Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving co - workers lifts

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,416 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Jesus how do real people get into this piss take positions, it's beyond me. I'd love if someone collected me each morn and dropped me off to work- sadly I live in the real world!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

NIMAN wrote: »
    It can be more hassle than its worth. I often get called upon to do this, but it isn't always convenient. If you are meant to be at a certain point at a certain time, and you sleep in, you feel bad. If you are sick during the night, you feel under pressure to go to work anyway as someone is relying on you.

At one stage in my office, there were 4 guys who car shared. It's just as well that the arrangement fizzled out over time. From what I could see, they lost sight of the money they were saving on fuel and it started annoying them all in different ways. People not being ready to leave the house when the car pulled up. Having to come to work early/later than they'd like. Having to leave at a time that didn't suit everyone. The way certain people drove...

I would hate to get tied up in an arrangement like this. I've occasionally given colleagues lifts when they've been stuck and have been more than happy to do so. One-offs are fine. Being tied into a rigid arrangement which takes away your freedom is a completely different ball game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

This happened me. I wasn't even going the same way, she claimed at first to just want a lift to the bus stop (she was grossly obese) but then she started saying about how much time I was saving her (1.5h+) of a commute. She got to know my bloody schedule and would very subtly (she thought) guilt me into bringing her the extra 20mins (each way) to her house on particularly nasty days.

I did it out of massive sympathy for her and my own stupidity. I was kind of glad when I finished working there because I felt nothing but contempt and pity for her miserable life by the end.

Get out while you still can, if they're half the moocher failure my idiot was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

My friend won't even give his wife and lift to work because she talks non stop!
    They each get into separate cars and commute an hour to offices within 20 mins of each other. She knows herself she's a blatherer so it's the best arrangment for the sake of their marriage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

heldel00 wrote:
    My friend won't even give his wife and lift to work because she talks non stop! They each get into separate cars and commute an hour to offices within 20 mins of each other. She knows herself she's a blatherer so it's the best arrangment for the sake of their marriage.
    That's a pretty sad insight about their relationship :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

I used to bring a co-worker in along. No bother it was on my way. We got along fine. He never offered any money, wouldn't have taken it anyway but the gesture would have been nice. I'd always offer up even with good friends if we were taking a long trip.

I'd pick him up at the same spot everyday. Once or twice he wasn't there so I motored up along the route he'd take to meet me to see if he was running late. No sign of him. After that if he wasn't there when I was passing I'd just drive on.

Hes moved since so no more lifts.

Lots of fellas in my work get a lift from others. Some take the piss alright. One guy went out of his way to pick a fella up only for him not to be there so much he told him to **** off and make his own way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

CowBella wrote: »
    Anyone have any advice on getting out of giving a co worker lifts to work, in the mornings?
    I appreciate I am going to the same direction, but I feel under pressure to be at the meeting point every morning.
    I have to drop my child off first and always feel stressed and anxious!

Is it possible to try an alternative route for a while until they start to figure out how to get themselves to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 CowBella

heldel00 wrote: »
    My friend won't even give his wife and lift to work because she talks non stop!
    They each get into separate cars and commute an hour to offices within 20 mins of each other. She knows herself she's a blatherer so it's the best arrangment for the sake of their marriage.

I needed that laugh, thank you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,639 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If you're a grown adult and have to rely on another person to get you to work, you need to take a good look at yourself.

Can't stand these overly reliant people who can't drive, show no interest in driving but want lifted and laid by drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭midnight city

If you're a grown adult and have to rely on another person to get you to work, you need to take a good look at yourself.

Can't stand these overly reliant people who can't drive, show no interest in driving but want lifted and laid by drivers.

And they never really appreciate the inconvenience it causes the driver. I work local now but when I had to travel a decent distance to work I loved the solitude. To listen to the radio or a cd or even just to think about stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Neither, I'm afraid. I am very non confrontational and they're pretty much the exact opposite.
    I just need to grow a back bone!

Maybe you might consider doing an assertiveness training course? If you're the type who avoids conflict and gets caught up in situations like this, then what do you have to lose? Learning how to say no and to stand up for yourself is one of the best skills you can have.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What about ones who have illnesses which mean they're not able to drive. Or ones who can't afford a car. Or ones who give a damn about the planet so cgoose to to pollute it with daily commuting.

(That said I'd never take a job which i couldn't get to using public transport. Occasional lifts from colleagues is fine, daily would be a PITA for all concerned.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

This person has some cheek not to be even offering money up for the petrol. Apart from that though to be honest it wouldn't stress me.

I'd do things at my own pace in the morning and pick them up whenever I got there. If they don't like it they can find an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Non-drivers are the absolute worst people to give lifts to.
    Some act like you owe them, for being "lucky" enough to have a car.
    Rarely offering petrol money and some give you driving tips.:rolleyes:

Non-drivers are the absolute worst people to give lifts to.
    Some act like you owe them, for being "lucky" enough to have a car.
    Rarely offering petrol money and some give you driving tips.:rolleyes:

Simple solution to all the above- never offer unless it suits you and you know or either like the person well. And also if it's a regular thing, time to get their own car st that stage!

Neither, I'm afraid. I am very non confrontational and they're pretty much the exact opposite.
    I just need to grow a back bone!

They know that too, it's like why they have you in this position in the first place. Time to look out for no 1 here, you barely even have to explain how or why. You owe this person zilch. End of story

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

What about ones who have illnesses which mean they're not able to drive. Or ones who can't afford a car. Or ones who give a damn about the planet so cgoose to to pollute it with daily commuting.

They could cycle.

In fact, the cycle to work scheme is a great way to get non-drivers on the road in a self-sufficient way. But I'm willing to bet the vast majority of those who expect to be chauffeured to wherever they want to go would never dream of getting on a bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭Oodoov

Tell them they'll have to ride in the boot. that'll be the end of it OP.

Advertisement