Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Diesel car help please

• 14-12-2016 2:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭

So now I am looking for a Big ( Estate) Car. not a SUV/Jeep style.

Criteria in order:
    Quiet
    Big
    150+hp
    €37.5k max

I dont really need toys, so bottom of the range is ok in price terms, but then you have to have the crappy bottom of the range engine too....really?

One problem is I just dont do VAG. sorry fans, but no.
    Mondeo is not doing it either.
    Insignia is hateful.

Any other suggestions gratefully considered..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭whizbang

Ahh, I was hoping nobody would mention this one... I'll explain later.!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Fireball14013

Explain now! It's the best...
    Failing that, forget estate and get the Alfa Giulia.

Mazda's SkyActiv engines are an unknown quantity when it comes to reliability but the OP's options are fairly limited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭bigroad

Kia Optima sports wagon ,but with only 141bhp engine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

Not much around new for money

All crappy little 2.0 150bhp diesels which are grand in a Focus not so much a big estate

Won't feel quick at all

I would get a year old 3.0 250bhp+ 530d/ Jag Xf/ Mercedes in UK if I was buying

Will keep less than a bland new Mazda 6 diesel too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Skoda Superb?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

BMW?
    Peugeot
    Volvo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

whizbang wrote: »

Criteria in order:
    Quiet
    Big
    150+hp
    €37.5k max

I dont really need toys, so bottom of the range is ok in price terms, but then you have to have the crappy bottom of the range engine too....really?

Insignia is hateful.

P508 SW. You'll get top-spec Allure with 2.0 HDI and EAT6 gearbox for the money.
    There is Avensis SW Sol in budget - but it is just 143 bhp.

Not really much of other options - Renault is not doing anything D-Class here. Citroen is not either...

And you have eliminated already: Skoda/Seat/VW/Audi/Ford and Opel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Skoda Superb Combi

2.0 TDI 150bhp DSG Diesel 6-speed automatic €200 Tax, - €36,295 for the Ambition trim.

2.0 TDI 150bhp 4x4 Diesel 6-speed manual €200 Tax, - €36,495 for the Ambition trim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭GavMan

Skoda Superb Combi

2.0 TDI 150bhp DSG Diesel 6-speed automatic €200 Tax, - €36,295 for the Ambition trim.

2.0 TDI 150bhp 4x4 Diesel 6-speed manual €200 Tax, - €36,495 for the Ambition trim.

No VAG's but a solid suggestion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

GavMan wrote: »
    No VAG's but a solid suggestion

I should have read the original post :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭bigroad

Volvo v60 is just over budget but maybe they might do a deal.

V60 is not really that big an estate, similar dimensions to a 3 Series Touring or A4 Avant.

Might get a good deal on a V70 now given that they have just been replaced by the V90 which is way more expensive. D4 engine would have about 190bhp and good level of torque meaning it will move no problem. Only downside is that they are fairly dated now as they have been on sale for nearly 10 years.

For example:
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Volvo/V70/D4-SE/2437610133712413763/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

my god those V70 from the outside look ancient alright!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

There is a Peugeot 508 180 bhp auto gearbox available.
    Starts at €41,000 but maybe a good discount could square it for you.

elperello wrote: »
    There is a Peugeot 508 180 bhp auto gearbox available.
    Starts at €41,000 but maybe a good discount could square it for you.

It's an awful hybrid... It would be better for the universe if it didn't exist.

You would want to be crazy spending anywhere near 37k on a Peug 508, the depreciation is huge on them in their early years. Would be better off buying a 1 or 2 year old example where they have already suffered a fair amount of depreciation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

First reply is the best suggestion for what you are looking at. I haven't seen anything to suggest the new Mazda diesels are any worse than anyone else's. Although I would forget the estate part and go for the previously mentioned Alfa Guilia if it was me..

Zurbaran wrote: »
    First reply is the best suggestion for what you are looking at. I haven't seen anything to suggest the new Mazda diesels are any worse than anyone else's. Although I would forget the estate part and go for the previously mentioned Alfa Guilia if it was me..

Just ask @R.O.R. about that...

• Advertisement

grogi wrote: »
    Just ask @R.O.R. about that...
    TBF he is the only one I've seen say negative things about them. They are only out since 2012 as well so not that much evidence either way.

Zurbaran wrote: »
    TBF he is the only one I've seen say negative things about them. They are only out since 2012 as well so not that much evidence either way.

He maybe the only one around here but he is not talking about one or two cars, he is talking about nearly everyone he has on his fleet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

thierry14 wrote: »
    Not much around new for money

All crappy little 2.0 150bhp diesels which are grand in a Focus not so much a big estate

Won't feel quick at all

I would get a year old 3.0 250bhp+ 530d/ Jag Xf/ Mercedes in UK if I was buying

Will keep less than a bland new Mazda 6 diesel too

Best of luck getting a year old 530d for €37k 😂

bazz26 wrote: »
    He maybe the only one around here but he is not talking about one or two cars, he is talking about nearly everyone he has on his fleet.
    Some how I find that hard to believe. Nearly every car but its hard to find any consistent problems with them when doing a few google search's?

I know they don't sell in massive numbers but I would still expect to find consistent flaws after some looking around.

Well it's up to you what you want to believe and not believe. I'm not here to convince you either way. I value his opinion based on his experience and I don't see what he would have to gain by exaggerating or lying. Take it onboard or pay your money and take your chances, no skin off my nose either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Fireball14013

It's all in the way you look after things. I've had direct or indirect experience with a few Mazda diesels through the years and never a problem. BMW post-2007 engines, pretty much all of them, are the only muck I won't touch, particularly the petrols. One minor issue and the car is either a 15 grand engine replacement or scrap. At least with the Japanese stuff once you fix that issue your car is fine again, even if it costs 5k to sort.
    German stuff is always just another warning (Euro!) light away from costing you more money. They might be technically the best on paper, but they're made by the cheapest bidder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

whizbang wrote: »

Criteria in order:
    Quiet
    Big
    150+hp
    €37.5k max

Insignia is hateful.

Why would you want to spend the guts of nearly 38k on a car and settle for a bog standard one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

BMW post-2007 engines, pretty much all of them, are the only muck I won't touch, particularly the petrols.

N54 ;)

The only thing useful about the N54, it gets you out of Monaghan.
    Even on a bicycle. Which is better than depending on a BMW.

Why do folk feel that a bog standard spec is not acceptable?
    Is it because the neighbour can have something better ?
    - my issue is the engine spec; why bundle? I dont want leather, but i do want the 180+

An Alfa Q would be nice..:rolleyes:.more chance of the V60:(, still stretching.
    Peug Peuk Puke.. did i spell that right?

Avensis is almost there, but just doesn't have the weight.

Anyway, to answer the question, the Mazda has been Brilliant so far. Only issue is a seized rear brake caliper. Get it serviced at 15K, drive it hard.

• Advertisement

The marketing issue here is, this sleeper should have been introduced with something like 210+Hp.
    and only afterwards had the basic 1.7 option.
    maxresdefault.jpg

Why dont we get the Hyundai Genesis? They have more than made their name here, where are all their top spec cars?
    In the 70's it was almost cool to have a cheap crap but reliable Jap (Asian) motor, but now its way past that...

Advertisement