Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whiskey - how do you drink it?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I like most Irish Whiskey's except for Paddy which is the Busweiser of whiskeys imo.

My favourite is Jack Daniels, usually drink it neat.

Jameson is my second favourite Whiskey, after that probably Tullamore Dew.

The most I mix is may a cube or two of ice, but would never ruin a good whiskey with a mixer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Gonzo wrote: »
    I like most Irish Whiskey's except for Paddy which is the Busweiser of whiskeys imo.

You're being overly kind to paddy's.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Joebobs

johnnie walker
    1.solid tumbler
    2. few cubes of ice
    3. slice of lime
    ..get a measuring thing...
    4..2 portons wiskey
    5. 1 portion soda water
    6. 1 porton ginger ale -the sugar kills me the next day, so just 1 portion :-)
    ...repeat ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

A good whisky should not be polluted with mixer, or diluted with water.
    If you have a stronger whisky (over 50 proof) then a drop of water to open it up ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Hot whiskey with one spoon of sugar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

How’s do I drink whisky?

With a gun to me head...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

When it comes to neat or mixer, I'm agnostic. How I really like my whiskey is in the bottle.

Happy Christmas, eh? Oh, right thanks. *re-gift sorted*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'm not a fan of American whiskey, tend to drink those with coke. Jameson is my whiskey of choice, drink it neat or warm with cloves and honey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

A few sips of Tullamore Dew along with a few pints of Murphy's, please!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

I like an Irish coffee or a hot whiskey if its a bog standard whiskey like Paddy or regular Jameson.

I got a present of a bottle of Bushmills 18 year old limited edition last Christmas and it was like liquid gold. You would destroy it by drinking it with water or any mixer. I would take a mouthful every now and then just to swirl around in my mouth, such a taste sensation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

I like my whiskey like I like my women.

18 years old and smelling of whiskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Joebobs

Is this a bridge too far for this thread?
    What do you eat that fits whiskey best?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Joebobs wrote: »
    Is this a bridge too far for this thread?

See my previous answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Neat. And by the bucketful.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

At about 20%. I just find you can taste more with the reduced ethanol and it's more enjoyable. I'd usually have one or two after a few pints, sometimes just with a small ice cube instead of water.

I cannot do full nights of whiskey anymore.

Edit: Absolutely love the smell, so I spend a lot of my time looking weird in the pub taking it all in on the nose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Joebobs wrote: »

4 a.m. Christmas morning there's nothing nicer than a plate of warm Ham, a mince pie, a slice of pizza, a couple of chocolate kimberly's and half a mug of whiskey with a little water.....don't knock it 'til you try it ! ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Lashed into a mug of coffee when I feel a cold coming on. Somebody gave me a good bottle as a present some years ago and caught me doing that with it...:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Straight with 1 cube. If it's too cold you can't taste it but the one ice cube keeps it cool. Don't mind it neat either.

I wouldn't waste it with a mixer.

I'd drink anything but my preference would be Irish Whiskey. Not a great fan of Scotch. The American ones are ok but that's it

Jesus, I'd love a whiskey right now

This guy knows the score. If I free pour a large green spot and offer a single cube or a drop of water to a guest and that guest asks if I have a splash of coke that guest wouldn't be a guest again. I'm a big fan of bourbons and ryes, Woodford Reserve is a particular favourite. When I'm drinking that I double decant what I plan to consume into the previous bottle and store in the freezer, then sip it neat with no ice. In pubs, I usually stick to beer but on the rare occasions I do it's JD/Canadian club and Coke or Wild Turkey on the rocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I used to use a nice Irish to water down my poteen. Was top totty poteen too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

With my mouth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I use freezable whiskey stones. The only way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,253 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

i have only tried it a few times and wasn't gone on it. however, maybe it was a not so good brand of it, i don't know.
    it's likely one of those drinks that if you don't like it when tried you won't like it full stop?

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

ED E wrote: »
    I use freezable whiskey stones. The only way.

I was given some of them for Christmas last year, but I've never used them and nor will I because I like my whiskey neat and at room temperature. Imo it loses at lot of its smell and taste if you cool it. That said, the best way to drink whiskey is however the hell you want to drink it, as long as you don't dilute it with so much mixer that it becomes unrecognisable as whiskey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Zaph wrote: »
    I was given some of them for Christmas last year, but I've never used them and nor will I because I like my whiskey neat and at room temperature. Imo it loses at lot of its smell and taste if you cool it. That said, the best way to drink whiskey is however the hell you want to drink it, as long as you don't dilute it with so much mixer that it becomes unrecognisable as whiskey.

Good vodka I'd follow your method, but I prefer to mellow whiskey out just a tad by cooling.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

ED E wrote: »
    Good vodka I'd follow your method, but I prefer to mellow whiskey out just a tad by cooling.

The only time I'd ever really mellow whiskey is if it's very peaty or a bit harsh, then I'll add the tiniest drop of water to it. It's amazing the difference less than a teaspoon of water can make to some whiskies.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Arghus wrote: »
    With my mouth.

I'm drinking my whiskey, Kate.
    Zaph wrote: »
    The only time I'd ever really mellow whiskey is if it's very peaty or a bit harsh, then I'll add the tiniest drop of water to it. It's amazing the difference less than a teaspoon of water can make to some whiskies.
    I think peated whiskeys might be my favourite. Lagavulin and Laphroaig are class anyway. But I'm still quite new to the world of whiskey/whisky, admittedly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Hot is the only way I like it. And even then I'm not keen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I don't. Not my cup of tea.

Advertisement