Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atm card cloned in roselawn

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

They do! The strip on my PTSB card was damaged once by being scratched down the middle and no ATM could read it. Had no idea ATMs use the mag strip seems a bit odd that we moved to chip and pin ages ago but they still use old fashioned tech. In particular such unsafe technology.

Last time my card was damaged (in Galway, not in the middle of nowhere lol), no ATM would read it. Went to a newsagents and bought something and got cashback - it used the chip rather than the outdated and extremely fragile magnetic strip.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

FanadMan wrote: »
    Last time my card was damaged (in Galway, not in the middle of nowhere lol), no ATM would read it. Went to a newsagents and bought something and got cashback - it used the chip rather than the outdated and extremely fragile magnetic strip.

It's ridiculous that the strip is still use for anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

They do! The strip on my PTSB card was damaged once by being scratched down the middle and no ATM could read it. Had no idea ATMs use the mag strip seems a bit odd that we moved to chip and pin ages ago but they still use old fashioned tech. In particular such unsafe technology.

They use both here. The machine identifies what type of card it is and authenticates with the chip.

The magstripe technically shouldn't be necessary except that the banks in certain markets are refusing to move past 1970s technology.

We simply shouldn't have the stipes on cards at all anymore. They're so vulnerable to being closed it is actually insane that they're still in use. It's like locking up your house with a sophisticated security system then putting the key under the mat and writing the alarm code on a note in case your American cousin who doesn't believe in such things visits.

The ATM knows (from the card number) if it should be looking for a chip or not. If there's no chip that Irish card won't process in Ireland or any EMV country.

It will process in the United States and certain developing world countries that don't use EMV cards. That's why they transmit your copied card details to the USA, make a fake card there and withdraw cash.

Simplest security measure Irish banks could make is to disable ATM access by default in the USA unless a customer specifically asks them to enable it.

We could even have a EMV card for use in Ireland and around Europe and then have the legacy cards for countries still using old technology.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

Last Friday I went to use the machine at spar in littlepace. Went through my transaction fine. Spat the card back out and no cash. Then machine went out of service for a few minutes. Had a plumber standing beside me I was trying to pay for some work so tried again and it worked fine. Only one transaction came out of my account but someone approached me and said his wife had lost 300 quid on same machine earlier that day. Possibly linked hearing this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

A family member was done out of 200 from the Roselawn ATM, anyone any idea if you ever get the money back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

That sounds more like a communication error during the transition or the machine physically jammed or something non-malicious anyway.

Usually the bank machines will pick up errors like that automatically although, it can take a while for the funds to reappear.

If you get a failed transaction like that, it's always worth calling the bank and getting them to log the error and check it out. Assuming that the transaction didn't go though or that it'll be reconciled automatically is a not a great idea. A couple of hundred Euro is a couple of hundred Euro. A few mins talking to a call centre is worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

A family member was done out of 200 from the Roselawn ATM, anyone any idea if you ever get the money back?

"Done" how?

If it is genuine fraud then you get refunded.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

"Done" how?

Cloned and used abroad

That's good news so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Maybe Santa has an ulterior motive for only accepting cash in Blanchardstown centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

VeVeX wrote: »
    Maybe Santa has an ulterior motive for only accepting cash in Blanchardstown centre.

Tax avoidance ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

"Done" how?

If the card is visa they are quickish at refunding. But if it's one of the old bank cards it will requide reporting to the garda and proof of faud, which cab take time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I know off topic and I am the op but I took 200 euro out of machine on Liffey Street. All dud notes. Quite embarrassing as was payment for dinner with new boyfriend. Waiter wouldn't take them. Took me months to get cash back

Advertisement