Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a cheap Dropper seatpost

Options
  • 13-12-2016 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

Hi ,

I'm on the look out for a cheap dropper seatpost for mountainbiking . Thing is I have disproportiantely long legs so my normal seat height is way too high for safely taking on singletrack and technical stuff , also I was at the ballyhouras recently and got very fed up of constantly getting on and off the bike to fiddle with the saddle height for climbs/descents.

I don't take the mountainbike out that often , only about a dozen times a year so Im not yet looking to get something pricey like a rockshock reverb .

Ive been looking at a Tmars on ebay cheapest at €70 and then an Rsp plummet from cyclestore Ireland for €115 , anyone got either of these or any other suggestions ?

Cheers ,

Barry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭C3PO

Hi ,

I'm on the look out for a cheap dropper seatpost for mountainbiking . Thing is I have disproportiantely long legs so my normal seat height is way too high for safely taking on singletrack and technical stuff , also I was at the ballyhouras recently and got very fed up of constantly getting on and off the bike to fiddle with the saddle height for climbs/descents.

I don't take the mountainbike out that often , only about a dozen times a year so Im not yet looking to get something pricey like a rockshock reverb .

Ive been looking at a Tmars on ebay cheapest at €70 and then an Rsp plummet from cyclestore Ireland for €115 , anyone got either of these or any other suggestions ?

Cheers ,

Barry

You will need to know what the diameter of your seat post is?

I would also caution that most of the really cheap "dropper" posts are junk!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I've no idea of the quality but it seems to get good reviews.

As above though you usually get what you pay for.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ie/en/brand-x-ascend-dropper-seatpost/rp-prod149024

FYI As it's internal wiring you may want to ensure there's a route through your frame for the cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

I saw that one on crc but unfortunately ive no internal route

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

Received this yesterday.

https://www.bike24.de/1.php?content=8;product=44171;menu=1000,2,110;mid%5B95%5D=1

has bleed kit and fluid included.

topcat77 wrote: »
    Received this yesterday.

https://www.bike24.de/1.php?content=8;product=44171;menu=1000,2,110;mid%5B95%5D=1

has bleed kit and fluid included.

Thanks , that s much cheaper than what I saw them for, Tempting . I have been reading up and posts like the reverb seem to need a lot of attention and servicing much like a fork or shock , I was hoping to get something purely mechanical and simple that I doesn't have air or oil to leak

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Thanks , that s much cheaper than what I saw them for, Tempting . I have been reading up and posts like the reverb seem to need a lot of attention and servicing much like a fork or shock , I was hoping to get something purely mechanical and simple that I doesn't have air or oil to leak

There are mechanical ones, e.g. the 'Gravity Dropper', but they're not necessarily cheaper. Reverbs do need servicing, but if you're only riding a dozen times a year then I'd expect it to last a long time before it does. Mine needed servicing after about 16 months, but that was being ridden at least once a week.

I have one of these on my other bike. I got it second hand (for €80 :p) nearly three years ago and the only maintenance I've done is replaced the cable (just like a gear cable) and applied a bit of grease. It's not as smooth or fast as the reverb, but it does the job perfectly fine.

@muckwarrior , when you say service do you mean just a bleed for the cable or did you have to replace the seals etc ? The service kits for the reverb on ebay cost almost as much as the Tmars post itself , Gravity dropper looks good and low maintenance only place I can see it to buy is from the U.S though and its pricey , kindshock could be what I'm after . Is the Kindshock mechanical ? cant tell myself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I got the reverb serviced in Expert Cycles. It cost €90 IIRC. It started to feel a bit rough, as if dirt had gotten in, so they must have taken it apart at the very least, not just a bleed.

No the kindshock is driven by air pressure too, but is cable actuated as opposed to hydraulic. Mine has been very reliable with very little maintenance, although whether they're generally considered more or less reliable than a reverb, I've no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭MarcinG

I'm 100kg plus plus. Using tmars for few months (busy with college now but i made few km with it on ballinastoe)
    So far so good.

Tmars seems to have mixed reviews , some saying its great others saying its made of cheese , If I cant get a gravity dropper second hand id try it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭boomdocker

Lads, I've been down this road...

Bought a Forca dropper from a lad on here..piece of crap that never worked properly...even if it did, not impressed with it, and it's basically the same as the T Mars

My advice - just buy a second hand Reverb. Look on singletrack world or gumtree in the UK, lots of them available. I got on for 130e delivered
    Awesome piece of kit

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭MarcinG

Yea easy to say unless your frame takes 27.2 ;)
    Not the smoothest thing i have seen but couldn't see myself spending (doubling value of my 17yrs old bike?;) 400 euro+ on thomson (only alternative i found in 27.2).

Ended up getting a second hand Gravity Dropper Turbo off ebay and shimmed it up for my bike . Very happy with it , only has three positions including the top but for me it's all i need .

Advertisement