Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playing / streaming media from Ext HDD via router.

Options
  • 14-12-2016 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭

I've recently installed a new router. It's a TP Link Archer C2 C750 dual-band Gigabit.

There's a USB slot at the back and as far as I know I should be able to plug in a hard drive or USB stick and stream movies, music, pics etc to another device. Most importantly via wifi to an android satellite combi box in another room.

I haven't a clue where to start and would appreciate a few pointers. I'm reasonably savvy with some stuff but know very little about networking bar setting up the router and connecting the laptop, phone etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Advanced - USB Sharing - Sharing Access

Pretty much plug and play.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Thanks ED.

I think I have it sorted. There was a step by step guide on their website which was written by someone with bad english or put through a translating app. It was very hard to follow. It turned out it was set up for sharing by default.

I opened VLC on a laptop. clicked on Local Network > Universal "Plug n Play" and the drive opened. I can play mp3s and AVI video files. I haven't tried the android box yet but I have VLC on that too so I assume it should be much the same.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Advertisement