutely hated. I have another set (can't remember the brand) that I gave to my wife. I have a pair of Bose QC35s for when I want noise cancelling. I can imagine a day when Apple buld active noise cancelling into a future iteration, which will be cool.

I've my double taps set up for previous track on the left and next track on the right. Pause/play is handed by removing one/putting it back in.

I really only use Siri in the car when I'm not using the AirPods, and I use "Hey Siri" to call it up. Since I'm going to have to talk to it anyway, I don't see much point in having a tap to enable her when it can be activated my voice.

The WatchOS 4 update that show you the currently playing track on your Watch as soon a your raise your hand is great - particularly for changing the volume. One the thing that the AirPods are missing that almost all other head/earphones have is the ability to change volume without taking your phone out. Siri isn't at all practical for doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Having had mine now for a couple of weeks I'm really liking them. I constantly have them in my pocket and can just whip them out when needed, particularly in work. When I want to watch a youtube video or review whilst at home, I can now do so without annoying the other half. Great too for phone calls in and around the house.

I've also used them a couple of times whilst watching TV late at night which is also a great useful feature.

phutyle wrote: »
    One the thing that the AirPods are missing that almost all other head/earphones have is the ability to change volume without taking your phone out. Siri isn't at all practical for doing this.
    I can see how trying to add a tactile volume control to such a lightweight, balanced thing as an AirPod was not practical.

I thought this was going to be a big deal, but it's fine. I carry my phone around in my front pocket and use the volume buttons on the side of the phone without even thinking about it.

AirPods are prime example of how Apple didn't really innovate, but just did something really well.

• Advertisement

I can see how trying to add a tactile volume control to such a lightweight, balanced thing as an AirPod was not practical.

I thought this was going to be a big deal, but it's fine. I carry my phone around in my front pocket and use the volume buttons on the side of the phone without even thinking about it.

AirPods are prime example of how Apple didn't really innovate, but just did something really well.

Er they did innovate.
    They're the first company to be able to stream simultaneously to 2 separate bluetooth channels simultaneously. Other companies have tried and failed for years whereas Apple succeeded with the creation of the W1 chip. This is one of the reasons why the airpods can flawlessly play back video without any lag whatsoever.
    And its pretty easy to increase volume..just double tap and tell siri "increase volume to 80%" etc.

Advertisement