Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever been to Northern Ireland?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

Worked in Belfast for a couple of years. Great place, friendly people, nice city.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

currants wrote: »
    I'm :D at some of these posts. Been to Antrim many times, the coastal drive beats Kerry into a cocked hat and on a sunny day rivals the Amalfi coast. I had the finest, freshest scampi of my life in Cushendall. The people are just like those in any rural community, once they know why you're there and are confident its not to cause trouble they will bend over backwards to help you, very, very friendly and chatty. We never discuss politics outside of the usual "ah they're all the same". Belfast is great, lively and friendly with their share of gougers in pubs, same as Dublin or Cork or any city. Reading this is like going back in time 20 years, what a conservative bunch you are.

Once they know why you're there and that it's not to cause trouble.

See, that initial suspicion is quite obvious and I don't think it's acceptable, anywhere, unless there's a very good reason for it at the time. You can't treat people guilty until proven innocent, and expect them to show they're not bad people. Some people are fine with that and others are not. I haven't have to prove I'm not a dodgy troublemaker anywhere else I've ever been. Why would I come back to a place where I did?
    Personally I lose interest in being chatty and friendly if I'm treated like that. I'll be civil but you can bet I'll be taking my coin and my time somewhere with less bad minded locals in future.

And you've confirmed that peoples bad experiences are true, but it's funny to you, because in your mind it's normal behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Possibly did imagine it. My dads family is from a small border town, and have never had issue with parking my car there, various parts of Enniskillen, Derry and some of their side streets, Belfast City, and several places inbtween.

Saying that, would still be wary parking a DL reg near the Brandywell on a match night.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭currants

Once they know why you're there and that it's not to cause trouble.

See, that initial suspicion is quite obvious and I don't think it's acceptable, anywhere, unless there's a very good reason for it at the time. You can't treat people guilty until proven innocent, and expect them to show they're not bad people. Some people are fine with that and others are not. I haven't have to prove I'm not a dodgy troublemaker anywhere else I've ever been. Why would I come back to a place where I did?
    Personally I lose interest in being chatty and friendly if I'm treated like that. I'll be civil but you can bet I'll be taking my coin and my time somewhere with less bad minded locals in future.

You're blowing this way out of proportion, if you lived in a spread out community that might see the police an hour or so after you've called them you'd look at it in a different way. I've never been interrogated by the locals, more a "so what has you up this way" asked casually. I know why they're asking so i set their mind at rest by replying, "just up for a few days break, staying in X place, they know by my response that I know why they're asking and are happy with the answer. Its less to do with the troubles and more to do with rural crime. You shouldn't take it personally and its not a NI thing, its a rural community thing. I've asked strangers the same question myself a few times over the years.

I grew up in an area that was mixed, but people generally got along. Most of south Down is fine, there are fairly mixed towns like Rathfriland for example, there wasn't much trouble there even during the troubles. Most people in rural areas and small towns get along just fine, but there are festooned insular enclaves like Moneyslane that would be fairly intimidating for anyone not used to places like that, but the chances of anything bad happening to you there would be slim. Places like that are all bark and no bite for the most part.

Who wants to be barked at though? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

The way certain people up there sniff around to figure out your religion is kind of funny though.

We were up there with Cork Protestant republican which just caused certain people to be massively confused on both sides of the argument.

Also I'm from a long line of heathens myself so, that also caused some interesting discussions, as despite being from the "south", I have absolutely no idea how a Mass works and jibes avoid confession boxes mean nothing to me as I've never been inside one and have only seen them on TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

...about eight times since 1983.

1st time we were waved through an army checkpoint on the border as it was during the Troubles. Since then we've had some lovely shopping trips + taken in a lot of scenery on weekend trips. We like NI.

currants wrote: »
    You're blowing this way out of proportion, if you lived in a spread out community that might see the police an hour or so after you've called them you'd look at it in a different way. I've never been interrogated by the locals, more a "so what has you up this way" asked casually. I know why they're asking so i set their mind at rest by replying, "just up for a few days break, staying in X place, they know by my response that I know why they're asking and are happy with the answer. Its less to do with the troubles and more to do with rural crime. You shouldn't take it personally and its not a NI thing, its a rural community thing. I've asked strangers the same question myself a few times over the years.

No I live in a rural community and I know about nosy parkers. I answered the initial ''so what has you up here on your own'' (in my case) question every time I was asked. Do you not think we all ask people something like that in a friendly manner, and know the difference?. They didn't stop there. If they had stopped there I'd have paid no mind and wouldn't be mentioning it here.

Other folk from NI are admitting on this thread that some other people up there can be weird with strangers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I've been up to the Apple Store a few times. If it wasn't for the Apple Store I'd never go up north.

• Advertisement

mad muffin wrote: »
    I've been up to the Apple Store a few times. If it wasn't for the Apple Store I'd never go up north.

I'm still flabbergasted that Apple don't have retail presence in the Republic of Ireland. It's supposedly something to do with some retailer exclusivity deals that didn't allow them to open here. It took them a long time in Scotland too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

If you meet the wrong person it can be a reminder of the bad times but that has only happened to me 3 or 4 times out of God knows how many visits. Best example was coming back from a Liverpool match, chatting away to couple of lads about the game, once they spotted the Irish passport they transformed to arseholes.

You'll meet arseholes everywhere.

Worked in Derry back in the day, after the GFA and all that. Everything used to just close down at 6 and you'd think it was a Zombie movie! Place just became deserted in 5 minutes.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Ah sure they all have Irish passports now to avoid losing access to the EU.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Or...because we're Irish...

Derry is a great spot these days. Would very much recommend people make a visit here if they get the chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I always find it mad how many people from Dublin have never been up north. A night out in Derry or Belfast isn't drastically different from Galway, certainly no more "messy"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Noveight wrote: »
    Did a road trip of the northern counties last summer. Thoroughly enjoyed it. The Titanic centre in Belfast and the history of Derry city were the highlights.
    Only Yanks do road trips here we drive from one place to another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I make the great cross border journey daily.

While I think a lot of the blanket North abuse here is largely unfounded generalising, I would agree that ingrained sectarianism is still alive. I was attending an event in the Odyssey a while back and was to meet a friend at his in laws house just off the Shankill and then we were driving into town in the one car. His folks advised leaving his car behind and driving mine as leaving a DL reg there for the night wouldn't be advisable.

I've also deleted a few people from Facebook for this kind of crap. People who I knew from work and who added me more as acquaintances rather than friends. Next thing the 12th rolls around and they're posting pictures of bonfires with tricolours on top!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Their road finishing skills were a sight to behold the proper mix of asphalt and finished curbs but we caught up with them eventually

Ahh yes that reminds me of back in the day. We have often trekked "up north" on the bikes since the early eighties and the difference when you crossed over that line, bliss.
    We would joke with lads who had never been up before when they would ask ".. how do you know where the actual border is on the road?"
    We'd tell them to watch out for the old man sitting on the chair by the side of the road with a big lump hammer and a big bolster in his hands. That he was there to chip away any of their good road asphalt that might have crept onto our side of the border and throw it back onto their side :D

Never ever had a problem anytime up the North, still travel up often enough and people are great to deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I seriously doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I don't know how to answer. I went to the Donegal Gaeltacht at 13 and our bus went through the North, stopping in Fermanagh town for a piss.

At 21 I also bounced along the roads through NI on a roadtrip from Dublin to Donegal.

So do I qualify as having "been"? I don't think so.

irish_goat wrote: »
    Or...because we're Irish...

Derry is a great spot these days. Would very much recommend people make a visit here if they get the chance.

I mean the ones who consider themselves very British but have passports of convenience. I've been surprised at a few fairly confirmed unionists I know who suddenly decided to apply to hedge their bets.

• Advertisement

Del.Monte wrote: »
    I seriously doubt it.

If there's cash in it they'll do it! Used to be a "Loyalist" haulage business from Derry that registered there lorries in the South because it was cheaper. This was around the late 90's.

Once money comes into it, allegiances don't be long going out the window.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

K-9 wrote: »
    If there's cash in it they'll do it! Used to be a "Loyalist" haulage business from Derry that registered there lorries in the South because it was cheaper. This was around the late 90's.

Once money comes into it, allegiances don't be long going out the window.

Dukes, they were from Portadown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Why are DL reg'd cars unpopular in the North?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I have been to Northern Ireland. I met too many suspicious, nosy people to bother going back. There's a totally different atmosphere up there. It's understandable considering the history, and I also met great people. But it's offputting
    sounds like Cork to me, to be honest.
    Such a crowd to have to know each others business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

bear1 wrote: »

They aren't, people are full of notions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I find it a horribly oppressive feeling place. The troubles took a massive toll on Northern Ireland and it will be a long time before those scars heal.
    I think the best thing for Northern Ireland would be to become independent of both Britain and Ireland, the place has its own identity and doesn't really fit snugly into Irish or British culture. Sure it'd be tough financially but in a century from now I can see it being an independent country and much the better for it.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

nullzero wrote: »
    I find it a horribly oppressive feeling place. The troubles took a massive toll on Northern Ireland and it will be a long time before those scars heal.
    I think the best thing for Northern Ireland would be to become independent of both Britain and Ireland, the place has its own identity and doesn't really fit snugly into Irish or British culture. Sure it'd be tough financially but in a century from now I can see it being an independent country and much the better for it.

I think the best thing for NI is severe economic reality. They've been subsidised heavily for decades. Their economy has suffered from the very split society but not as much as it should have. Tribal politics wouldn't survive if they actually had to face economic consequences.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

nullzero wrote: »
    Blame the provos, arseholes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

It was downhill before that LP. State sponsored discrimination doesn't make one's state an appealing place to invest.

• Advertisement

bear1 wrote: »

Just as blanket accusation is nonsense, so is blanket denial.

In certain areas of the North, where sectarian hatred is still present, driving a DL (or any other Southern reg) car is identifying yourself as Irish rather than British and can get you in trouble.

Obviously it's only in the most deeply fleg waving, coloured pavement, knuckle dragging areas, but they do exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

DrPhilG wrote: »

In certain areas of the North, where sectarian hatred is still present, driving a DL (or any other Southern reg) car is identifying yourself as Irish rather than British and can get you in trouble.

Obviously it's only in the most deeply fleg waving, coloured pavement, knuckle dragging areas, but they do exist.

You'll have to enlighten me to where these areas are too then, we've had cars in every housing estate, industrial estate and country estate in the country, north and south, and the only places where we've had cars damaged? Kilkenny City and Ballinamore, Co Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Used to go to Newry and the outlet in Ban bridge a good bit when i lived at home with the folks (north county Dublin) wouldn't go up much anymore , I'm in the UK allot for work and the football and Ruby so no real need , think I've been to Belfast twice ever , Derry once for a Bohs game and never been anywhere else in northern Ireland.

To be honest OP I'm from Dublin and had never been further south then Bray until i moved to Cork for work for a year when i was 21, other then Killarney and some other beauty spots in Kerry you're not missing much. I've still been to more cities in the UK , States in the US and Countries in Europe than i have been to Counties in Ireland hahahahahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

To even out some snippy negative comments about the some bystanders in Northern Ireland so far...

I took a trip to Cnocnafeola village at the base of the Mourne Mountains in 2009.
    I was staying in the Hostel.

Walking from the Hostel to the community centre on mee tod......

**************THE HEAVENS OPENED*********:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Got drenched............and then a Toyota Avensis driver stopped.......took me in their car the rest of the way about a mile.

Was in Belfast too and spoke to 2 competing tour bus operators...some good natured banter, also in Victoria Shopping Mall, had friendly chat with gift shop counter staff member.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Worked in Belfast for a while. Down on the docks (not plying my wares). Was great, lovely people, great craic, good shopping, fantastic restaurants, lovely hotels. Didn't stay weekends but went back and forth for a few months. Was great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

If you meet the wrong person it can be a reminder of the bad times but that has only happened to me 3 or 4 times out of God knows how many visits. Best example was coming back from a Liverpool match, chatting away to couple of lads about the game, once they spotted the Irish passport they transformed to arseholes.

Bit surprised about that, I know people from all over the island head towards Liverpool on match days but I've always had the impression the sort of people you're on about had more of a problem with NI Nationalists than 'Southerners'. In fact a hotelier in Liverpool said to me once about how well the Northern and ROI based soccer visitors to the city got on.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I think the best thing for NI is severe economic reality. They've been subsidised heavily for decades. Their economy has suffered from the very split society but not as much as it should have. Tribal politics wouldn't survive if they actually had to face economic consequences.

Jaysus, areas like the Falls and Shankhill suffer enough from unemployment, poverty and poor education levels, which certain elements exploit. You'd be risking a return to the Troubles.

The root cause was a Protestant state for a Protestant people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Can't say that this is my experience at all. Maybe a few years ago but it's astounding how much things have changed.

I regularly visit a friend who lives in a terraced house in a staunch loyalist area in East Belfast. Pavements all painted, the house at the end of the terrace has a permanent UVF mural. I park my Mayo "MO" reg car in the street overnight (sometimes 2 nights) and NEVER have I had any hassle from the locals.
    Admittedly I was a bit nervous the first time (5ish years ago) but that's only from growing up in the North through the 70s and 80s.

It's amazing how much bull**** is sprouted about the North from people who visit once, loaded with pre-conceived ideas or who visited years ago. Belfast in particular has changed immeasurably.

Guess what? There's good and bad everywhere

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Wellywoo

I've never been, would love to go and tbh it's sheer laziness really because the only thing putting me off is the journey; even to get the train to the North I have to go via Dublin and tickets aren't cheap! It's so ridiculous, we're such a tiny island why is everything so awkward and expensive :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭cbreeze

I've only ever experienced friendliness and helpfulness in Belfast.

1. I was looking for directions to the docks a couple of years ago (from the Bus Centre) and the guy I asked not only gave me directions but brought me all the way to where I was going - even asked to carry my rucksack
    2. In the city centre I asked a bus-driver for directions he gave them and then he said, 'hop in, I'm going that way anyway!' (no charge).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

The theme song from "Cheers" plays in my head every time I'm in Belfast. Everyone's your friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭WestWing

Choochtown wrote: »

It's amazing how much bull**** is sprouted about the North from people who visit once, loaded with pre-conceived ideas or who visited years ago. Belfast in particular has changed immeasurably.

Some of the crap being posted is from the usual bots that feel the need to respond to any positive of Northern Ireland with a negative story.

If i were a betting man i'd be inclined to wager a few quid that most of them have never crossed the border or had any dealings with Nordies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

The root cause was a Protestant state for a Protestant people.

Not to mention numerous IRA campaigns against the NI State from the day it was created.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Stasi 2.0

I was attending an event in the Odyssey a while back and was to meet a friend at his in laws house just off the Shankill and then we were driving into town in the one car. His folks advised leaving his car behind and driving mine as leaving a DL reg there for the night wouldn't be advisable. !

Think they were been over cautious

Half those thugs can't read anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Not to mention numerous IRA campaigns against the NI State from the day it was created.

There were plenty of IRA campaigns against the ''free state'' too in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭WestWing

Stasi 2.0 wrote: »
    Think they were been over cautious

Half those thugs can't read anyway.

Quality post. :rolleyes:

Generalise much?

You'll have to enlighten me to where these areas are too then, we've had cars in every housing estate, industrial estate and country estate in the country, north and south, and the only places where we've had cars damaged? Kilkenny City and Ballinamore, Co Leitrim

A friend of mine grew up as a Catholic in Belfast and could probably tell you more. But as I said, I've been warned by friends living just off the Shankill that I most definitely should not leave my car outside their house.

I also had some unsavoury looking lads gathering to watch while a mechanic friend of mine did some work on my car at his house in Nelson Drive in Derry. The guy who lived there actually stopped what he was doing and arranged to meet me elsewhere to complete it.

Choochtown wrote: »
    Can't say that this is my experience at all. Maybe a few years ago but it's astounding how much things have changed.

I regularly visit a friend who lives in a terraced house in a staunch loyalist area in East Belfast. Pavements all painted, the house at the end of the terrace has a permanent UVF mural. I park my Mayo "MO" reg car in the street overnight (sometimes 2 nights) and NEVER have I had any hassle from the locals.
    Admittedly I was a bit nervous the first time (5ish years ago) but that's only from growing up in the North through the 70s and 80s.

Good and bad everywhere is exactly the point I've been making, both here and in the specific "Derry/Londonderry" thread.

My statements do not come from visiting the North on occasion. I'm in Derry daily, and Belfast probably half a dozen times a year.

I married a Derry woman but don't let that cloud my claim of being sane and rational.

The time I described on the Shankill was in November.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

the whole place smells of Buckfast

• Advertisement
Advertisement