Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contract expiry - do I have to give notice?

Options
  • 14-12-2016 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I couldn't find any similar situations on the site, so decided to ask for advice myself. I currently work in a retail store as a "sales assistant". My contract is a "fixed-term" contract and expires on 31st December. I was brought to our HR office earlier in the week and told that because the store is not busy in the New Year, that they will not be extending my contract further than the 31st of December. I was then given a letter stating the reason that was explained to me and the dates mentioned.

Now, I had forseen this and applied for many other jobs in the run up to December. One in particular had gotten back to me with an offer of employment starting in January. So now with another job lined up, I was wondering if I have to give notice to my current employer if I decide to leave before 31st December to spend time at home with my family (who live in another country and was denied holidays over Christmas by current employer).

Can anyone help me out. I've searched the web for answers but can't find any information regarding contracts ending and notice periods voided. Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yes,you do. You have a contract 'til 31 December.

If you want to finish much before the 28th, then don't expect to get a good reference from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,414 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Have you no holidays saved up?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I cannot imagine any retail employer approving leave at this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

The right thing to do would be to fulfill the terms of your contract.

Having said that, they don't give a crap about you and will have you replaced in a heartbeat, and you have a job lined up - quit and go see your family.

Advertisement