Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Requesting a 2nd viewing on a property I am bidding on

Options
  • 13-12-2016 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Just wondered can an EA refuse to allow a 2nd viewing?

I have been bidding on a property now for almost a month, myself and 1 other bidder have been bidding for 3 weeks now and I just wonder can an EA refuse a 2nd viewing or what way is best to phrase it to him? Is it the norm that people have more than 1 viewing before their offer is accepted?

New to all this so appreciate some feedback, thanks :)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Just ask. What's the drama?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Any house we were thinking of even starting to bid on we went for a second viewing, before any bids went in. First viewing was just to get an initial opinion and the second one was much more detailed, getting answers to questions that we had between viewings.

Don't be shy, can't figure why the EA wouldn't allow a second viewing. Remember it's a huge purchase, best to be certain before you go further.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭SteM

I can't believe someone would put a bid in on a house without viewing it at least twice tbh. Why would the estate agent refuse your request?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

SteM wrote:
    I can't believe someone would put a bid in on a house without viewing it at least twice tbh. Why would the estate agent refuse your request?

It took a potential buyer 3 viewings to offer the asking on my house and the auctioneer was more than happy to facilitate them. Can't see the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Conrad83

Well I did ask for a 2nd viewing early on but was told the seller wasn't doing any more viewings as they wanted a quick sale so am wondering if I will be turned down again, this was weeks ago now and the price has obviously increased considerably and now I am in the final 2 bidders.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Second and maybe third viewing at different times if he Day to judge lighting, traffic and surroundings.

Conrad83 wrote:
    Well I did ask for a 2nd viewing early on but was told the seller wasn't doing any more viewings as they wanted a quick sale so am wondering if I will be turned down again, this was weeks ago now and the price has obviously increased considerably and now I am in the final 2 bidders.

If the seller doesn't want to allow 2nd viewings that's their prerogative tbh.

kceire wrote:
    Second and maybe third viewing at different times if he Day to judge lighting, traffic and surroundings.

All of which can be done without needing access to the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Conrad83 wrote: »
    I'd be wondering what they're trying to hide?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

the_syco wrote: »
    I'd be wondering what they're trying to hide?

Exactly what I thought. I'd be nearly laughing in the EA's face with that response. Do they really thinking one viewing of something that could cost the OP 200, 300K or more is sufficient.

The warning bells would be going of in my head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

How many viewings is too much? We have gone sale agreed and our buyers have asked for a fourth viewing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Conrad83 wrote: »

Thats not the same as refusing someone who's actively bidding another look around the place.

The EA could simply have meant that they were satisfied with the level of interest and werent doing more viewings for new parties. I'd absolutely ask to be shown it again.

Did you say "are there going to be more viewings?" or "can I arrange a 2nd viewing for myself" - totally different. The first is asking are they going to open it up to the general public again, as as I said if they're happy with the current crop of potential buyers then its legitimate not to. If its the latter, then that would be a bit weird, but I would suspect more to do with a lazy EA than anything sinister.

Also, don't be so meek, just say what you want. If they want your business, they'll accommodate you.

I've the dubious honour of having been sale agreed 4 times, and I never got to that point without viewing twice. In my case I'd typically go alone, and the get my Dad to come with me for 2nd viewings and to play devils advocate if necessary. This is really valuable and not something you should agree to forgo so easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

How many viewings is too much? We have gone sale agreed and our buyers have asked for a fourth viewing!

Depends - are they just looking around or are these viewings them bringing in people to quote for work/do the valuation/survey?

4 is OTT in my eyes if its just for a looksee!

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

4 viewings if they're just looking around themselves is a bit ott. We had 2 viewings before we bid the second viewing was looking for faults etc then the surveyor and bank valuation when we went sale agreed.

Op if they're not willing to let you in for another viewing how accommodating will the be when you want to get a survey done?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Depends - are they just looking around or are these viewings them bringing in people to quote for work/do the valuation/survey?

4 is OTT in my eyes if its just for a looksee!

Yeah, it was a look-see. I told the ea that they could come if they needed but not if it was just a look.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

nhunter100 wrote: »
    All of which can be done without needing access to the property.

Except the rear garden. Where you might want to check where the sun gets to and until what time. No point paying that bit extra for a south facing garden if the adjoining extension blocks the sun at 6pm in the summer so by the time you get home, it's in the shade anyway.

*hard to check at this time of year in anyway.

But I do agree on other issues that can be checked yourself by doing a drive by in the evenings or weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Steodonn

Technically they dont even have to give one, but as others have said you'd be mad not looking around 2-3 should be standard fully and they'd be mad to refuse you if your one of two active bidders. I'd be making you tea talking about how much the other guy wants it

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Conrad83

So the estate agent has come back to me, after ignoring my previous request to arrange another viewing and has simply said he cannot show me the property this week, nothing more and nothing less. He really doesn't seem to give a damn or maybe he knows the other bidder will buy the property and doesn't care to show it to me again, or maybe I'm being paranoid!! Wouldn't trust any of those EA's!!

He doesn't seem to bothered and I suppose if I am lucky enough to go sale agreed I will have an oppurtunity to view it again anyway? I can't demand a 2nd viewing!

Advertisement