Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teachers being asked to attend meetings during lunch time

Options
  • 13-12-2016 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

Hi folks - a number of teachers in our school have been asked to attend a lunch time meeting. They are not happy and are grumbling away behind principals back. They are not getting any time off afterwards for lunch or it's not part of croake park hours. (Now probably will be a cup of tea offered and eat your own sandwich - so they will have opportunity to eat)

I personally feel that breaks and lunch breaks are important and need to be protected for general wellbeing of staff and a line is being crossed here. Most are afraid to stand up to him and no doubt will attend.

Union reference was mentioned but he brushed it off with some bs about the importance of this meeting and how jobs depend on the school functioning well ( threatening response)

Anyone know unions stance on this? Please don't say why don't u ring your Union.

Many thanks from the trenches against aggressive management

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Aufbau

I would think either of the following:

- individually, those teachers could stay away from the meeting to eat in peace. It is after all, time for lunch.

- collectively, you could have an internal union meeting and come to an agreed decision.

Possible problems:

- individuals may be left out of decisions, information, or be left out 'in the cold' on a more permanent basis. They could try being very apologetic about just not being able to make it due to an appointment elsewhere.

- collectively is better, unless the majority prefer meeting at lunch time rather than after school.

In these times of unrest, due to being overworked and underpaid, I think the principal is pulling the p.ss. A response could be that the school functioning well depends on the staff feeling respected. If you could suggest a quid pro quo, it might ease the situation. But I'd suggest that if you let it happen once without a quid pro quo, that it will become a constant in the school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

DK man wrote: »
    Hi folks - a number of teachers in our school have been asked to attend a lunch time meeting. They are not happy and are grumbling away behind principals back. They are not getting any time off afterwards for lunch or it's not part of croake park hours. (Now probably will be a cup of tea offered and eat your own sandwich - so they will have opportunity to eat)

I personally feel that breaks and lunch breaks are important and need to be protected for general wellbeing of staff and a line is being crossed here. Most are afraid to stand up to him and no doubt will attend.

Union reference was mentioned but he brushed it off with some bs about the importance of this meeting and how jobs depend on the school functioning well ( threatening response)

Anyone know unions stance on this? Please don't say why don't u ring your Union.

Many thanks from the trenches against aggressive management

No need to contact the union, your break is your break. It's up to ye as a staff how ye want to approach it (get all reps to make a case! ).
    It's polite to ask , not tell.

Your principal would probably find a more positive attitude if they asked nicely.... and provided lunch.

I personally spend one lunchtime a week at a meeting. I work as a hospital pharmacist so it helps keep us up to date with any changes in current prescribing practice etc. However, I could choose to not go if I wanted to. Personally, as long as something is gained from it for your own personal development. I would recommend going to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I personally spend one lunchtime a week at a meeting. I work as a hospital pharmacist so it helps keep us up to date with any changes in current prescribing practice etc. However, I could choose to not go if I wanted to. Personally, as long as something is gained from it for your own personal development. I would recommend going to it.

Do you have a choice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

You've got to eat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

It also depends on the meeting topic and the importance of it. Of course lunch etc is important but equally there can be urgent issues regarding vulnerable students or serious urgent issue. But it would be a small grouping and quick. It also depends on good atmosphere and tone in the school leading to good working relationships

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,996 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

OP are these lunch time meeting regular or is this the first 1. Maybe he wanted to get everyone together to discuss something could be in relation to the holidays or doing something for Christmas for the kids. He more than likely meant no offence and thought I will have it during lunch that way they do not have to stay back late if due to the time of year.

As you say you do not know what it is about maybe its a quick 5 minute meeting and that's it. Why are ye so afraid of him. As mentioned by another poster your rep could go talk with him and just say your concerns. It could be a quick in and out

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭DK man

Thanks all.

Lunch meeting is not a one off for any kind of emergency - that would be very understanding and I would have absolutely no issue or would any staff member. It wont be a short 5 min meeting - it would be a full lunch break.

The context is also an unhappy work place where people are often undermined and rarely listened to. A number of staff considering their options re early retirement / redeployment because of her.

If the mood was good and people felt more relaxed and valued I'd say this wouldn't be posted here. Frankly people are getting fed up so they will do less instead of more.

Ps - Many staff members give up lunch times and after school for sports voluntarily (including myself). And many give extra classes in free time / before and after school. I can honestly say they are a very good staff who more often go over and above the basic hours and duties.

I have to say that despite what people say about ps unions and their power - i rarely see any union action / muscle apart from the deductions from my pay packet.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

DK man wrote:
    I have to say that despite what people say about ps unions and their power - i rarely see any union action / muscle apart from the deductions from my pay packet.

At a school level, the union is only as powerful as the willing members. If the school members got together and made a decision not to attend these meetings and made this decision clear to the principal, then you have power in numbers. If the principal then tries to coerce teachers into doing it, you can start the grievance procedure. It's only when local procedures like this are exhausted that you would need to go any higher in the union about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭doc_17

Hi OP. The Union would solve this for you. It's exactly things like this that they are there for - to protect your working conditions. But if you don't want to communicate the problem to them but instead communicate to us your displeasure with them, you'll continue having nothing to show for your subs.

And apologies if that's coming across as snarky but I'm confused as to why you don't think the Union are an option in this case and also think the Union offer nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭DK man

Fair point doc. I was looking for some pointers here before considering the union option.

Interesting we have a new principal and since she has started many staff have started attending local union meetings and there are some efforts to organise within....

Thanks

Advertisement