Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Van insurance

• 13-12-2016 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi there this is my first post.
    But I was looking to find out who the best insurance companies are to get van insurance from. I had my van insured last year at a price of €685. Now this year it's gone up to €1280, which I think is mental. My van was previously modified with 3 extra seats in the back, and this shows on the tax book as a Crew cab. Any information would be much appreciated. Thanx in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭oinkely

€725 in August tpft with axa for a 6 seat crew cab - sp&d only, no commercial use.
    Was €500 last year for Fully comp with open drive!

Couldn't get any other company to even quote!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

oinkely wrote: »
    €725 in August tpft with axa for a 6 seat crew cab - sp&d only, no commercial use.
    Was €500 last year for Fully comp with open drive!

Couldn't get any other company to even quote!

Funnily enough axa wouldn't quote me because I wanted s & pd on my berlingo. Ended up sticking with liberty for €650 tpft as I couldn't get quotes anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Nialldonaghy

Thanx for the replies. I got a quote for insure my van @ €712 That was through Axa. Then when I got the paper work out they only had 3 seats on it. So I went back to them and they then told me Axa wouldn't insure it because it was modified. I went back to my last insurance company and they brought it down from €1280 to €930. So I had to go ahead with that. Come this time next year I might need to change to something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

insure my van is not cheap as they used to they wanted 750 euro for my focus van got a better quote with mike murphy insurance in sandyford for 620 includes step back cover thats with aviva

• Registered Users Posts: 6 BEC21

Help! I have bought a small van (2007) which I need for transporting small goods etc but I can't get insurance because I don't fall into the insurance companies 'business profile ' i.e. I am not a tradesmen

Only 1 company dared give me a quote of €966 on a 10 year old van - that is 40% of what I paid for the van!

Anyone had similar issues and if so any solutions?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

966 seems right if its first time insurance the days of getting it for 4 or 500 seems to be gone and if the van is over ten years old that another problem if carry your own goods ie trade carpenter window cleaner painter etc but if u carry small boxes does that mean u are a courier with they have to know wat u do for the policy

Thanks Jacob

Not a courier - basically moving first aid kit to venues when courses are running

Most of the time it is parked up and kit in storage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

BEC21 wrote: »
    Thanks Jacob

Not a courier - basically moving first aid kit to venues when courses are running

Most of the time it is parked up and kit in storage

Explain to them that you are a course organisor and need the van to transport materials. Give your PPS No. as your vat no.

Nice suggestion Kristopherus

I will try that…..I have spent all morning trying to explain, but it is proving impossible

I can only assume that if it is this difficult to get van insurance there are a lot of uninsured vans on the roads of Ireland!

It seems that unless I sell my car and swap the no claims to the van then I wont get insurance. I have tried:

-Aviva
    -Mike Murphy
    -Quote Devil
    -Insure my van
    - Wexford Insurance
    - FDB

Still none can give me a quote……crazy!

So I now have a Van that I cant use, as I cant get insurance, and the only way to be legally able to drive the van is if I sell my car and swap No-claims bonus over

I give up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Your age?
    Who drives Car mainly if you'll be driving van ?
    Type of van?
    How many years NCB have u earning in your name on your car policy

Hi

in my 40's

I will be driving van when needed but keeping car

Citroen Dispatch 07 plate

I have over 5 years NCD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hi

in my 40's

I will be driving van when needed but keeping car

Citroen Dispatch 07 plate

I have over 5 years NCD

Could you not get an estate car and limo tint the back windows? Be more storage and cost less than running 2 vehicles.

Yeah - I will have to look at an alternative anyway as insurance isn't going to happen

I would be interested to know if anyone else has the same issues and if the insurance companies are interested in the difficulties people have!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Yeah - I will have to look at an alternative anyway as insurance isn't going to happen

I would be interested to know if anyone else has the same issues and if the insurance companies are interested in the difficulties people have!

Insurance companies don't give a toss, it's mandatory to have insurance so they can charge as much as they want.

It's our politicians who should be resolving the issues but they are only worried about how much expenses they can get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Ask AXA direct, if mirror NCB from car policy available as van just bought recently
    Driver will be restrict to you only with possibly partner, if 1..

Advertisement