Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build - lighting

Options
  • 13-12-2016 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,125 ✭✭✭✭

Few questions, hopefully not too dumb!

we are closing on a new build next week, snag all done, very happy.

query 1 - we have asked the lads to move our island, they did it, all looks good, realised yesterday that there are two hanging light fittings over the old location, they will now need to be moved. How big a job is that to ask them to do (need to move them 3 feet maybe). If its not reasonable to ask the builder to move them how much should we budget for this.

query 2 - we have a sitting room on the first floor, the room is standard height (downstairs has 9ft ceilings) so we dont want anything hanging from the ceiling. As it stands there is one light fitting hanging from the centre of the room, we would rather have leds downlighters fitted. i presume the fact there is no flooring laid in the floor above makes now the best time to do this?

Room is 4.1m wide by 5.5m long, should we be fitting 4 or 6 (we will have standing lamps as well) and how much should we budget for this?

our house is one of the first to close so there will be tradesmen on site for the next few months, we get on well with the foreman so he may let us have access to one of his electricians and we can pay the guy for his time

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Cyrus wrote: »
    query 1 - we have asked the lads to move our island, they did it, all looks good, realised yesterday that there are two hanging light fittings over the old location, they will now need to be moved. How big a job is that to ask them to do (need to move them 3 feet maybe). If its not reasonable to ask the builder to move them how much should we budget for this.

Impossible to say based on the information provided. Is there an upstairs above the ceiling or is it just a roof above? How way is it to access the cables? You may be luck and fishing the cables without needing to drill joists will be possible. However this is unlikely.
    query 2 - we have a sitting room on the first floor, the room is standard height (downstairs has 9ft ceilings) so we dont want anything hanging from the ceiling. As it stands there is one light fitting hanging from the centre of the room, we would rather have leds downlighters fitted. i presume the fact there is no flooring laid in the floor above makes now the best time to do this?

Yes.
    Room is 4.1m wide by 5.5m long, should we be fitting 4 or 6 (we will have standing lamps as well) and how much should we budget for this?

Personal preference and it depends on the lamps you select also how much light you want.

My own view is that less is more with downlighting. I think that lines of downlighters make a ceiling look like a runaway and date a home. It is a real 90s look IMHO.

Many people "over light" sitting rooms rather than thinking where they actually want light. Generally a very bright sitting room is not pleasant. A dimly lit sitting room is best for watching TV. Switch on a local standing lamp if you want to read. Generally you don't need the room to be lit up like a football stadium. Also install dimmer switches.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,125 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

2011 wrote: »
    Impossible to say based on the information provided. Is there an upstairs above the ceiling or is it just a roof above? How way is it to access the cables? You may be luck and fishing the cables without needing to drill joists will be possible. However this is unlikely.

Personal preference and it depends on the lamps you select also how much light you want.

My own view is that more is less with downlighting. I think that lines of downlighters make a ceiling look like a runaway and date a home. It is a real 90s look IMHO.

Many people "over light" sitting rooms rather than thinking where they actually want light. Generally a very bright sitting room is not pleasant. A dimly lit sitting room is best for watching TV. Switch on a local standing lamp if you want to read. Generally you don't need the room to be lit up like a football stadium. Also install dimmer switches.

thanks

re the units above the island there is an upstairs, after that i dont know

so would 4 downlighters work in that sitting room, arranged in a square one toward each corner?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

re the units above the island there is an upstairs, after that i dont know

So most likely they will lift floorboards to move the wiring.
    so would 4 downlighters work in that sitting room, arranged in a square one toward each corner?

It could, depends on what you want to achieve. I think that 6 downlighters would look terrible, but that is just my opinion. If it was my room I would go for none.
    How bright do you want this room? What do you want to do in it, just watch TV and relax ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,125 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

2011 wrote: »
    So most likely they will lift floorboards to move the wiring.

It could, depends on what you want to achieve. I think that 6 downlighters would look terrible, but that is just my opinion. If it was my room I would go for none.
    How bright do you want this room? What do you want to do in it, just watch TV and relax ?

Is lifting the floor boards good or bad? No flooring laid so it's just the base

We just want the room to watch tv, we thought about spots because we don't want anything hanging down and my wife hasn't seen any simple flush fittings she likes

I'd rather not bother with spots to be honest

Is lifting the floor boards good or bad?
    Generally quite simple.
    No flooring laid so it's just the base

Even better.
    We just want the room to watch tv, we thought about spots because we don't want anything hanging down and my wife hasn't seen any simple flush fittings she likes

So then you won't want the room to be bright. So if you want downlighters go for a maximum of 4. Have a double dimmer switch controlling them. That way you have the option of just switching 2 on and you can dim as required.
    I'd rather not bother with spots to be honest

I learnt that it was easier to do what I was told a long time ago :)

My friend asked me for lighting advice not so long ago. I gave him the same advice I gave you for a slightly larger room. He ignored me and installed 12 downlighters at vast expense. The very first day he switched on the lights he told me he would never use them again, too bright :D

• Advertisement

2011 may have meant less is more with D/L's. perhaps not.

My mistake. You are right, I have corrected it now.
    4 as you describe will not be enough
    Not enough for what?
    and will look naff, at best.

My preference would be none.
    Perhaps 4 would be "naff", your opinion is as valid as mine.
    My personal view is that lines of downlighters is a very dated look.
    Each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I have deleted mine so you amend yours if you see fit.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

I have deleted mine so you amend yours if you see fit.

You shouldn't delete your post.
    You just have a different taste than I do.
    There is no right or wrong with taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

For anyone that is installing lights over an island in a kitchen get them on a separate switch, means you have just have dim lights at night.
    Also if your getting a built in dresser unit with lights in the kitchen get the lights put on the same switchpanel as the main lights.

Advertisement