Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robin Hood Origins

Options
  • 13-12-2016 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86,695 ✭✭✭✭

Ben Mendelsohn in talks to play Sheriff of Nottingham, great actor who could do an amazing job, of course topping or measuring up to Alan Rickman's take is difficult for any actor

Taron Egerton already cast as Robin with Jamie Dornan as Will Scarlett, Eve Hewson as Maid Marion and Jamie Foxx as Little John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Jamie Foxx as Little John

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 86,695 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

So he's more (or Moor! Ba-dum-tish!) like Morgan Freeman's Azeem than the British giant Little John usually is. I'll be cautiously optimistic about this. I do like Robin Hood style swashbuckling, but won't exactly be surprised if it turns out as a weak action film cashing in on the superhero trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 FireOne

The scene in Prince of Thieves where Robin Hood/Kevin Costner turns to his moorish companion (Morgan Freeman) and (in an american drawl) says "How come you're walking in back of me?" ranks as my most hated line in a movie. What a level of sloppiness, what a thoughtless insult to the audience....
    Jamie Fox as Little John suggests this film maybe sinking to that level. Hope not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

adding Morgan F to the costner thing was fair enough he was a friend that came back from the east
    having littlejohn as a 5'8 midget is doing it no favours

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Tim Minchin is Tuck?
    wtf?
    why can't they just add their own characters or just do an original story
    they main charachters in this stotry are set down in ancient ballads and just because the ballads are out of copyright is no reason to ruin the story
    write a new story instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

When Things Were Rotten is probably a better Robin Hood than this sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭techdiver

Is that Robin Hood or The Green Arrow? I can't tell..... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

techdiver wrote: »
    Is that Robin Hood or The Green Arrow? I can't tell..... :D
    Thought the exact same thing while watching that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

sounds like Jamie Dornan and Eve Hewson keep their Irish accents

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Looks like this years King Arthur: Legend of the Sword; a tarted up version of a public domain property that honestly, nobody cares that much about anymore. Even looks to be copying the same anachronistically 'modern' takes on medieval fashions of the Guy Ritchie film too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

I think someone binged watch the Arrow TV show and thought "Hey this would be a great spin on Robin Hood"

• Registered Users Posts: 32,953 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It looks more like that computer game thief.....
    It doesnt look great....defo getting the King Arthur vibe too...and it sucked

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Dont like Jamie Doran,he very bland.
    This looks horrible wont be paying to watch it and grab it when its realeased on DVD/Netflix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

This sounded good on paper but that trailer....horrendous. whoever said this years King Arthur was on the ball...and I'd know, I saw that bloody film in the cinema. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

pixelburp wrote: »
    Looks like this years King Arthur: Legend of the Sword; a tarted up version of a public domain property that honestly, nobody cares that much about anymore. Even looks to be copying the same anachronistically 'modern' takes on medieval fashions of the Guy Ritchie film too.

Let's hope it shares the same fate as that farce.

Maybe one day. Hollywood will get the feckin message.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,696 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

That looks horrendous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

That looks horrendous.

Robin Hood, Assassin's Creed Edition.
    All young and edgy and down with the kids of today, innit.

robin-hood-ben-mendelsohn.jpg

The Sheriff of Nottingham looks like he belongs in the 21st century or the future not 14th century :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Still looks rubbish, and an unwise attempt to riff on that King Arthur remake - ya know, that film nobody saw or liked lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭El Duda

This is getting torn to shreds by the critics. It never looked good....

robin_hood-584709551-large.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Except for Robin, why does everyone look like they're going out on the town on a Saturday night?

Looks ridiculous.

I hope it fails spectacularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

It's not very good but it's not terrible. It feels more like a dystopian future than 500 years ago, there are some nice ideas like Robin Hood being a Batman like figure; rich Lord during the day, revolutionary by night but it all feels very rushed while at the time the film feels long (contradictory I know). I wouldn't bother going to the cinema for it and it's definitely not going to get the sequel it wants.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Except for Robin, why does everyone look like they're going out on the town on a Saturday night?

Looks ridiculous.

I hope it fails spectacularly.

It reminds me of an ad for a fragrance

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

El Duda wrote: »
    This is getting torn to shreds by the critics. It never looked good....

robin_hood-584709551-large.jpg

Looks like something a kid would put together

its funny these days, guys like Ben Mendhellson and Jamie Dornan going from really good serious complex roles to absolute trash. But they are wealthy men now I can tell you!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I may be in the minority here, but I saw it these evening, and really enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I saw the trailer for this and it looked spectacularly bad, and the asthetic is just absurd. Looks even worse than King Arthur, which I was willing to give the benefit of the doubt but couldn't even finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Seen it earlier and thought overall it was just very boring.

There was no chemistry at all between Robin and Maid Marian (Bono's daughter) and the rest of the cast seemed to be phoning it in. Some scenes seemed more like recorded rehearsals.

Jamie Foxx ave the only believable (or watchable) performance. He made the film just about bearable.

Advertisement