Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Walkie talkies

• 13-12-2016 11:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭

Looking for a set of walkie talkie for when I'm out stalking with a friend, something cheap and cheerful that won't break the bank.
    Seen a set of Baofeng UV-5RE on AliExpress for about €25 each anyone try them or can you recommend something else.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/32716771066/32716771066.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭MarcinG

I have purchased 3 or 4 pairs of uv5. They are perfect for me. Works through concrete etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭Bad_alibi

MarcinG wrote: »
    I have purchased 3 or 4 pairs of uv5. They are perfect for me. Works through concrete etc.

That's good to know, might give a set a go at that price so. What's the battery life like, as for reception I'll be using them outside across open terrain. Is there a need to get the improved antennas.

Do they work out of the box or do you need to do anything to set them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭MarcinG

They work just fine out of the box. Few km range easilly. I had once friend sitting in the van outside lidl on nangor rd in clondalkin. I drove my van out to red cow no problems with reception. Ps use uhf rather than vhf for better range.
    Batterylife cant tell. If it hangs in the van and gets used few times a week on odd job it is easilly few months. But i never discharged battery fully in normal use. Sooner or later i will leave it on and dump it to box in the van. This is usually killing it within 24 or 48h. But mind you i dont really know if it transmits and what is actual time. But i own it for 2 years now and charged it maybe 5 times...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

MarcinG wrote: »
    Ps use uhf rather than vhf for better range.

That might not hold true for a rural environment, but I haven't used these handsets myself.

• Advertisement

I assume anyone on a similar frequency can hear what your saying. Is there such a thing as a private channel.

PS before some smart ass chimes in I know I'm describing a mobile phone. The area we do be out in has very little to no reception

Any thoughts on these only about €5 extra has HAM as well

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/32294691794/32294691794.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Rimfire Shooter

A "private" channel is available but you have to pay for it usually through a company that supplies radios etc. We have them at work. Not sure who supplies us but I know our radios can't be picked up by anyone with a scanner etc.

A "private" channel is available but you have to pay for it usually through a company that supplies radios etc. We have them at work. Not sure who supplies us but I know our radios can't be picked up by anyone with a scanner etc.

Well since I'm too miserable to spend more than €50, it rules out a private channel subscription

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36 Davidcardiff

Rimfire shooter your radios must be the new digital ones. Digital and tetra are the only ones can't be scanned

Most of the decent radios have thing called pl or dpl. Private line or digital private line it's in the programming of the radio no subscription or the likes. it cuts out any traffic coming through on your radios unless programmed with same pl or dpl. But people can still here what your saying if they're on that frequency

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Rimfire Shooter

Too technical for me lad.

I just know how to use 'em.

I bought a set years ago in Argos for when I'm out with someone else. Weren't big money. They still work fine.

Rimfire shooter your radios must be the new digital ones. Digital and tetra are the only ones can't be scanned

Most of the decent radios have thing called pl or dpl. Private line or digital private line it's in the programming of the radio no subscription or the likes. it cuts out any traffic coming through on your radios unless programmed with same pl or dpl. But people can still here what your saying if they're on that frequency

What's your thoughts on the second set I linked too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭clivej

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36 Davidcardiff

Bad_alibi wrote: »
    What's your thoughts on the second set I linked too.

They seem to be getting good reviews plenty for sale on eBay you can even program mountain rescue or coast guard into them as they are uhf and vhf. Most of they pmr ones are on the uhf 446 band with only 8 channels and .5w power

Advertisement