Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever been to Northern Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Skommando wrote: »
    pretty ignorant and bigoted view of NI, exactly like you are accusing them of.

Its an opinion. Are opinions allowed anymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Been to Derry a good bit, my dad's side of the family is from close to the border on the Donegal side. You're driving along and blam, the roads get better, the signage changes, and if you forgot to turn off your data you're fecked. That's about as negative as my experiences have been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Went to Omagh for a week. Republicans there were not as I expected many were middle-class and liked taking advantage of Northern Ireland's link with the Uk. Seems lot of republicans in Northern Ireland actually like being part of Northern Ireland. That's what I got from it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

XsApollo wrote: »
    I drove through once from the the ferry in Belfast to home in the south on my bike.
    I needed to stop for fuel
    I didn't know where I was but stopped to ask 2 people I saw ,was there a petrol station nearby.
    They didn't answer.
    Met another couple walking bit behind them, said there a petrol station up the road in the village ,they gave directions.
    Drove up got to the Main Street I'd say,
    Every pole had union jacks ,footpaths and walls painted , flags everywhere.
    I got some stares filling up, dunno if I was paranoid or what, but definatley felt uneasy being there and couldn't wait to get out :-D

I get the uneasy feeling. I drove through a very unionist area during July with union jacks flying off every spare space. You do very much feel like an outsider.

Having said that I was up in Belfast/Colraine a few times to compete in inter-varsities and had a great time.

One thing I'd love to see are those huge bonfires that they have each year. I don't think I'd be welcome there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I go up to the Mournes quite a bit for hillwalking, also the Cooley peninsula and Slieve Gullion. When up there, have been to Newry and one or two small towns around there and by and large have felt pretty comfortable, with the notable exception of Kilkeel ... very dodgy feeling, full of red, white and blue kerbstones and union jacks, didn't want to spend too much time there, and I'm English :D

I've only been to Belfast once and found it a bit dour, much like some Scottish cities, a bit cold and not very welcoming.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I work up there quite a bit, never had a problem with anyone.

Holidayed there as a child as my father was from Fermanagh.

Have to say these days I find Belfast relaxing compared to Dublin, people are a bit friendlier than down in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

No. Where is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Grayson wrote: »
    I get the uneasy feeling. I drove through a very unionist area during July with union jacks flying off every spare space. You do very much feel like an outsider.

Having said that I was up in Belfast/Colraine a few times to compete in inter-varsities and had a great time.

One thing I'd love to see are those huge bonfires that they have each year. I don't think I'd be welcome there.

That's the whole point though isn't it. The territory is marked for a reason, so to let taigs know (and more recently, Polish people and other immigrants) who the area belongs to, and to keep out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

We have had many holidays up north going back to the mid 80s. Very friendly people and great service in shops and hotels. Good scenery and lots to do too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Patww79 wrote: »
    Lived in it for a decade. It's a poisonous place.

Do explain?

A better poll would be how many times you've been. I've been to Belfast and environs twice. I'm 38. It's about 2 hours away or less from Dublin so we do live separate lives. I've been to London and Paris and Rome much more.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

That's the whole point though isn't it. The territory is marked for a reason, so to let taigs know (and more recently, Polish people and other immigrants) who the area belongs to, and to keep out.

And that's why Newry is similiarly decked out at the same time?

Are you trying to be deliberately inflammatory with that post?

I was working in a few unionist areas in July of this year, no trouble with my Irish car reg, or obvious accent.

Were they not trying to keep me out? If they were, why weren't they a bit more hostile to me?

I enjoyed it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

And coming up in next week's world traveller of the year poll. "Have you ever been to.... Wales."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

Been to Derry a good bit, my dad's side of the family is from close to the border on the Donegal side. You're driving along and blam, the roads get better, the signage changes, and if you forgot to turn off your data you're fecked. That's about as negative as my experiences have been.

That depends which two counties you happen to be crossing the border between and where. The roads in some parts of NI are not in great condition at all anymore and in some parts of the Republic they are.

The M1 deteriorates pretty badly as it becomes the NI equivalent as you cross the border for example. A lot of the roads around parts of Fermanagh aren't exactly wonderful.

Republic's motorway network is *FAR* more extensive too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I often wonder why go up there at all? They hate the TAIGS and there is a whiff of something always not welcome for me.

Anyway, Yes I have been there. And when I saw the Union Jacks on the pavement and so on, could not wait to get out. Felt a bit uncomfortable to say the least.

But the scenery is lovely in the Glens, and around the Antrim Coast.

But we have the same down here without the Sterling difference and, well, it's THE NORTH, and no love lost there either for the Southerners mostly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

That depends which two counties you happen to be crossing the border between and where. The roads in some parts of NI are not in great condition at all anymore and in some parts of the Republic they are.

The M1 deteriorates pretty badly as it becomes the NI equivalent as you cross the border for example. A lot of the roads around parts of Fermanagh aren't exactly wonderful.

Republic's motorway network is *FAR* more extensive too.

I'd always be on the same road really, dunno the name of it but whichever one the Buncrana/Derry bus runs on

Stheno wrote: »

I was working in a few unionist areas in July of this year, no trouble with my Irish car reg, or obvious accent.

Were they not trying to keep me out? If they were, why weren't they a bit more hostile to me?

It will never be a place for most Southerners to go. But some do for the shopping.

After that it's not a place that I for one would ever think of going for a break/weekend. No sirree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

I often wonder why go up there at all? They hate the TAIGS and there is a whiff of something always not welcome for me.
    But there are many many up there who don't hate the taigs, and who ARE taigs.
    it's THE NORTH, and no love lost there either for the Southerners mostly.
    Em... what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭midnight city

Anyway, Yes I have been there. And when I saw the Union Jacks on the pavement and so on, could not wait to get out. Felt a bit uncomfortable to say the least.

But the scenery is lovely in the Glens, and around the Antrim Coast.

But we have the same down here without the Sterling difference and, well, it's THE NORTH, and no love lost there either for the Southerners mostly.

The population is nearly 50 50 now and most unionists don't hate irish people. So its a minority of a minority that hate 'taigs'. Don't let that put you off going up.

It will never be a place for most Southerners to go. But some do for the shopping.

After that it's not a place that I for one would ever think of going for a break/weekend. No sirree.

Ah well since I've been going there since I was a child and spend about a quarter of my work time up there the past ten years, I'd respectfully disagree tbh

No I'm not trying to be inflammatory with my post, but by large, people in areas with lots memorabilia/flags (on both sides) are less likely to want the other side to be living there as opposed areas without them.

That doesn't mean everyone who lives in them is a bigot, far from it, put the people who make the point of putting them up, certainly might be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Been working there a lot this year... Love it..especially the people I've worked with up there. Everyone went out of their way to assist me.

Well if it is such a welcoming place for Southerners and all those lauding its merits, why does it still seem such an unwelcoming place?

I am not saying it is, merely the perception is still there to this day for many.

The reality is, it is not visited by many down South at all.

We have lots here to keep us happy, and the Sterling difference is an issue too let's be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Jesus Wept. So to let the taigs know.

Well if it is such a welcoming place for Southerners and all those lauding its merits, why does it still seem such an unwelcoming place?

I am not saying it is, merely the perception is still there to this day for many.

The reality is, it is not visited by many down South at all.

We have lots here to keep us happy, and the Sterling difference is an issue too let's be honest.

Maybe that's just your perception?

IN the last five years I've worked in Belfast, Derry, Armagh, Craigavon, Lisburn and a few other places, and never ever felt like I was unwelcome.

Look, given the choice between Belfast and the South, it's a no brainer for me.

Euro, for starters, and no worries about anything potentially inflammatory.

Sorry that's it for me.

Can someone tell me what is better up North than down here? I'm all ears.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

The absence of crying whinging southerners is one of the big plus points 'up here' :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

You either have a micro experience or a broad experience but there are big differences within both. I've managed to cover most of the province since the 80s to the present in both social and professional guises. I still dislike it.

Maybe that's just your perception?

IN the last five years I've worked in Belfast, Derry, Armagh, Craigavon, Lisburn and a few other places, and never ever felt like I was unwelcome.

Good on you.

The work has to be done by the Tourism sector and the North/South bodies that we are all paying for.

I think we have a lot down here too. Easier really than going up there TBH.

Look, given the choice between Belfast and the South, it's a no brainer for me.

Euro, for starters, and no worries about anything potentially inflammatory.

Sorry that's it for me.

Can someone tell me what is better up North than down here? I'm all ears.

From a work perspective:

1. People are more relaxed
    2. People arrive on time.

From a social perspective:
    1. Service is better
    2. People are friendlier
    3. Pretty much everything is cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

It isn't only the Loyalists that mark their territory.

https://leftfootforward.org/images/2016/05/IRA_mural_Bogside_-_panoramio.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

NEVER NEVER NEVER.... Yes I have and my soft Cork ears are yet to recover - accents too harsh for us...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Skommando wrote: »
    That's stereotypes for you, and you could not be further from the truth. Spend some real time there. I lived there for five years, and found them, in general, to be among the most honest decent hospitable warm hearted people you could meet.

So your anecdote is the true one and mine and a friend who grew up there couldn't be further from the truth and are stereotypes. Very logical. Positive stereotypes are fine then.

I'm sure if you went on holiday and were practically interrogate five times in a weekend you'd brush it off and happily return again.

P.S I didn't say they were dishonest or even cold hearted.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    It isn't only the Loyalists that mark their territory.

https://leftfootforward.org/images/2016/05/IRA_mural_Bogside_-_panoramio.jpg

I acknowledged that in the earlier post on the previous page but my point was why some southerners might feel uncomfortable in "certain" areas with regards them.

From a work perspective:

1. People are more relaxed
    2. People arrive on time.

From a social perspective:
    1. Service is better
    2. People are friendlier
    3. Pretty much everything is cheaper.

Fair enough.

But the services are better because they have an NHS and a Council Tax.

That pays for everything that we have to pay for on an ongoing basis with private firms, and HSE.

There is no comparison. None.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I've been down south quite a few times, suspicious nosy gobshites everywhere you go. If we weren't riding Dublin stupid for everything we can get out of yis I'd be happy enough if the threw our hat in with the North and built that fcuking wall.

Yis? I'm not from Dublin. There's more than Dublin in Southern Ireland.

From your prickly attitude I think N.I is welcome to you.

NiallBoo wrote: »
    It's interesting.
    Irish people often have a romantic idea of NI. An idea that only exists in people's heads but is what's real to them. Like how we secretly think Atlantis is a real place.

That place you hear about on the news though? That not real. Well if it is, it's somewhere else. Isn't that missing bit of the country that people have been longing for.

So why would you go up there? It's like some other country up there!

It is. And the cultural gap between the countries, how they've grown apart over the last 94 years really is huge.

So you back to your point. Irish and NIrish people tend not wander into the other country because really, they seem very, very far away.
    I think you're overthinking things. And I don't know where you get the idea that people in the Republic and in the North tend not to wander across the border. It happens constantly, day to day. For some it's their daily commute.

Flimpson wrote: »
    I think you're overthinking things. And I don't know where you get the idea that people in the Republic and in the North tend not to wander across the border. It happens constantly, day to day. For some it's their daily commute.

My dad grew up in a house 100 yards from the border in South Armagh and went to school in Dundalk.

Flimpson wrote: »
    That's just how you feel - and it's not based on much (sterling? So what - we visit London and the States) but you have every right to feel that way. You don't speak for everyone else in the Republic though.

Does somewhere have to be "better" to justify someone visiting it and liking it? :confused:

The North has to start welcoming us up, it is that simple really. There is probably more tourism in the Black Taxi tours from the US and elswhere.

The Black Taxis have a negative resonance for me. Just me I said....

The Northerners have no problem coming South at all, and that's grand, (we don't have enclaves and flegs etc.) but it is not a two way street yet.

Fair enough.

But the services are better because they have an NHS and a Council Tax.

That pays for everything that we have to pay for on an ongoing basis with private firms, and HSE.

There is no comparison. None.

Eh I'm talking about general service in shops and restaurants, not the NHS tbh

That was ****e the one time I'd to deal with it.

You can actually go into a shop in NI and get a cheery greeting and courteous service compared to Dubiln
    The North has to start welcoming us up, it is that simple really. There is probably more tourism in the Black Taxi tours from the US and elswhere.

The Northerners have no problem coming South at all, and that's grand, (we don't have enclaves and flegs etc.) but it is not a two way street yet.

I've used a lot of black cabs and found them grand, very hospitable actually and knowledgable about different areas and willing to share info on them even on a regular cab trip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I acknowledged that in the earlier post on the previous page but my point was why some southerners might feel uncomfortable in "certain" areas with regards them.

As a left footed 'southerner' I feel uncomfortable in any area that has an air of sectarianism hanging over it, but I always felt safer in East Belfast than Derry. I spent many holidays in Northern Ireland from the early 1970s and was fortunate never to encounter any problems, friendly natives, good food - the unbeatable Ulster fry - and great value. It's far from the 'failed political entity' that some would have you believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

My wife was in Queens for 4 years before we married so I've been up literally hundreds of times. At least every second weekend while she was in college, and we still head up a few times a year to see her college friends.

Belfast is awesome, and the north coast is beautiful. As for the people, in all my years of going up I never had a moment of hostility, and I've stayed in some pretty rough places.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

Once, in the late eighties to buy a pair of reading glasses and a Mayfair magazine.

It's a matter of perspective/perception/experience I guess. I didn't find anything unwelcoming about the north on the occasions I visited. The opposite actually. There are lots of people in the north who welcome people from the Republic, particularly nationalists, or who don't give a **** if you're from the Republic. The black cab drivers were lovely to us! We were paying them I suppose - nothing deeper than that, but definitely no hostility. That's not to say that there aren't unfriendly drivers though. And I didn't go to any areas where catholics/people from the Republic would be unwelcome because of course they're going to be unfriendly, but I had the choice not to go near them.

I don't understand how a person's mind can be made up about a place if they've barely visited it.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    As a left footed 'southerner' I feel uncomfortable in any area that has an air of sectarianism hanging over it, but I always felt safer in East Belfast than Derry. I spent many holidays in Northern Ireland from the early 1970s and was fortunate never to encounter any problems, friendly natives, good food - the unbeatable Ulster fry - and great value. It's far from the 'failed political entity' that some would have you believe.

I totally agree, I wouldn't want to live in any area with flags, painted kerbstones, and murals with murderers on them. Most people in NI are good people (I've lived here for 16 years, I know), but FWIW, some people who come from these areas have some small minded and deeply prejudiced views towards ANYTHING different, they are not the majority of NI however, but they do exist, sectarianism very much does exist in NI.

Eh I'm talking about general service in shops and restaurants, not the NHS tbh

That was ****e the one time I'd to deal with it.

You can actually go into a shop in NI and get a cheery greeting and courteous service compared to Dubiln

I've used a lot of black cabs and found them grand, very hospitable actually and knowledgable about different areas and willing to share info on them even on a regular cab trip

That's great from your own perspective really.

But many down here would be wary. I am one of them, and I still can't figure out why that is, when so many from far off lands have a ball up there, and you have positive views too.

Must be the oul perception thing again.

Who can help that?

The Troubles didn't help at all, and the residue is still there for many people from the South.

Now I have no doubt that Northerners are welcoming and all that, but I would still have a break here down South rather than up there any day.

Just seems easier to me.

Why is that, and is is replicated I wonder?

• Advertisement
Advertisement