Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever been to Northern Ireland?

• 13-12-2016 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭

I'm just curious what percentage of people from the Republic have actually ever crossed the border up here into the north?

I was just thinking from my 16 years of living in NI, I've never actually been further south than Dublin. Infact the only time I have been further south than that was as a 10 year old (still living in England at the time) visiting my aunt in Tipperary, and other than that time I've never been that far south. Never been to Cork, Kerry, Clare and at least 10 other counties in the ROI. Pretty pathetic given I'm pretty well travelled globally (25 countries).

Now come to think of it, I don't hear that many southern accents up here in the north, it is pretty rare, its more common to hear an English accent or even a Scottish accent at times, even at my time at queens Belfast there were very few students from the south (a few from Monaghan and Donegal maybe).

Since I've a habit of starting completely pointless (possibly even inaccurate?) polls I thought I've do another one ;), and I haven't seen a poll on this before so I thought I'd try it here.

Oh btw, for the purpose of the poll, just driving through it/not staying a night, counts.

Have you ever been to Northern Ireland? 616 votes

Yes
    0% 2 votes
    No
    87% 538 votes
    I'm from Northern Ireland and I just want to see the results
    12% 76 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

I'm from England originally, but I live in Northern Ireland. Before settling in Belfast I travelled the whole country from coast to coast (this would be late 90s). During that trip I visited all 32 counties. Even back then, when the North was still a little turbulent on the political front, it stood out to me. Just loved the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Aye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

I've only 1 county left to visit on the whole island and it's proved very elusive. The 31st was elusive but I eventually cracked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Didas

I've only 1 county left to visit on the whole island and it's proved very elusive. The 31st was elusive but I eventually cracked it.

Is it Leitrim?, because we're still debating whether that place actually exists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Brigadoon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Skommando

It's only a hour up the road, but it might as well be a million miles away for all the real knowledge people in the republic have about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I have been to Northern Ireland. I met too many suspicious, nosy people to bother going back. There's a totally different atmosphere up there. It's understandable considering the history, and I also met great people. But it's offputting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

me too- Kerry

I have been to Northern Ireland. I met too many suspicious, nosy people to bother going back. There's a totally different atmosphere up there. It's understandable considering the history, and I also met great people. But it's offputting

pretty ignorant and bigoted view of NI, exactly like you are accusing them of.

Skommando wrote: »

It was my experience. I'm not bigoted at all. I don't prejudge anyone in Northern Ireland. And it is true that they have had a turbulent history which could be affecting some peoples attitude. My friend from Down has said it himself. Is he ignorant too despite growing up in the place?

Having had a negative experience does not make someone bigoted. I'm not accusing ''them''-only the people I met who actually behaved suspicious and nosy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Not been to much of it. Lived in Belfast and Bangor for a short stretch. Would have travelled through certain parts on the way to the gaeltacht up in Meenacladdy (spelling that in English is weird and possibly incorrect) as a nipper. I would like to go to Derry for a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Who hasn't been to Northern Ireland? Takes me longer to get into Dublin city than it does to get to newry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Been quite a bit. I'll agree with other Boardsies, there are nice people everywhere but there was a slight undercurrent of something odd in the North. I suppose it comes from years of discord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I've been down south quite a few times, suspicious nosy gobshites everywhere you go. If we weren't riding Dublin stupid for everything we can get out of yis I'd be happy enough if the threw our hat in with the North and built that fcuking wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Fairly unanimous results so far, pretty impressed, if you ask the average English person, I would say most probably haven't, unless they were in the army here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

tonygun wrote: »

Londonderry.

I've been down south quite a few times, suspicious nosy gobshites everywhere you go. If we weren't riding Dublin stupid for everything we can get out of yis I'd be happy enough if the threw our hat in with the North and built that fcuking wall.

Did you get asked what you were doing down in the south on five separate occasions in five different businesses, in an unfriendly way

Actually I admit there's an element of it here too..I have heard locals speculating about ''what's the northerner running away from''.

I don't think they ask you to your face here though

I won't see any response, unfollowing this as people are far too easily offended where none was meant

It was my experience. I'm not bigoted at all. I don't prejudge anyone in Northern Ireland. And it is true that they have had a turbulent history which could be affecting some peoples attitude. My friend from Down has said it himself. Is he ignorant too despite growing up in the place?

Having had a negative experience does not make someone bigoted. I'm not accusing ''them''-only the people I met who actually behaved suspicious and nosy.

That's stereotypes for you, and you could not be further from the truth. Spend some real time there. I lived there for five years, and found them, in general, to be among the most honest decent hospitable warm hearted people you could meet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Their road finishing skills were a sight to behold the proper mix of asphalt and finished curbs but we caught up with them eventually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Yes, few trips away and also on LOI football journeys.

A carful of Limerick fans on the way to and from Derry (or Finn Harps) is a bleak slice of life.

Not stayed long enough to really get a feel for the place though.

• Advertisement

Did you get asked what you were doing down in the south on five separate occasions in five different businesses, in an unfriendly way

Actually I admit there's an element of it here too..I have heard locals speculating about ''what's the northerner running away from''.

I don't think they ask you to your face here though

I won't see any response, unfollowing this as people are far too easily offended where none was meant
    Na, they usually tell you to fcuk off back to the UK or some crap like that, kinda hard for somebody from Donegal to like, but just shows the general ignorance of many southerners:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭davo2001

Yeah, was up in Coleraine in Co. Derry for a christning about 4 years ago, happened to me on the 12th July weekend, still alot of hate up there, and totally put me off the place, wouldn't be rushing back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Skommando wrote: »

Pretty accurate I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

Sorry OP... but I couldn't help notice you're missing a certain vital option...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

It's interesting.
    Irish people often have a romantic idea of NI. An idea that only exists in people's heads but is what's real to them. Like how we secretly think Atlantis is a real place.

That place you hear about on the news though? That not real. Well if it is, it's somewhere else. Isn't that missing bit of the country that people have been longing for.

So why would you go up there? It's like some other country up there!

It is. And the cultural gap between the countries, how they've grown apart over the last 94 years really is huge.

So you back to your point. Irish and NIrish people tend not wander into the other country because really, they seem very, very far away.

osarusan wrote: »
    Yes, few trips away and also on LOI football journeys.

A carful of Limerick fans on the way to and from Derry (or Finn Harps) is a bleak slice of life.

Not stayed long enough to really get a feel for the place though.
    Why are you travelling through NI between Limerick and Ballybofey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Londonderry.

Only word in our spoken language to my knowledge that has six silent letters in front of it :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Why are you travelling through NI between Limerick and Ballybofey?

No I wasn't.

Just that it's Derry's only rival in terms of a long, bleak journey home.

Bleak as in the last two times I went to Ballybofey, our striker broke his leg, and we got relegated.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Didas

NiallBoo wrote: »
    It's interesting.
    Irish people often have a romantic idea of NI. An idea that only exists in people's heads but is what's real to them. Like how we secretly think Atlantis is a real place.

That place you hear about on the news though? That not real. It isn't that missing bit of the country that people have been longing for.

So why would you go up there? It's like some other country up there!

It is. And the cultural gap between the countries, how they've grown apart over the last 94 years really is huge.

So you back to your point. Irish and NIrish people tend not wander into the other country because really, they seem very, very far away.

The poll on this thread suggests otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Sorry OP... but I couldn't help notice you're missing a certain vital option...

"Yes, but it was with Gerry Adams in a blacked out transit so I can't really talk about it"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Their road finishing skills were a sight to behold the proper mix of asphalt and finished curbs but we caught up with them eventually

Where in the Republic of Ireland outside of a village or town has kerbs or proper drainage solutions on their roads?

We haven't even begun to catch up on them.

maudgonner wrote: »
    "Yes, but it was with Gerry Adams in a blacked out transit so I can't really talk about it"?

I'm not a Garda please keep talking

Quazzie wrote: »
    Where in the Republic of Ireland outside of a village or town has kerbs or proper drainage solutions on their roads?

We haven't even begun to catch up on them.

Where in Ireland have we painted Irish flag colours on our kerbs like they've painted union jacks on theirs :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Poll:Have you ever been to Northern Ireland?

Yes, every time i travel home to donegal.
    At least I don't need my passport or get the car searched anymore (til brexit again anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

The poll on this thread suggests otherwise.

That's ever.

OP was noting that they rarely meet Irish people in the north.

Most have been there but rarely. So, the phrasing if the poll doesn't really suit the purpose, where really frequency and time spent is what the question is about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I'm just curious what percentage of people from the Republic have actually ever crossed the border up here into the north?

I was just thinking from my 16 years of living in NI, I've never actually been further south than Dublin. Infact the only time I have been further south than that was as a 10 year old (still living in England at the time) visiting my aunt in Tipperary, and other than that time I've never been that far south. Never been to Cork, Kerry, Clare and at least 10 other counties in the ROI. Pretty pathetic given I'm pretty well travelled globally (25 countries).

Now come to think of it, I don't hear that many southern accents up here in the north, it is pretty rare, its more common to hear an English accent or even a Scottish accent at times, even at my time at queens Belfast there were very few students from the south (a few from Monaghan and Donegal maybe).

Since I've a habit of starting completely pointless (possibly even inaccurate?) polls I thought I've do another one ;), and I haven't seen a poll on this before so I thought I'd try it here.

Oh btw, for the purpose of the poll, just driving through it/not staying a night, counts.

I've been up quite a few times. Belfast and north Antrim.

Haven't been up north west though. Only county I've never been in the republic is Donegal. Need to remedy that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I lived in Belfast for 6 months many moons ago. I adored it tbh. The city, the people, the nightlife. I was miserable for about 2 months after moving home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭XsApollo

I drove through once from the the ferry in Belfast to home in the south on my bike.
    I needed to stop for fuel
    I didn't know where I was but stopped to ask 2 people I saw ,was there a petrol station nearby.
    They didn't answer.
    Met another couple walking bit behind them, said there a petrol station up the road in the village ,they gave directions.
    Drove up got to the Main Street I'd say,
    Every pole had union jacks ,footpaths and walls painted , flags everywhere.
    I got some stares filling up, dunno if I was paranoid or what, but definatley felt uneasy being there and couldn't wait to get out :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I've been there once. I made a point of going there after coming back from living in New Zealand. In other word's I had literally been to the other side of the planet but hadn't been to the northern bit of this relatively small island.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

The nearest I got to Northern Ireland was redhills in Cavan we were traveling by shanks mare and it was back when the border was patrolled.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I was in Belfast once when I was 23, Euro 2004 was on. Anyway, the first pub me and my pal went into in the city centre, some guy started giving us stick, asking what Dublin people were doing there, then started to pretend to ring some heavies on his phone. We just left discreetly after that.
    The next day some guys in a different bar started the same kind of racket. "Are you Fenians?". I don't think they've been around for 100s of years, not sure wtf a Fenian is anyway. These weren't knackery bars or anything.
    It seemed like a pleasant enough place to walk around but nothing special at all, Dublin wipes the floor with it in every aspect.
    Why would I go back? Nothing there for me and I had bad experiences, even though I'm sure there are lovely people. Also the accent wrecks my head.

On the plus side, on the Saturday night we met 2 birds from Dublin studying there who took us back to their place and gave us a load of Mexican mushrooms they got in Holland. I was tripping balls for hours and ended up humping one of the girls, but I remember being more interested in staring at the trippy Bob Marley poster on her wall than the sex.

Good times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Was up and down to Newry as a kid every fortnight in the 80s when sterling was very weak. Going through heavily fortified British army controls was unnerving but you got used to it. A couple of years back I did a roadtrip from Belfast right along the coast and then the ferry to Greencastle in Donegal. The Northern Irish coast is stunning and those who havent seen it are missing out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

No I've never been. I had really good intentions of going for a weekend in the Summer just gone, to see The Giants Causeway. Ive always wanted to see it but haven't got round to it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Northern? You mean like the ilac centre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

Belfast is grim, tidy up the place a bit will ye

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Ah Leitrim, the mythical place that everyone's parents are from but where nobody actually lives.

It's where civilization started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭midnight city

I've been probably more than a hundred times, never had a bad word said to me. But i'm always aware of where i'm going and who im speaking to when there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

My mother was from Finaghy, just south of Belfast, so I had loads of relations in the North.

First visit on my own was in the late 70's, got off the train, met by an aunt, who decided to give me a walking tour of the Falls, Divis, etc, and me carrying a back pack, got some strange looks

Later in the 80's I was wandering around Belfast with a camera bag, camera, lenses, film, all the gear.
    Went through one of the checkpoints and got searched by a policeman
    He remarked about the camera etc and said, don't take any pictures of the Army Boys, them fu##ers will shoot you.
    Just as well it wasn't a digital camera as I had been taking pictures of Armoured Cars, and Soldiers all day.

Then I went up to stay with a cousin in small village outside Belfast. Arrived early, and wandered into a random pub for a pint. With my broad Dublin accent, the atmosphere went very somber, and guys were reaching for the phone.
    So I says to the barman, I am staying with my cousin tonight, I think he lives on such a road, and dropped in his wife's name and one of the kids
    Atmosphere changed, and I get a free pint from the barman.

Strange times, thankfully all changed now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Did a road trip of the northern counties last summer. Thoroughly enjoyed it. The Titanic centre in Belfast and the history of Derry city were the highlights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I'm from England originally, but I live in Northern Ireland. Before settling in Belfast I travelled the whole country from coast to coast (this would be late 90s). During that trip I visited all 32 counties. Even back then, when the North was still a little turbulent on the political front, it stood out to me. Just loved the place.

Thats because you are from England.:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement