Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Console Advice

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    :confused::confused::confused:
    1. Plug <console> into <TV> with <HDMI cable>
    2. Turn on <console> and <TV>
    3. Enjoy modern gaming <as you wait for firmware to update>

Lizard Squad say hi. But seriously live and psn will be getting hammered Christmas Day even if there aren't any shenanigans Plus large parts of the country don't have high speed broadband so firmware or game updates could take hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭mcgrath1992

Lizard Squad say hi. But seriously live and psn will be getting hammered Christmas Day even if there aren't any shenanigans Plus large parts of the country don't have high speed broadband so firmware or game updates could take hours.

ugh tell me about it , theres no fiber where i am so it takes over 10 hours to download a game and then theres the application update straight after that :eek:
    so yeah deffo set it up a few nights before and leave it download overnight maybe , it will make life easier for christmas morning

If you do buy one, make sure you take it out of the box, hook it up, and let it perform whatever system updates is required. Also if you buy any games, let them do their updates too. You can then put it back in the box and wrap it.

If you don't do this, then all of the above could take the guts of a day, if not more, on Christmas day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Buy a Megadrive!

Step 1: Plug Megadrive into wall via power supply
    Step 2: Connect Megadrive to CRT via RGB cable
    Step 3: Put Sonic 2 cartridge into Megadrive.
    Step 4: Turn on Megadrive.
    Step 5: No step 5, that's it, it just works right away!

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

If you do buy one, make sure you take it out of the box, hook it up, and let it perform whatever system updates is required. Also if you buy any games, let them do their updates too. You can then put it back in the box and wrap it.

If you don't do this, then all of the above could take the guts of a day, if not more, on Christmas day.

If they have any kind of decent internet it will be done in an hour or two. Update files aren't that big and game updates are non essential anyway. They can download away in the background

Just like all the updates

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If they have any kind of decent internet it will be done in an hour or two. Update files aren't that big and game updates are non essential anyway. They can download away in the background

Not on Xmas day with millions all over the world hammering the service at the same time effectively giving a ddos attack response. Usually happens to Sony as their network is pretty flimsy. I'd some hacker group decides to ruin Xmas with an actual ddos attack expect it to take a few days.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Not on Xmas day with millions all over the world hammering the service at the same time effectively giving a ddos attack response. Usually happens to Sony as their network is pretty flimsy. I'd some hacker group decides to ruin Xmas with an actual ddos attack expect it to take a few days.

What a world we live in. God i can remember using an RF cable for my PS one as a kid and not having a notion on how to tune the TV to actually get a display - when I got my PS2 for Christmas a few years later I had the overwhelming fear that would happen again only to be delighted all I needed was the scart to composite adapter that was included and I was playing in minutes. Now we buy a new machine and have to wait an uncertain amount of time to have our consoles ready. The golden age of gaming? The hell it is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Composite???
    Are you quite, quite mad???
    Mentioning that filth here?
    Dear sweet zombie jebus, you've lost your mind!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Composite???
    Are you quite, quite mad???
    Mentioning that filth here?
    Dear sweet zombie jebus, you've lost your mind!

Hey listen buddy I used what I was given

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Which has better blast processing? PS4 or Xbox One?

• Advertisement

SEGA DO WHAT NINTENDONT. we don't get marketing like that anymore, for shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

More of a mode 7 man myself... :D

Sadly not at peak times like Christmas. Plus you factor in the possibility of the networks being hacked and taken down like they were in previous years. Better to be safe than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

God of course the impossible task of creating an account. Takes hours even for veterans. Not like it's possible to create one online

Right this second

*yawn*

Hey listen buddy I used what I was given

Ignorance is not a defence!!!

Only kidding.
    I used composite on everything for years, right up to getting my first RGB cable for my Megadrive, the difference was so stark that I ended up getting everything an RGB cable of its own.

Advertisement