Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord want me Out!!!!

Options
  • 13-12-2016 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi all
    I am a tenant and been living at my current place for almost 7 years now.
    Now the landlord told me lately that he is willing to move to the house because he got a new job ...strange things is no others tenants sharing are aware of this , they have all told that the landlord havent informed them that he will be moving to the house soon.
    So i am wondering am i being lied to here? is he trying to get me out and rent it to someone else at a higher price? 
    Now i wonder what to do , move or just not budge as i couldnt really verify what he told me (he cant just move to the house without informing others tenants, i have checked with all tenants none is aware of landlord plan... hmmm)
    all this time i never signed a lease with him.
    So what would you advise here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

If you are not the only person living in the house, you may in fact be a licensee, and won't have the same rights as a tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

I would agree.There are circumstances in which you acquire the same rights as a 'normal' tenant but the Tenancy board can advise you on that. But generally, it might be that the LL just wants to be a live in LL in the house and only needs one room

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Where did you pull that from?

Nothing the op said makes him sound like a licensee.

RossieMan wrote: »
    Where did you pull that from?

Nothing the op said makes him sound like a licensee.
    '..strange things is no others tenants sharing are aware of this ,'

strange things is no others tenants sharing are aware of this , they have all told that the landlord havent informed them that he will be moving to the house soon.

If the landlord needs to move back into the house, he only needs one room so, presumably, he's only having this discussion with the one tenant he needs to get out. Do you have the biggest/best room in the house?

I haven't come across this before (i.e. asking one tenant to leave rather than emptying the whole property) but the landlord has the right to ask you to leave "if the landlord needs the property for their own use" which could be the case here but you are entitled to 16 weeks notice.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/if_your_landlord_wants_you_to_leave.html#lc0aea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

I would agree.There are circumstances in which you acquire the same rights as a 'normal' tenant but the Tenancy board can advise you on that. But generally, it might be that the LL just wants to be a live in LL in the house and only needs one room

Just because there are other tenants doesn't mean he is a licensee. Sounds like they all pay the landlord for the use of the rooms.

RossieMan wrote: »

Just because there are other tenants doesn't mean he is a licensee. Sounds like they all pay the landlord for the use of the rooms.
    That's a possibility but based on what  OP is saying I'd tend to think licensee. But OP should definitely contact the Tenancy board to find out as we'd only be guessing based on what is stated.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Lui_meme_Elle

Thanks for all your replies so far.

Yes i use the master bed room.

For the LL to move in to the house he will HAVE to inform the other tenants before moving there, me thinking.

So its strange that all 3 tenants aren't aware of LL moving in.

And Yes we all 4 pay the rent directly to the LL.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

That's a possibility but based on what  OP is saying I'd tend to think licensee.

I'd disagree, landlord doesn't live in the house. More likely to be considered a tenant.

If considered a tenant, after almost 7 years of occupation the OP will be entitled to a substantial notice period - 24 weeks (168 days).

OP, talk to the residential tenancies board and/or Threshold. Explain that you have been living there almost 7 years, landlord does not live in the house and you pay your rent directly to the landlord.

Yes i use the master bed room.

For the LL to move in to the house he will HAVE to inform the other tenants before moving there, me thinking.

So its strange that all 3 tenants aren't aware of LL moving in

Oh he'll "inform" the other tenants that he's moving in, but he HAS to give you notice to leave the property which, I think, is why he's dealing with you differently.

Sorry.

• Advertisement

That's a possibility but based on what OP is saying I'd tend to think licensee.
    Graham wrote: »
    I'd disagree, landlord doesn't live in the house. More likely to be considered a tenant

Yes, the OP is a tenant at the moment. When the landlord moves in, presumably the other tenants will become licensees but that's a different problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,336 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

That's a possibility but based on what  OP is saying I'd tend to think licensee. But OP should definitely contact the Tenancy board to find out as we'd only be guessing based on what is stated.

If the landlord does not live there then they will be "multiple tenants" for RTA purposes each having part 4 rights. There is no express provision for the landlord to terminate a tenancy or multiple tenancy to occupy only part of the property.

Marcusm wrote: »
    If the landlord does not live there then they will be "multiple tenants" for RTA purposes each having part 4 rights. There is no express provision for the landlord to terminate a tenancy or multiple tenancy to occupy only part of the property.

It's very much a grey area actually.

The RTB have in the past ruled that a people in a house share where rooms are let separately are in fact licensees.

The reasoning being in a house where each individual only has exclusive use of their room (which is the case when rooms are let separately) and none have exclusive use of the common areas then they don't meet the criteria of exclusive use of the property which is one of the fundamental requirements for a valid tenancy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The landlord does not have to terminate the tenancy(ies) when moving back to the property- however, under law- the rights of the tenants change- and as the landlord is thereafter classified as an 'owner-occupier' the 'tenants' thereafter become licensees.

It doesn't say anywhere at all that the landlord has to communicate this to the tenants- and indeed, he only has to notify the OP- as they are being asked to vacate the property for the landlord.

Out of interest- is the rent paid separately by 4 different people- or as a single payment by one person? I.e. it sounds like there may be 4 separate tenancies- only one of which is being formally terminated.

Its messy as hell- and to be honest- I wouldn't want to be one of the others with the landlord moving back into the property.

The landlord does not have to terminate the tenancy(ies) when moving back to the property- however, under law- the rights of the tenants change- and as the landlord is thereafter classified as an 'owner-occupier' the 'tenants' thereafter become licensees.

It doesn't say anywhere at all that the landlord has to communicate this to the tenants- and indeed, he only has to notify the OP- as they are being asked to vacate the property for the landlord.

Out of interest- is the rent paid separately by 4 different people- or as a single payment by one person? I.e. it sounds like there may be 4 separate tenancies- only one of which is being formally terminated.

Its messy as hell- and to be honest- I wouldn't want to be one of the others with the landlord moving back into the property.

I see nothing that would permit the landlord to terminate the tenancy of one of the multiple occupants in circumstances, as seems to be the case here, where they together have occupation of the entire property. My reason for stating this is the sectio 34 ground of potential relevance is that the landlord requires the "dwelling" which is the entirety of the let property for his own use. What is required by the landlord in this case seems to be him becoming one of the residents with the remaining tenants.

I think the landlord would be on shaky grounds issuing a notice of termination to only one of the tenants. If I were the tenant and I wished to stay, I would reject it on the grounds that it is invalid.

That's why I was wondering about whether, or not, it was a joint tenancy- or 4 separate tenancies sharing the property- its only a subtle difference- but it may be pertinent.

I see nothing that would permit the landlord to terminate the tenancy of one of the multiple occupants in circumstances, as seems to be the case here, where they together have occupation of the entire property. My reason for stating this is the sectio 34 ground of potential relevance is that the landlord requires the "dwelling" which is the entirety of the let property for his own use. What is required by the landlord in this case seems to be him becoming one of the residents with the remaining tenants.

I think the landlord would be on shaky grounds issuing a notice of termination to only one of the tenants. If I were the tenant and I wished to stay, I would reject it on the grounds that it is invalid.

If the rooms are let separately (which means they all pay their rent to the LL separately) then none of the tenants have occupation of the entire property, they have their own room and shared use of the common areas. In this scenario of course one can be asked to move out and not the others and the LL can move himself into one of the vacant rooms same as he could move someone else in if one of the housemates was to move out by their own choice.

Its quite a different setup than one where 4 people share a house together and all are under a lease. For instance in the rooms let separately setup a person renting a room is only liable for their own portion of the rent whereas in a joint arrangement each is liable for the entire rent were people to stop paying or do a runner etc.

As I mentioned its even still a grey area whether they are tenants or licensees as none of them can claim exclusive use of the property.

As The Conductor said its absolutely key to know if they are renting rooms or are sharing the full house in order to be able to judge the situation better.

That's why I was wondering about whether, or not, it was a joint tenancy- or 4 separate tenancies sharing the property- its only a subtle difference- but it may be pertinent.
    If the rooms are let separately (which means they all pay their rent to the LL separately) then none of the tenants have occupation of the entire property, they have their own room and shared use of the common areas. In this scenario of course one can be asked to move out and not the others and the LL can move himself into one of the vacant rooms same as he could move someone else in if one of the housemates was to move out by their own choice.

Its quite a different setup than one where 4 people share a house together and all are under a lease. For instance in the rooms let separately setup a person renting a room is only liable for their own portion of the rent whereas in a joint arrangement each is liable for the entire rent were people to stop paying or do a runner etc.

As I mentioned its even still a grey area whether they are tenants or licensees as none of them can claim exclusive use of the property.

As The Conductor said its absolutely key to know if they are renting rooms or are sharing the full house in order to be able to judge the situation better.

You need to read the definitions of "multiple tenants" to see that it is intended to cover all circumstances where the occupants have use of the dwelling to the exclusion of the landlord which is generally the case where the landlord is not a resident. It is highly unusual and requires quite a bit of prescription with a letting agreement for a landlord to ensure that he has not passed away occupation of the dwelling to a group of persons as a whole. Nothing in what the OP has written would lead me to conclude that this landlord has taken that care. In the absence of such written prescriptions and in the usual circumstances where the landlord does not occupy or habitually visit to enjoy as opposed to inspect the property (enjoyment might for example include retaining rights to cook himself meals and exercising those rights on a regular basis such that they could not be regarded as a sham), I would be surprised if the landlord could force a termination/eviction.

We are 4 people in the house, 2 ensuite , and 2 others rooms (these 2 sharing same bathroom) and all 4 share kitchen and living room

We all pay rent to LL, and he made everyone to sign a lease, others 3 have just been here for 4 months -3 years.

I did not signed the proposed lease, because he never provided me with a lease in past 6 years, so i told him i dont see reason signing one now after all this time.

LL have others properties that he is lettings, the same way i explained above, so i wonder why me? why he want to move to my room

He use to come at the house even with his wife and stay in the house for some weekend or when travelling abroad (there is another small room where he stays; parking their cars outside), and this without informing anyone in the house (we let him do this)...

So, i am sure he will not occupy the room he just want to put it back on the market for a higher rent, reason why i think so is that none of the others tenants have been informed about his plan.

Hmmmm.

You need to read the definitions of "multiple tenants" to see that it is intended to cover all circumstances where the occupants have use of the dwelling to the exclusion of the landlord which is generally the case where the landlord is not a resident. It is highly unusual and requires quite a bit of prescription with a letting agreement for a landlord to ensure that he has not passed away occupation of the dwelling to a group of persons as a whole. Nothing in what the OP has written would lead me to conclude that this landlord has taken that care. In the absence of such written prescriptions and in the usual circumstances where the landlord does not occupy or habitually visit to enjoy as opposed to inspect the property (enjoyment might for example include retaining rights to cook himself meals and exercising those rights on a regular basis such that they could not be regarded as a sham), I would be surprised if the landlord could force a termination/eviction.

Leaving aside the grey area of whether people in a rooms let separately house share are licensees or tenants you cannot argue that people renting rooms separately (with their own agreement to the rent for their room only) are covered by any mutual agreement. In other words there is no basis whatsoever to claim a LL cannot ask one of his multiple tenants in a dwelling to move out and not the others.

In fact its one of the very reasons for operating in this way as it limits a LLs exposure to having a bad/non-paying tenant. i.e. even if one is bad and stops paying rent the other 3 will pay and will usually force out the 4th to be replaced with a new paying tenant.

The additional info from the op above very much points at them being a licensee as the LL retains a room and regularly visits the house.
    He use to come at the house even with his wife and stay in the house for some weekend or when travelling abroad (there is another small room where he stays; parking their cars outside), and this without informing anyone in the house (we let him do this)...

So, i am sure he will not occupy the room he just want to put it back on the market for a higher rent, reason why i think so is that none of the others tenants have been informed about his plan.

Hmmmm.

The fact the LL has retained a room and regularly visits the property and uses the room gives a very strong indication that none of you are tenants but are in fact licensees. If this is the case none of you have any rights.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately Liam Zealous Theory is correct.
    The landlord has consistently exercised an occupancy of the property- and kept a room for his own use.

I'm sorry- none of you are tenants- you are all licensees- and aside from any rights the landlord gives you in writing, you are not entitled to the protections of the RTA.

The reason the landlord wants your room- is its the master bedroom.

If he is not intending to continue to use the smaller bedroom he kept for himself up to now- talk to him, perhaps he may be amenable to coming to an arrangement with you?

Well the room (smallest room) in question is currently occupied by one of his say friend.

He comes to house like once in 3 months, and he does not live here, on the lease he provided to us, he has his living address on it.

So after paying rent for 7 years i got no rights? LL can do as he wishes? ask me to vacate the place even by giving wrong/invalid reason......

Well the room (smallest room) in question is currently occupied by one of his say friend.

He comes to house like once in 3 months, and he does not live here, on the lease he provided to us, he has his living address on it.

So after paying rent for 7 years i got no rights? LL can do as he wishes? ask me to vacate the place even by giving wrong/invalid reason......

There isn't an 'invalid reason' to ask you to vacate with- as you're not a tenant, despite you thinking you are.

Talk to him in any event- perhaps you can come to an arrangement?

I do appreciate your advise, but i still think that i am not a licensee, as i DO NOT live with the LL (he might be using a room but officially he doesn't live at this address), i will never rent a place occupied by it owner.

Leaving aside the grey area of whether people in a rooms let separately house share are licensees or tenants you cannot argue that people renting rooms separately (with their own agreement to the rent for their room only) are covered by any mutual agreement. In other words there is no basis whatsoever to claim a LL cannot ask one of his multiple tenants in a dwelling to move out and not the others.

In fact its one of the very reasons for operating in this way as it limits a LLs exposure to having a bad/non-paying tenant. i.e. even if one is bad and stops paying rent the other 3 will pay and will usually force out the 4th to be replaced with a new paying tenant.

The additional info from the op above very much points at them being a licensee as the LL retains a room and regularly visits the house.

The fact the LL has retained a room and regularly visits the property and uses the room gives a very strong indication that none of you are tenants but are in fact licensees. If this is the case none of you have any rights.

There need not be any mutuality and you are absolutely right that in the event of non payment, anti social behaviour etc, there can be a termination in respect if a single resident. However, for termination on the grounds cited, i.e. Occupation by The landlord, RTA is very clear that the grounds are for "the dwelling", i.e. The whole.

The question of whether it is a multiple tenants situation is one where the law clearly contemplates a landlord having many individual tenants in a building, some residents being sub tenants of a head tenant or being licensees of a tenant.

It would well serve some people to read the actual law.

In the current circumstances, the occasional enjoyment of the property by the landlord and family may make all of this moot in any event.

I do appreciate your advise, but i still think that i am not a licensee, as i DO NOT live with the LL (he might be using a room but officially he doesn't live at this address), i will never rent a place occupied by it owner.

In which case- lodge an objection with the Residential Tenancies Board- thats your next port of call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

It's very much a grey area actually.

The RTB have in the past ruled that a people in a house share where rooms are let separately are in fact licensees.

The reasoning being in a house where each individual only has exclusive use of their room (which is the case when rooms are let separately) and none have exclusive use of the common areas then they don't meet the criteria of exclusive use of the property which is one of the fundamental requirements for a valid tenancy.

None of this is true. The LL or a immediate family member must live in the house to have the rental agreement not covered by the act.

When you think about it, any property with more than 1 tenant does not have exclusive rights to the common areas.

davindub wrote: »
    None of this is true. The LL or a immediate family member must live in the house to have the rental agreement not covered by the act.

When you think about it, any property with more than 1 tenant does not have exclusive rights to the common areas.

There are two different things being discussed though which is being missed by you and Marcusm.

1). The possibility that the op is in fact a licensee not a tenant, which looks very likely. It does not need to be the LLs main residence. Retaining a room and staying there occasionally while ensuring to exercise his right of entry to common areas is essentially all that's required to make others staying there licensees.

2) even if the op is a full blow tenant he can still be given notice to leave for the reason of the LL moving in while the other tenants can remain as all the tenants rent rooms seperately and have no connection nor mutual right to the house. Each tenant has their own areeement and as far as it's concerned here it's the same as if they were all living in seperate apartments. Claiming other wise is wrong simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

1). The possibility that the op is in fact a licensee not a tenant, which looks very likely. It does not need to be the LLs main residence. Retaining a room and staying there occasionally while ensuring to exercise his right of entry to common areas is essentially all that's required to make others staying there licensees.

Definitely not, the LL needs to actually reside there. You cannot claim you reside there if you have another residence which is your main residence. There are no loopholes to exploit here, the act applies to all residential property unless excluded

2) even if the op is a full blow tenant he can still be given notice to leave for the reason of the LL moving in while the other tenants can remain as all the tenants rent rooms seperately and have no connection nor mutual right to the house. Each tenant has their own agreement and as far as it's concerned here it's the same as if they were all living in seperate apartments. Claiming other wise is wrong simple as that.

The tenancy is a shared situation, they share part 4 rights. Yes the LL can give notice to all the tenants, it has not been litigated yet where the LL can select a single tenant to terminate. I would think that he would be required to give notice to all tenants as when the LL moves back in, their tenancy will also end and they will no longer have the protections of the act to rely on. If they choose to remain they will become "licensees" as some people call it.

• Advertisement

There are two different things being discussed though which is being missed by you and Marcusm.

2) even if the op is a full blow tenant he can still be given notice to leave for the reason of the LL moving in while the other tenants can remain as all the tenants rent rooms seperately and have no connection nor mutual right to the house. Each tenant has their own areeement and as far as it's concerned here it's the same as if they were all living in seperate apartments. Claiming other wise is wrong simple as that.

I fundamentally disagree with your point 2) and have explained my reasoning based on the law. What is your reasoning? You cannot simply make up facts such as treating them as separate apartments. A "dwelling" is a self contained unit comprising living, sleeping, cooking and sanitary facilities. At no stage has the OP suggested that sort of set up.

You cannot simply import facts or create new aspects of the law which don't exist. It neither helps the OP nor the flow of the discussion.

Advertisement