Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atm card cloned in roselawn

Options
  • 13-12-2016 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭

My dad banks with ulster bank and got a call early Friday to say his card was cloned and attempted use in milwaukee us. He only uses the atm in rose lawn outside testosterone.

Anyway he went to the branch in the village and apparently was third one there that day.

He was in the pub last night and various people had been in mentioned same issue...cloned cards being used in Taiwan and Canada

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Obviously Tesco

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

amtc wrote: »
    Obviously Tesco

Best auto-correct I've seen in ages :D

Thanks for the heads-up, it's a machine I've used a good few times myself in the past, but I think I'll give it a miss for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Same thing happened to my dad, he's with Bank of Ireland, got a call yesterday saying someone in Milwaukee tried to use his card.

That Tesco ATM is dodgy, two different times I've seen people use it and not get any money out.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Austin1

My mother's card had an attempted transaction in Chicago.

The card would be used at the Roselawn Tesco ATM at least once or twice a month.

The bank have cancelled her card and are sending out a new one, which will "supposedly" take 3 to 5 working days. Great - that's all she needs a week before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Obviously Tesco

Lol I was wondering if there was a new all male gym in Roselawn I hadn't heard about! Funny I only used that atm the other day for the first time. Must keep an eye on my account.

Thanks for heads up OP!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Ulster bank blanch centre and AIB Molloys/spar have also been hit too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

oblivious wrote: »

How do you know this. Who do we know all these people didn't use the same online service?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Both parents had their cards skimmed. Talked to the guards, and they said they had similar complaints about Roselawn ATM and the ATM outside Supervalu in Blanch village.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Swan Curry wrote: »
    That Tesco ATM is dodgy, two different times I've seen people use it and not get any money out.

It has needed to be fixed for a while, you have to select 'other amount' and type in the amount to get money. None of the buttons work when you try and select an amount shown on screen.

Thanks for the heads up OP, a machine I use regularly

Because my dad doesn't use online banking and only ever uses that machine or the branch one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Coolmine17

My card was skimmed too last friday morning about 4 am from Milwaukee approx. 200 euro. I had assumed it was the Blanchardstown Centre one as I use it quite often but I do recall using the Roselawn one a month or so ago so must have been that :-(

On Facebook warning against all ones in centre, supervalu and molloys.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,349 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

On Facebook warning against all ones in centre, supervalu and molloys.
    Could you provide a link to this post please?

I'd like to pass that on to pals/colleagues who might use those machines.

It's on the blanchardstown page which is a closed site so can't post. I see David mcguinness has it on his Facebook now
    I was just onto the guards re my dad's one and they have over 50 complaints now....mainly us but also Nepal and far east

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

David McGuinness just links to this thread and doesn't mention the shopping centre, only Roselawn.

Well so far named ulster bank beside nandos, supervalu, molloys, and carpenters

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Folks, great to pay attention to the ATMs, but there has probably been some huge data leak in the Irish banking system / Ulster Bank that we don't publicly know about. Had two cards compromised in the last 4 months, same happened to a couple of friends. Boards is also full of such reports. Still, always double check for skimming devices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Cdosrun

January wrote: »
    David McGuinness just links to this thread and doesn't mention the shopping centre, only Roselawn.

Off topic but.

I looked up who he is and Wikipedia says he's 1000 years of age. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Cdosrun wrote: »
    Off topic but.

I looked up who he is and Wikipedia says he's 1000 years of age. :)

So it does. Interesting! :pac:

beauf wrote: »
    oblivious wrote: »

How do you know this. Who do we know all these people didn't use the same online service?

A friends card was cloned at Ulster bank in the center and Molloys staff warned me the ATM hasmd been compromised

• Advertisement

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Folks, great to pay attention to the ATMs, but there has probably been some huge data leak in the Irish banking system / Ulster Bank that we don't publicly know about. Had two cards compromised in the last 4 months, same happened to a couple of friends. Boards is also full of such reports. Still, always double check for skimming devices.

Garda Fraud squad informed my friend that its a gang using a 2 mm sleeve on the ATMs. Near impossible for people to see. But that do still need to collect you're pin number. Load's of ATM been hit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

A friends got skimmed at Ulster Bank at Blanch Centre, wifes got skimmed at Ulster Bank in Roselawn and I think the Spar at the off licence is Ulster Bank too, they look like the targeted ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Eg88

My card was cloned on Friday so was my mams and dads that day! 192 Euro taken from each account and used in USA. Used ATM at Tesco the previous day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Shemale wrote: »
    A friends got skimmed at Ulster Bank at Blanch Centre, wifes got skimmed at Ulster Bank in Roselawn and I think the Spar at the off licence is Ulster Bank too, they look like the targeted ATM.

Do you mean the ATM on the Clonsilla Rd, which is located between Molloy's Off License and Spar? It's an AIB machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Which is the Ulster Bank ATM in the Blanch Centre? Weary as I used the one next to Eddie Rockets tonight (also noted one was out of order too :/)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The one beside Nandos is definitely Ulster Bank. Not sure about the one beside Eddie Rockets though, possibly PTSB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

They use them in the States because their ATMs are still using only the old magnetic stripe technology.

The foot dragging on rolling out chip and pin universally is crazy at this stage.

We shouldn't have mag stripes anymore at all. It's all for backwards compatibility with obsolete systems.

They'll accept a cloned magnetic card and not look for a chip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

They use them in the States because their ATMs are still using only the old magnetic stripe technology.

Thought almost all ATM machines here use the magnetic strip. It's only the in-shop ones and card readers that use the chip. Mind you, I live in Donegal so we still rely on VHS :D

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

Great to know it's unsafe to use your debit card in ATMs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

FanadMan wrote: »
    Thought almost all ATM machines here use the magnetic strip. It's only the in-shop ones and card readers that use the chip. Mind you, I live in Donegal so we still rely on VHS :D

They do! The strip on my PTSB card was damaged once by being scratched down the middle and no ATM could read it. Had no idea ATMs use the mag strip seems a bit odd that we moved to chip and pin ages ago but they still use old fashioned tech. In particular such unsafe technology.

Advertisement