Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whiskey - how do you drink it?

• 14-12-2016 2:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭

Do you put ice in? Coke? Or take it straight. Personally I opt for either. Whatever I'm feeling like at the time. If I'm just after the flavours I might add some ice, if I'm looking for a sharp sting I'll go neat.

What brand do you prefer? JD single barrel is my poison.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Straight with 1 cube. If it's too cold you can't taste it but the one ice cube keeps it cool. Don't mind it neat either.

I wouldn't waste it with a mixer.

I'd drink anything but my preference would be Irish Whiskey. Not a great fan of Scotch. The American ones are ok but that's it

Jesus, I'd love a whiskey right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

Straight with 1 cube. If it's too cold you can't taste it but the one ice cube keeps it cool. Don't mind it neat either.

I wouldn't waste it with a mixer.

Jesus, I'd love a whiskey right now

Depends how strong to be fair. I have the single barrel and maybe it's just me, but two cubes and Coke and I'm only getting the whiskey flavour - just not as much heat as I usually would. I'll be back in 20 minutes speaking nonsense in slurred text.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

by the bottle

Grayson wrote: »
    by the bottle

That's disgraceful carry on.

I like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

It tastes like poison.

I'll have a beer, thanks.

• Advertisement

KungPao wrote: »
    It tastes like poison.

I'll have a beer, thanks.

I can't hack the taste of beer. Whiskey has such a plethora of flavours but beer always just smells and tastes like piss to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Deep breath, pinch nose, throw it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,849 ✭✭✭buried

Jameson or Powers. Just with ice. Can't be dealing with mixers like cola defiling it, ends up tasting like sugary sockwater.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Only talking bout this in pub earlier. Drink it straight with no ice. My gf who is from Philippines has 3 uncles who would put any Irishman to shame with whiskey. They drink it like two shots in a glass and take a small sip of coke after it. Ordinary glass of coke would last the night and 4 jack Daniel bottles gone in a night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,807 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Straight, no ice. Ice and mixers are for people who don't like whiskey but want to be seen drinking it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Usually drink it neat. I might have a tiny bit - like a drop or two - of water, depending on the whiskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

I can't hack the taste of beer. Whiskey has such a plethora of flavours but beer always just smells and tastes like piss to me.
    I'm the opposite. Beer is smooth, drinkable, and hits the spot, whiskey is just like drinking nail polish remover to me.

I tried in my younger days (last orders, let's get a whiskey wahey) but it's just horrible to me.

I take it as a blessing, I only like beer...I'd end up in the Betty Ford clinic otherwise.

"The best way to drink whiskey is the way you enjoy it the most"

Source: Denartha Senior, Master Distiller.

Personally, and it depends on the whiskey, but I mostly drink Irish and I generally add water to it. A stronger tasting Bourbon, I like some ice in it. Scotch I'd add some water to as well.

I'd murder a wee dram right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

With boiling water, lemon, cloves and a bit of sugar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Stout is my tipple of choice and after 4 or 5 pints I'll take a whiskey neat on the side. I like to sip it alongside a pint, a nice mixture if you take your time.

A slow dram of Greenspot or Black Bush in between pints of Murphy's is a real treat :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

Scotch, straight up, preferably in a brandy snifter with a glass of ice water on the side.

It's an after-dinner drink for me, not a down-at-the-pub drink. For the latter I'm a Guinness guy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭HenryHill

Dont know how anyone could mix whiskey with cola, tastes rank.

Cutty sark or crested ten for me, neat

Only talking bout this in pub earlier. Drink it straight with no ice. My gf who is from Philippines has 3 uncles who would put any Irishman to shame with whiskey. They drink it like two shots in a glass and take a small sip of coke after it. Ordinary glass of coke would last the night and 4 jack Daniel bottles gone in a night

That's a better idea than mixing. Occasionally I like the sweetness hit but mixing isn't great bexuase I sometimes get bored of the Coke and just want more whiskey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Neat for me, will be bringing a bottle of Laphroaig back from Scotland after the Xmas and probably some of that Polish Absinthe from Sainsburys.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭Stigura

I'm a straight man, myself (Is it politically incorrect to say that, these days :confused:)

Jameson. Bog standard Jameson. In my glass. Sipped. It's f**king gorgeous! :D

Now; I do know a lad who's a right connoisseur. Genuinely. And he knows when and how a drop of water should be used, to do things with a given whiskey, to bring out what the Distiller would wish ye to taste.

Fine. But, bring water anywhere near My f**king Jameson? It's gonna get 'Emotional'!

Stigura wrote: »
    I'm a straight man, myself (Is it politically incorrect to say that, these days :confused:)

Jameson. Bog standard Jameson. In my glass. Sipped. It's f**king gorgeous! :D

Now; I do know a lad who's a right connoisseur. Genuinely. And he knows when and how a drop of water should be used, to do things with a given whiskey, to bring out what the Distiller would wish ye to taste.

Fine. But, bring water anywhere near My f**king Jameson? It's gonna get 'Emotional'!

PUT IT DOWN YOU HAVE HAD ENOUGH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

Hot only. Don't really like the stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Straight, no ice. Ice and mixers are for people who don't like whiskey but want to be seen drinking it.

Wow man, you're so edgy and cool!

One single big ice cube so it melts slower. Ice helps you actually taste the whiskey by taking some of the heat away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭Stigura

PUT IT DOWN YOU HAVE HAD ENOUGH

Wow! Says the man roaring and screaming at me! :eek:

Bed, my friend. Go to bed ;)

Stigura wrote: »
    Wow! Says the man roaring and screaming at me! :eek:

Bed, my friend. Go to bed ;)

I can't find it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

I like Jack Daniels and George Dickel.. With ice. Don't really like Irish and Scotch whiskey.

I like Jack Daniels and George Dickel.. With ice. Don't really like Irish and Scotch whiskey.

Had a bit of Jameson's last Christmas, not for me either tbf

*incoming attack for being to Americaniesed*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Neat usually. Sometimes I'll add a few drops of water to enjoy the flavour a bit more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Peregrinus wrote: »

Sometimes a small drop of room temperature water can bring out the flavour. But yes definitely no ice, it dulls the taste.

Edit: entropi got in just before me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Greenore, small bit of water to lessen the burn cause I can't handle many spirits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

With one cube of ice in a wide tumbler that I can put my nose into.

Knappogue castle, any vintage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭xabi

Usually with a drop of water, probably about 15 to 20 ml. Not a fan of the standard Jameson, Crested Ten is drinkable. If I'm going cheap it's Powers or splashing out I'd go Red Breast.

I'd never put ice in it though, only the devil does that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Drinking it too fast to enjoy it? Shame on them I say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Usually neat, or maybe with a few drops of water, in a Glencairn glass to capture the nose.

Ice is a bad idea, you will just have an inconsistent drink.

Lagavulin 16 in my go to whisky in this weather. Respect to the Japanese, they are putting out good whiskys at the moment, have a few Nikka's and Hibiki's on my shelf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

jester77 wrote: »
    Usually neat, or maybe with a few drops of water, in a Glencairn glass to capture the nose.

Ice is a bad idea, you will just have an inconsistent drink.

Lagavulin 16 in my go to whisky in this weather. Respect to the Japanese, they are putting out good whiskys at the moment, have a few Nikka's and Hibiki's on my shelf.

Nikka from the barrel is my first choice. Quite like peated as well, where I'll go for standard practice 10 year laphroaig. Have a bottle of lagavulin as well, but I'm not as keen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

JD is too sweet. Every other whiskey just tastes like drinking acid really. Like drinking vodka neat.

I'm sure you can grow a tolerance of it and actually start tasting differences, but I don't really see the point myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Straight. If that tastes a bit...closed (only way I can describe it) then I'll add a teaspoon of water. Never any ice or mixer. I even have a whiskey glass for it.

I really love tasting different ones and learning a bit about it.

I had a taste of a 25 year old Talisker a couple of months ago which was just superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

I can't touch the stuff. Put myself right off when I was 18. Came in after a night out, (mangled), and thought I fancied some Scotch. God only knows why.
    Found my mums bottle and put it on my head. Literally. Thankfully most of it came back up within minutes, otherwise I'd probably have finished myself off with alcohol poisoning :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Very rarely drink it - or any spirits - so in no way an expert. Generally have a bottle of Teeling around though and I'll have a neat glass every now and again.

Saying beer 'tastes like piss' just means you drink pissy beer, really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Heighway61

First I pour about an inch into a tall glass. Then I take it over to the sink and pour it down. Rinse the glass and pour in about an inch of gin and an inch of tonic and add ice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Haven't drank whiskey in about 6 years because even though I enjoyed it, it affected me way more than any other drink. But, I got a bottle as a present and had had a good week, so decided to pour myself a glass. Just a little bit of water with it.

It tasted like fire mixed with hate mixed with acid with a little dash of f*ck you.

Think I'll go back to not drinking whiskey.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

Depends.
    A good brand neat, or 1 cube of ice.

A cheaper brand, I might add a dash of orange bitters, a brandied cherry and a couple of ice cubes.

I'm also partial to a whiskey sour with Jim Bean as the spirit.

My usual Irish brands are Bushmills and Tullamore Dew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Penn wrote: »
    Haven't drank whiskey in about 6 years because even though I enjoyed it, it affected me way more than any other drink. But, I got a bottle as a present and had had a good week, so decided to pour myself a glass. Just a little bit of water with it.

It tasted like fire mixed with hate mixed with acid with a little dash of f*ck you.
    sounds like Kilbeggan, from what I've heard.

Something like a 10 year Bushmills or Green spot though are way more smooth.
    To answer the question, I drink it neat but my stock is all just 40% stuff so no need to water it down. When it gets to 50%+ then thats stuff needs to be thinned out a bit, but only ever have that in the pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

A nice Ardbeg from Speyside with a bit of water, very rarely a cube of ice, never mixed with anything else.

Something like Jack Daniels isn't particular flavoursome to begin with so wouldn't be adverse to mixing that with Fanta (sounds mad but far better pairing than Coca Cola).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

sounds like Kilbeggan, from what I've heard.

Something like a 10 year Bushmills or Green spot though are way more smooth.

Nah it was a Scotch. Can't remember the name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Greenore, small bit of water to lessen the burn cause I can't handle many spirits.

Greenore was rebranded to Kilbeggan 8 Year Old a while back and is due to be rebranded again to Kilbeggan Single Grain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

With a straw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Over the lips, past the gums, watch out stomach, here it comes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

First one straight then maybe some ice as the night wares on add some coke or ginger ale.

• Advertisement
Advertisement