Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing between two VMs in VirtualBox

Options
  • 14-12-2016 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi,

Thanks in advance for reading/replying to my query.

So here's the setup:

My Host Operating system in Windows Server 2008

Im running virtualbox 5.0.2
    Im running two VMs. Both VMs are running the Windows Server 2008 OS also.

What I want to do is to create a file/folder in VM1 and share it with VM2 (and vice-versa). How can I do this? I am just experimenting with VirtualBox and VMs so if you could give me a step by step, simple answer, that would be great. Thanks.

(I have already got it setup so that the two VMs can ping each other...that is...I changed the network adapter from 'NAT' to 'Internal Network'..and I also disabled Windows Firewall in both VMs.)

Thanks again.

PhilB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

I Don't use virtualbox but if you can ping one vm from the other can you not just map to \\ip of vm2\c$ or whatever share from vm1?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

If they both shared a virtual hard drive wouldn't that work? Don't know an awful lot about VMs myself now, but if you had drive x for VM 1, drive y for VM 2 and drive z that both could access

• Registered Users Posts: 12 pbardsley

Thanks for the reply heroics.

Would you have a step-by-step on how to do that?

Sorry...I'm not computer savvy at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

pbardsley wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply heroics.

Would you have a step-by-step on how to do that?

Sorry...I'm not computer savvy at all.

C$ is the system share by default on a server.

To test if you can connect open a run command

type \\ip of server2\c$ for example \\192.168.1.1\c$

This may ask for credentials depending on your setup.

If this works just open explorer and map a drive as normal to the address from the run command.

Can you explain what you are using the share for? is this just for testing and practice/learning?

Like I said not sure about virtualbox but as digital solitude said it may be possible to share a virtual hard drive between VMs.
    From a quick google it seems that you can have a shared folder on the host and can access from both VMs.http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04.html#sharedfolders

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I have only one iso and I'm not dling and installing another so you'll have to test drive this yourself.

1. Select your OS in the VirtualBox homescreen, click Settings.
    2. Click into Storage next, and at the bottom of the right Tab it should have a Blue Icon with a + on it. Click it.
    3. "Add Hard Disk"
    4. "Create New Disk"
    5. "VHD"
    6. Dynamic or Fixed is up to you, fixed is probably easier here.
    7. Set it to whatever size you want and create it.
    8. Repeat steps 1, 2 and 3 for the OS you want to share with
    9. "Choose Existing Disk"
    10. Navigate to the VHD you just created and open it.
    11. If I'm right both OS's will now have access to any data stored on this drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you're using Windows x3 why not use HyperV? Honestly its a great hypervisor nowadays.

You can share a directory on either of the guests or the host, theyll all be able to talk.

Advertisement