Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employee disciplinary after improvement after time frame.

Options
  • 13-12-2016 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi guys and gals

I am facing a disciplinary for a matter in work after which I have received a verbal warning but this is 1 year after the verbal warning was issued. Can this still be brought to a final written or is a new verbal warning the most that can be issued. There is just 1 issue at hand and in every other way I am a model employee. Quote my manager.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

depends on the severity of the infringement

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ravon1981

An issue with personal hygiene. BO and messy hair.

ravon1981 wrote: »
    An issue with personal hygiene. BO and messy hair.

This would be something you promise to address and they monitor it for a while.

Wash and wear fresh clothes everyday. And buy a comb.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

mansize wrote: »
    This would be something you promise to address and they monitor it for a while.

Wash and wear fresh clothes everyday. And buy a comb.

Op had a warning for it a year ago.

Op did you improve and let your standards slip?

And do you deal with customers?

Stheno wrote: »

A year ago, and sipping would be something that needs addressing, its NOT a firing matter tbf

• Advertisement

Yes improvement but due to work pressure standards slips slightly with busy xmas period.

Yes I do deal with customers. Also semi management. Not assistant manager but section manager.

Yes improvement but due to work pressure standards slips slightly with busy xmas period.

Yes I do deal with customers. Also semi management. Not assistant manager but section manager.

Shower every morning, get a strong anti perspirant ensure your shoes don't smell either

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I'm sorry but I can see why management would be annoyed and coming down hard on you.

Having to approach an employee even once over such a sensitive issue is awkward enough but having to remind them to shower and groom themselves on the regular creates a negative working environment.

They must feel that you still aren't understanding if a year later you are still slipping up with something that is second nature to the majority of the population.

I understand mental health issues can cause a lack of interest in personal appearance and I'm not sure if this is the case for you, but simply being under pressure at work is no excuse for such poor hygiene to the point that you've been given verbal warnings on the matter.

Shower every morning, get a strong anti perspirant ensure your shoes don't smell either

Do all those things. Just with it being busy being pulled left right and center. Hard not too when heat on full blast and up and down 15ft ladders

Do all those things. Just with it being busy being pulled left right and center. Hard not too when heat on full blast and up and down 15ft ladders

Are you overweight? Do your colleagues smell?

If not, your not cleaning properly. What antiperspirant do you use?

• Advertisement

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I can see why management would be annoyed and coming down hard on you.

Having to approach an employee even once over such a sensitive issue is awkward enough but having to remind them to shower and groom themselves on the regular creates a negative working environment.

They must feel that you still aren't understanding if a year later you are still slipping up with something that is second nature to the majority of the population.

I understand mental health issues can cause a lack of interest in personal appearance and I'm not sure if this is the case for you, but simply being under pressure at work is no excuse for such poor hygiene to the point that you've been given verbal warnings on the matter.

I do understand they are not doing it out of spite but to help me but i was wondering on just the severity after a full year since a verbal warning.

I do understand they are not doing it out of spite but to help me but i was wondering on just the severity after a full year since a verbal warning.

have you been spoken about it between times?

Do you change you clothes everyday?

Are you overweight? Do your colleagues smell?

If not, your not cleaning properly. What antiperspirant do you use?

not overweight but not slim either lol Have said to a couple of the lads during hot weather but just a general thing. nothing formal. just between me and them.

Use nivea for men.

have you been spoken about it between times?

Do you change you clothes everyday?

just once a couple of weeks ago during black friday when we were mental.

yes new trousers, underwear, socks, shirt the works

not overweight but not slim either lol Have said to a couple of the lads during hot weather but just a general thing. nothing formal. just between me and them.

Use nivea for men.

get a stronger anti perspirant in the pharmacy, aluminium based and spend longer in the shower, and wear fresh clothes everyday

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Have you checked the disciplinary process in your organisation?

They should have it documented how long a verbal warning can last, afaik there is nothing in legislation about it.

Shoes?

So three times now including last year, Black Friday and this latest issue?

Have you thought about going to the Dr to have a check up to see if there is something causing this?

If you smell that badly that your colleagues notice it and are showering every day and wearing clean clothes, that is not normal.

Same with messy hair, have you thought about getting a haircut? How is your hair messy? Is it long?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Why not have deodorant somewhere on the premises that you can respray when you start to get whiffy? In fairness if you're working in a warehouse doing physical work & your not sweating then I'd be more worried

So three times now including last year, Black Friday and this latest issue?

Have you thought about going to the Dr to have a check up to see if there is something causing this?

If you smell that badly that your colleagues notice it and are showering every day and wearing clean clothes, that is not normal.

Same with messy hair, have you thought about getting a haircut? How is your hair messy? Is it long?

3 times??

No cause other than just extremely busy. Only customer comments I have had are that I am always running around the place getting stuff done where as others are not.

No colleague has mad a complaint. Just managers.

I have strange hair. Grows in patches especially at sides. Hair cuts last about a month. Hair is not long.

• Advertisement

Help!!!! wrote: »
    Why not have deodorant somewhere on the premises that you can respray when you start to get whiffy? In fairness if you're working in a warehouse doing physical work & your not sweating then I'd be more worried

I actually do. Thats the thing. I always make sure I have one handy just in case after the first chat.

3 times??

No cause other than just extremely busy. Only customer comments I have had are that I am always running around the place getting stuff done where as others are not.

I have strange hair. Grows in patches especially at sides. Hair cuts last about a month. Hair is not long.

Keep it neat and short then

I actually do. Thats the thing. I always make sure I have one handy just in case after the first chat.

Get something stronger than Nivea!

http://m.boots.ie/h5/cat_hub?unCountry=roi&path=/en/Odaban-Antiperspirant-spray_1116405/

3 times??

You said once last year, then this year during black Friday and now this latest issue? Or is the latest issue Black Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Op I get paranoid about smelling a bit in work if I'm really busy or if I get warm so I started bringing wet wipes in and having my deodorant with me in work. Quick trip to the bathroom, use a wet wipe to freshen up and quick fresh spray. You're obviously fresh going in. Fresh sweat doesn't smell, it's the stale sweat that does so if you freshen up throughout the day and don't allow sweat to build up on your clothes you should be OK. This is only if you are washing right to begin with though and freshening up before spraying, spraying onto smelly clothes or skin will make it worse.

You said once last year, then this year during black Friday and now this latest issue? Or is the latest issue Black Friday?

awh sorry yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Sanex Roll On. I'd be a sweaty guy, but swear by the stuff.

awh sorry yes.

Which is it, two or three times in total? That's actually important.

Also with the clean clothes every day, are you changing socks and shoes, and do you wear the same coat/jacket?

Which is it, two or three times in total? That's actually important.

Also with the clean clothes every day, are you changing socks and shoes, and do you wear the same coat/jacket?

One formal last year. 2 informal ie in passing but disciplinary scheduled for Thursday so that is why I am wondering after the verbal warning over 12 months ago how it would play out. Whether they could go written or just go to verbal again.

• Advertisement

One formal last year. 2 informal ie in passing but disciplinary scheduled for Thursday so that is why I am wondering after the verbal warning over 12 months ago how it would play out. Whether they could go written or just go to verbal again.

Check your companys policy, some will have a timeframe on it, such as six months, then it expires. But it's up to each company what they define.

I'd consider three warnings for something like BO and a messy appearance in a year (formal or otherwise) an indication that you have not addressed this appropriately.

For most people one warning would be enough and they'd be mortified about it.

Advertisement