Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Londonderry

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

the whole London thing only kicked off when the Shinners changed the name of the city council.

before that, EVERYbody called it Derry.

As a British passport holder, with several family members in the British forces/police, I make it my business to only ever call it Derry (when I'm with people i know)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

The only time I have ever felt nervous in Derry was when bus dropped me off in a loyalist/Unionist area when trying to find one of the retail parks, only knew that by the coloured paving slabs, but even then just pretended to know where I was going, and just plodded on

Most fun I had up there, was for an interfirms football match, where we even had the British Army Helecopter as a spectator.

Saying that, have never had an ounce of bother or ever encountered any trouble.
    road_high wrote: »
    Visited Derry on a very wet miserable September day a few years ago and to be honest I was actually taken aback about how deprived it and the people appeared. There was definitely a very working class element, id say there must be a huge proportion on disability. Struggled to find anywhere nice lunch for lunch (it was raining). Eventually had pizza on plastic trays in the shopping centre. TBH I said my own little city of Kilkenny was streets ahead in terms of being a nice place to visit.
    It's full of bookies, pawn shops, pound shops - not a great combination.
    I'd love to go back though as I feel missed a lot of it or something.

You can say the same about alot of UK small towns/cities, in terms of class and line up of shops. As for places to eat, there are several places to eat both in the shopping centres, and a stones throw from them that are not served on plastic trays.

the whole London thing only kicked off when the Shinners changed the name of the city council.

before that, EVERYbody called it Derry.

As a British passport holder, with several family members in the British forces/police, I make it my business to only ever call it Derry (when I'm with people i know)

Have nearly always referred to it as Derry, maybe Londonderry a few times as a miss educated kid, big Irish family growing up in London, and a Nordie primary school teacher growing up in London kept me straight there. As for this Derry Londonderry title, have never used that, and only ever seen it in advertising or on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

And there was me all this time thinking it was something to do with the 17th Century plantation of Ireland.

Silly me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I love Derry. Being from Cork it's a bit of a trip but Ive gone up for a few days twice. Excluding Cork for fear of being biased its my favourite city in ireland. Small but charming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I used to use a large sub contractor in Derry. We were under strict instructions to not say the name of the city until the person we were talking to did. That way we knew if we should call it Derry or LondonDerry.

They were ****ers though and used to play games with us. we'd go to great lengths to avoid using the name and they would keep pressuring us to say it, then whatever we used, they would claim it was the other.

I had a colleague who was in his mid twenties, from London and black. He had to visit there quite regularly in the mid nineties and a black English guy walking around stood out somewhat. The guys from the factory took him out and he got to know a lot of the locals and slowly became accepted. He did end up having several conversations with guys in trench coats who were sussing him out though.

Our boss went over with him once and Will took him to the local pub. The poor guy sat in the corner ****ting himself the whole evening, the fact that Will kept calling him Sarge didn't help either :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Londonderry

I had cause to visit Londonderry once and found the history and the intact walls fascinating. However, the natives appeared as inbred scavengers. It's as if the entire place has been used as a sink estate.

Who is to blame for this?

The impression I get nowadays is that the city is called Derry, and the county is called Londonderry. Unless of course you work in RTE, in which case both the city & county are exclusively Derry.

To their credit, the BBC tend to use both terms, as a balance to any tribal sensititivies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

some of the best friends I ever had was when I was in college in Derry, from both sections of the community.

LordSutch wrote: »
    The impression I get nowadays is that the city is called Derry, and the county is called Londonderry. Unless of course you work in RTE, in which case both the city & county are exclusively Derry.

To their credit, the BBC tend to use both terms, as a balance to any tribal sensititivies.

From memory, the BBC starts any report as Londonderry, and continues it with Derry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

LordSutch wrote: »

I'd be guilty of calling it Londonderry to wind up the barstoolers now and again myself, but try telling somebody in Park or Feeney they live in County Londonderry, see how you get on :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I'd be guilty of calling it Londonderry to wind up the barstoolers now and again myself, but try telling somebody in Park or Feeney they live in County Londonderry, see how you get on :p

Yes indeed, hence the point about the BBC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Derry-Londonderry is a dive. Excessively run down with nobody from police or the council wanting to enter large parts of the City.

Are you posting from the 70's or something?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

If we're to get all historical about it, it should be called County Coleraine, Desertmartin should be given back to Tyrone(if they want it) and the west bank of the Foyle should be given back to Donegal.

Except Creggan Heights and Ballymagroarty, the Brits can keep them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

road_high wrote: »
    Visited Derry on a very wet miserable September day a few years ago and to be honest I was actually taken aback about how deprived it and the people appeared. There was definitely a very working class element, id say there must be a huge proportion on disability. Struggled to find anywhere nice lunch for lunch (it was raining). Eventually had pizza on plastic trays in the shopping centre. TBH I said my own little city of Kilkenny was streets ahead in terms of being a nice place to visit.
    It's full of bookies, pawn shops, pound shops - not a great combination.
    I'd love to go back though as I feel missed a lot of it or something.

You should see Strabane (actually, don't bother!)

Seriously, yeah it is a bit deprived but I'd say not that different to some run down cities in the North of England.

Stroke city all right, the DLA is the Derry Living Allowance. People are well up on every welfare payment and how to get the most cash, but that's no different to deprived areas in Dublin etc.

Used to work as an accountant there and you'd see people getting all their welfare entitlements, Working families tax credit, housing assistance, working their 19 hours or whatever the limit was, getting another £100 or maybe 200 cash in hand. They'd be getting £400 or 500 in their hand every week, more than a good few of us working in the office.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭dinorebel

This is the worst attempt at trolling in the whole of 2016.

No Trump trumps it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Best thing about it is the walls and the siege in 1689. The rest is a dump.

Advertisement