Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employee disciplinary after improvement after time frame.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭screamer

I'd think a trip to the doctor would be in order too. I understand that people sweat and can smell but this is not normal, do you suffer with excessive sweating? . I know also, it is a difficult conversation for a manager to have, it's also difficult for co-workers to put up with a smelly colleague ( I know, I used to work with a guy who smelt of garlic 24 x 7 and when confined in the small office I used to want to vomit with the smell of him) no matter how good a colleague he was, the smell was just unbearable.

I'm not sure if they can/ will move to final warning over the issue, but it is possible, so before that, you need to ensure that you have done everything you can to address and correct the issue, and a doctors trip would be a good thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ravon1981

screamer wrote: »
    I'd think a trip to the doctor would be in order too. I understand that people sweat and can smell but this is not normal, do you suffer with excessive sweating? . I know also, it is a difficult conversation for a manager to have, it's also difficult for co-workers to put up with a smelly colleague ( I know, I used to work with a guy who smelt of garlic 24 x 7 and when confined in the small office I used to want to vomit with the smell of him) no matter how good a colleague he was, the smell was just unbearable.

I'm not sure if they can/ will move to final warning over the issue, but it is possible, so before that, you need to ensure that you have done everything you can to address and correct the issue, and a doctors trip would be a good thing to do.

lol jesus it aint that bad. I am guessing it just trying to weed it out. Simple stuff like messy hair and unshaven after a couple of days. Its not excessive but after 8 hours of running around it can take its toll.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

ravon1981 wrote: »
    lol jesus it aint that bad. I am guessing it just trying to weed it out. Simple stuff like messy hair and unshaven after a couple of days. Its not excessive but after 8 hours of running around it can take its toll.

Seriously you don't sound like you are taking this seriously.

For me the biggest issue would be the BO, it's disgusting working with someone who smells. If you are wearing fresh clean clothes every day and having a shower in the morning and wearing antiperspirant, and you smell so bad during an 8 hour shift something is wrong.

Why is your hair messy and you're unshaven after a couple of days? Can you not wash your hair in the shower and shave every day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭screamer

ravon1981 wrote: »

See this might be the problem right here, you think it's not that bad, but clearly others do. OP I'm not trying to be nasty or funny or anything but you need to take it seriously and you need to sort it out. You don't need to answer these questions online, rather more food for thought- Have you tried other anti-perspirants, do you wear cotton based clothing (that helps with sweating). Shoes should have leather insides too. If your hair is that messy, get a number 2 or 3 shave on it. Seriously, you need to take it seriously as it seems your employer is about to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

OP are you working in a store/office/warehouse?

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

Very brave of you to openly discuss your personal issues, can't be easy.

In terms of the length of warnings, generally verbal and written would last 6 months. Final written would be 12 months. Thats my experience of course.

Enquire when the written warning you received expired.

In terms of the odours, were Lynx Dry. It is expensive but its worth it. Also, bring a pack of baby wipes into work and clean under the arms every couple of hours. Also, how are you washing your clothes? If you are using a launderette, this can be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Seeing as you struggle to shave your stubble, I don't know if this is pointless advice but shaving your armpits might be a good idea.
    Sweat clings to the hair and lingers, so it's easier to stay fresh when the area is hairless. just something to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

OP, something doesn’t add up here, either you are not being totally honest (with us and yourself!) or you have an underlying medical issue that may need addressing. If you are showering, putting on deodorant, clean clothes every day and re-spraying deodorant during the day, then there is no way you should be sweating so much to cause a body odour that is offensive to other people. Also, you mention that your hair and stubble gets out of hand, well, that doesn’t happen over an 8 hour shift, so that’s something in your power to control. Get a haircut every three weeks so that it never gets out of hand, shave daily. Invest in a stronger deodorant, there are brands in the chemist that help with excessive sweating. As someone previously mentioned. If your clothes aren’t being dried properly, then that can cause a very unpleasant, musty smell. Don’t overload your washing machine and put the clothes out as soon as they’re ready. Try and dry near an open window or an area that gets good natural light if possible. I find the cheap detergent and softener doesn’t leave a nice scent, so it’s always something I don’t scrimp on. I know it can be hard to get clothes washed and dried this time of year, but it’s just something you’re going to have to try and get on top of. Someone else mentioned shoes, I worked with a guy who obviously had a hole in his shoe, so all I could smell was a damp, musty foot odour. It was really unpleasant.

I know all this seems petty but it is obviously something your employers feel very strongly about so you’re going to have to take it seriously and don’t let standards slip. If you honestly are doing all of the above, then I really think a trip to the doctor is necessary. There are some hormone imbalances that cause very bad body odour, through no fault of your own, so it could be worth ruling that out.

As regards to your verbal warning, check your contract or with your union if you are in one. I would imagine most companies verbal warnings would have an expiry at most of one year. Best of luck with it OP, it’s not an easy thing to have to deal with for you or them so I hope you can come to some resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

screamer wrote: »
    do you wear cotton based clothing (that helps with sweating).
    This is one thing that a lot of people probably overlook. I've worked with people in the past that changed their clothes every day, but didn't wash those clothes in between. Even though the job was sedentary and didn't involve sweating, there is a very specific smell that unwashed clothes have and it reeks.

Artificial fibres are really bad for this, and even after you've given them a wash, the smell comes back again far quicker.

Make sure your clothes have natural fibres; polyester trousers are nice and cheap but they will stink quickly, likewise shirts and T-shirts. Go for cotton or wool. If your budget is stretched, blends are OK but they should be at least 75% natural fibres.

Wear all clothes once and then wash them using biological powder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Only wear fresh clothes

Advertisement