Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indiependence 2017

Options
  • 13-12-2016 4:26pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭

INDIEPENDENCE Music & Arts Festival
    We're going to announce the first three acts on the INDIE17 line up at 10am tomorrow morning!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

If I had to guess I would say : Coronas, Gavin James, Picture This, Hudson Taylor and/or Walking Cars will be announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

lc180 wrote: »
    If I had to guess I would say : Coronas, Gavin James, Picture This, Hudson Taylor and/or Walking Cars will be announced.

Hope they stay away from most of those to be honest, have enjoyed their impressive announcements in recent years and those would be drab to the extreme.

Corholio wrote: »
    Hope they stay away from most of those to be honest, have enjoyed their impressive announcements in recent years and those would be drab to the extreme.

I dislike everyone of the acts I mentioned but I think they're realistic. I was at Indie this summer and the likes of Walking on Cars & The Blizzards packed out tents while international bands like Editors and Idlewild struggled.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I know its not gonna happen but i think a band like Jimmy Eat World would be a great headliner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

Manic street preachers
    Coronas
    Sigma dj

Manics r a great addition!

• Advertisement

davywalsh7 wrote: »
    Manic street preachers
    Coronas
    Sigma dj

Manics should pull a decent crowd so good booking for them.

They should rename the main stage after the Coronas they play there every second year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭showpony1

lc180 wrote: »
    Manics should pull a decent crowd so good booking for them.

They should rename the main stage after the Coronas they play there every second year!

Coronas announced as headliners for this and Sea sessions on the same day ffs :rolleyes:

The Corona's manager is one of the bookers for Indie so that explains it :).

Manics is a strong headliner though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭showpony1

The Corona's manager is one of the bookers for Indie so that explains it :).

Manics is a strong headliner though

yeah dont mind them doing that but was thinking of going to sea sessions this year and feel like ive seen them playing as "special guests" aka for free at gigs ive gone to about a million times at this stage so its underwhelming, don't know how they draw crowds to 3arena/olympia.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭lukin

I've never been to this festival even though I am living in Cork. There's never been a band playing there that I have liked enough to go. That's changed with the news this morning though as I'm a big Manics fan so count me in :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Manic Street Preachers is a very good headliners for a festival like this. Should entice a few more to head to this festival. Hope to see it get a bit bigger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Manics are a good booking for sure. Surprised me with that one.

Went last year and had a grand time- few decent gigs but an awful lot on the bill I wouldn't be bothered with.

Coronas haven't been there since 2014 (as special guests) and 2012 (as headliners) going off Indiependence twitter yesterday, and with a new album out in the spring it's no surprise they're there. Dreadful band, can't understand the appeal at all.

On the capacity - they've reported in local newspapers that they're not increasing from the 10k next year. But, early bird and tiers 1 and 2 have already sold out (before the announcement) so I wonder will they think twice about that.

If they got a bit more variety on the bill, I'd be happy to go - it's only half an hour up the road. I know it has 'indie' in its name but almost every band at it sounds the bloody same to me. Throw in some hip hop (Rusangano Family?), some electronic stuff (Daithi? Mmoths?) And I'm on board again.

And it's not like it'd break the bank to get a few from the Irish scene in that vein!

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

Would the Coronas ever feck off! Siht sick of them at this stage :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

The Manic Street Preachers ,now that's a pleasant surprise ,big coup for Mitchelstown.

One of my favourite bands ,I saw them in the Opera house in Cork in 1998 ,I never thought I'd see them back in Cork again but I'm well excited now !

When will we know which of the two days the Manics are playing? I suppose I could buy a ticket for both days but I can't afford to do that until after Xmas.
    It won't be sold out before then surely?

lukin wrote: »
    When will we know which of the two days the Manics are playing? I suppose I could buy a ticket for both days but I can't afford to do that until after Xmas.

It's a three day festival so they could be on any of those.
    I don't think the daily breakdown was revealed until the week of the festival this year.
    In terms of selling out, it's hard to say - they burned through early bird and tiers 1 and 2 within hours of putting them on sale and have indicated that there won't be an increase in capacity from last year's 10k.
    I wouldn't expect it to sell out any time soon, but y'never know with this - if they added the right band (someone like Picture This would be a big draw for the typical crowds at Indie over the years, for e.g.), the last batch of tickets could be snapped up really quickly.
    That said, they may have put f*ck all tickets in the lower price brackets to generate a bit of a buzz and get more money from sales down the line.

It's a three day festival so they could be on any of those.
    I don't think the daily breakdown was revealed until the week of the festival this year.
    In terms of selling out, it's hard to say - they burned through early bird and tiers 1 and 2 within hours of putting them on sale and have indicated that there won't be an increase in capacity from last year's 10k.
    I wouldn't expect it to sell out any time soon, but y'never know with this - if they added the right band (someone like Picture This would be a big draw for the typical crowds at Indie over the years, for e.g.), the last batch of tickets could be snapped up really quickly.
    That said, they may have put f*ck all tickets in the lower price brackets to generate a bit of a buzz and get more money from sales down the line.

Three days?Great, that means I will probably have to buy a ticket for each day to be certain I get to see the manics. I am only interested in seeing them as I don't keep up to date with the latest bands. If I wait until it is announced which day they are playing they will almost certainly be sold out. I suppose once I know what day they are playing I could sell the two tickets for the other two days.

Three days?Great, that means I will probably have to buy a ticket for each day to be certain I get to see the manics. I am only interested in seeing them as I don't keep up to date with the latest bands. If I wait until it is announced which day they are playing they will almost certainly be sold out. I suppose once I know what day they are playing I could sell the two tickets for the other two days.

They might only announce the full day by day breakdown a couple weeks in advance but they will announce which headliner is which night a few months early when they sell days tickets. I wouldn't worry too much.

Keep an eye out, sure.
    I don't think day tickets are on sale yet but they may well announce the headline acts for each day when they put the tickets on sale.
    You could always try messaging the bands on FB/Twitter, sometimes they respond with a date if it is agreed.
    Alternatively, you could just chance your arm with a 3-day ticket. Its pretty reasonably priced at €119, in comparison to (I think) about €50 per day for the single passes.
    I went last year with the aim of catching Editors and Ash and had a pretty fun weekend.
    There's a lot of crap in there but it was good fun to hang out for a few days.
    It's not far from Mitchelstown (walking distance) and about 30 minutes from Cork city if you didn't want to camp either, so few options!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

This never sells out that fast, been there in some shape or form the last 3 years from either camping or just going down for the night.

Manics will draw a big crowd for sure though, big booking for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Johnnyjump

davywalsh7 wrote: »
    Manic street preachers
    Coronas
    Sigma dj

I'd go for Manics, so anything else is a bonus.

I see Franz Ferdinand announced awhile ago for a scottish festival the same weekend as Indie , Would be another great headliner and would def buy my ticket straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Joebags

Is there a way for unsigned bands to apply for this Festival?

The tickets for Indiependence are selling fast. I wanted to wait until the 5 January to buy mine so I could put it on my credit card and not have to pay for it until the end of February but I went ahead and bought it now as I wouldn't risk waiting until the 5th.
    I could only get a three day camping ticket but the only thing is I don't intend to camp (I may only come in one day in fact and go home that evening, depending on who else is added to the line-up). I assume this won't be a problem?I've never been to Indiependence so I don't know how it works but I assume with this type of ticket you can come and go as you please.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

the 5th is 2 days away :confused:
    i doubt they're selling fast enough that they'll be sold out by the end of this month, let alone in 2 days time. i'd be surprised if it's sold out before the summer TBH.

to answer your question, yes, you can come and go as you please.

the 5th is 2 days away :confused:
    i doubt they're selling fast enough that they'll be sold out by the end of this month, let alone in 2 days time. i'd be surprised if it's sold out before the summer TBH.

to answer your question, yes, you can come and go as you please.

Thanks. Yes I know it's two days away but I have discovered it pays to be paranoid :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭john.han

manics have announced a gig for the Saturday, so that means either the Friday or the Sunday for them, most likely the friday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

john.han wrote: »
    manics have announced a gig for the Saturday, so that means either the Friday or the Sunday for them, most likely the friday

erm, where did they announce?

They are doing Live from Times Square in NYC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

john.han wrote: »

Newcastle!

Advertisement