Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2003 Mercedes Benz E 200 Kompressor advice

Options
  • 13-12-2016 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi I’m Considering buying a 2003 Mercedes Benz E 200 Kompressor , Automatic.
    I’ve know the garage owners for a few years the car is spotless, in great condition he’s looking for 3k, any advice is appreciates. thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭74merc

Check if the SBS (Servotronic Braking System) pump has been changed.  I'm not sure if the car will have the M111 engine or M271. If it is the latter then it suffers some issues with timing chain stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ETRY

Thanks 74merc i'll ask the guys in the garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Soarer

Thirsty.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭LariToper

Have an 04 E200K auto myself for nearly 2 years, so far I'm happy with it. Like mentioned above timing chains can be an issue in these, change them every 90,000 miles is the figure I've heard. I bought mine at 120k and changed it the week after to be sure, cost around 550 IIRC.

Overall I thing they're excellent value for money, reasonable tax and insurance, power isn't too bad, be aware that the auto box is slow as christmas, its no sports car, but i still think it's right for the car.

Everyone will nag you that you will be drinking petrol in an auto supercharged 1.8 petrol, it's not that bad, 35mpg once your not sitting in traffic, managed to squeeze 45mpg on a trip cruising on the motorway at 100kmph.

If I was spending 3k, I'd be expecting elegance/avantgarde spec and leather seats. TBH I actually don't think I'd buy one without it. Its my favourite thing about the car, the comfort is second to none (well maybe an s class).

Last thing I can think of, fold down rear seats were an option (and quite an expensive one), the one thing I wish mine had.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ETRY

Thanks for the advice LariToper

• Advertisement
Advertisement