Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So how about that 30kph limit in Dublin

Options
  • 14-12-2016 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭

I for one will look forward to it, especially during busy periods on the roads leading to the quays, just provides that extra layer of protection.

That being said i got beeped doing 32kph on a 30kph section of the quays when i took the lane, maybe he noticed i was speeding :p

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

jon1981 wrote: »
    I for one will look forward to it, especially during busy periods on the roads leading to the quays, just provides that extra layer of protection.

That being said i got beeped doing 32kph on a 30kph section of the quays when i took the lane, maybe he noticed i was speeding :p

You are looking forward to in busy periods? When the average speed is probably considerable less?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

godtabh wrote: »
    You are looking forward to in buys periods? When the average speed is probably considerable less?

Not always less...im not talking about bumper to bumper busy but more busy and flowing ..
    The south quays is always busy in the morning but traffic will move at much higher speeds above 30kph

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

jon1981 wrote: »
    Not always less...im not talking about bumper to bumper busy but more busy and flowing ..
    The south quays is always busy in the morning but traffic will move at much higher speeds above 30kph

Even though that is already a 30kph zone?

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Even though that is already a 30kph zone?

Not all of it, stops being 30kph when you hit Essex quay ... so you're coming through a narrow junction from Welllington quay (which is 30kph) and then suddenly the cars start picking up speed as they are allowed to do... when it's 30kph at Essex Quay it removes this sudden surge in speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

IMO it will make feck all difference!
    Why? Because it won't be ENFORCED!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

There is a lot of outrage about the 30kph limit and the plan to extend it to small residential streets near Dublin City Centre. I think people have a fundamental misunderstanding of how traffic flows in the city. It doesn't matter what the speed limit is, you can't avoid getting stuck at the next red light or queue of stopped cars. The time that you are stuck will nullify your extra speed. So speeding up or slowing down doesn't effect your journey in these areas. Going a bit slower just creates a safer more pleasant environment for everyone else, but who would want *that*?

The only way to go any faster is to be able to go to the front of any queue stuck in a jam or at a red. How do you achieve this feat of wizardry? I don't have the answers, but maybe some of the witches and warlocks on here may have some suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

check_six wrote: »
    There is a lot of outrage about the 30kph limit and the plan to extend it to small residential streets near Dublin City Centre. I think people have a fundamental misunderstanding of how traffic flows in the city. It doesn't matter what the speed limit is, you can't avoid getting stuck at the next red light or queue of stopped cars. The time that you are stuck will nullify your extra speed. So speeding up or slowing down doesn't effect your journey in these areas. Going a bit slower just creates a safer more pleasant environment for everyone else, but who would want *that*?

The only way to go any faster is to be able to go to the front of any queue stuck in a jam or at a red. How do you achieve this feat of wizardry? I don't have the answers, but maybe some of the witches and warlocks on here may have some suggestions?

That's easy... don't drive in the city, ride a bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

07Lapierre wrote: »
    That's easy... don't drive in the city, ride a bike!

Ping! Yes! I may accept that answer!

Now for a more challenging question that is open to both teams:

How many is three?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Now for a more challenging question that is open to both teams:

How many is three?

Three is the collection of all sets with three elements.

Maybe that's more "what is three".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Three is the collection of all sets with three elements.

Maybe that's more "what is three".

There's way more than three sets with three elements... (May be thinking of the set of sets that contain don't contain themselves)

Realistically the only time traffic on the quays goes under 30 is when traffic prevents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

30kph is ignored on the quays currently, so this new extended area will be ignored by motorists as well.

The only way this will change is if there's either speed cameras (average speed cameras for example that issue automatic fines) or Garda on permanent duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

07Lapierre wrote: »
    IMO it will make feck all difference!
    Why? Because it won't be ENFORCED!

I couldn't agree with you more! laws without enforcement are pointless and a waste of time/money!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

What's the point? Nobody enforces it. I cycle down the quays going to work. One morning I was in the bus lane passing cyclists in the bike lane and a taxi driver nearly knocked me off to pass me, I was doing 35kph and purposely not leaving room to pass. Caught up to him at the red light (obviously) and told him to not pass me illegally and informed him of the speed limit, he tried getting smart and said "so you're speeding too then?" to which I informed him the speed limit only applies to mechanically propelled vehicles. You'd think he'd know this being a professional driver and I'm just a cyclist who has the courtesy to read up on the law to use the roads safely and legally.

But you're right, do 32kph in the bus lane and you'll be lucky if a horn is all you hear. Once the bike lanes end I take the lane at 35kph and have still had taxis push past me. It's worse when private vehicles pass me in the bus lane only sections. 3 bloody offences at 8 in the morning. You're going to a red light anyway!!!

What we need is undercover Gardai cycling the area. Anyone passes them within inches or beeps the horn to bully them, pull them over. It's absolutely ridiculous.

We need speed cameras and red light cameras. Fines and points. F the lot of them, driving is a privilege not a right. It's also not that bloody hard.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

re enforcement; i've heard a theory that even if it's not enforced, it'll slow traffic down.
    i.e. the sort of people happy to do 60 in a 50 zone may be happy to do 45 in a 30 zone. so yes, they're still breaking the law, but the change in limits has resulted in a reduction in average speeds, regardless of enforcement.
    in the - hypothetical - situation i've described, it would result in a significant reduction in braking distances.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭damon5

So whats the word with buses and taxis,do they have to adhere to these lesser speeds in the bus lanes,bus lanes were put in for a reason this is all mind bogling..

damon5 wrote: »
    So whats the word with buses and taxis,do they have to adhere to these lesser speeds in the bus lanes,bus lanes were put in for a reason this is all mind bogling..

I should hope so given that's where we cycle most of the time or what is the point :D

I haven't seen any provision to allow buses or taxis have an alternative speed limit so at this point it looks like they will have to abide by the 30km limit when implemented. I would imagine that buses will be slower and taxis more expensive as a result but sure thats the collateral effects of safety before sense.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

How often are busses realistically going to need to go above 30 kmph in these areas. They have to stop stop so frequently anyway for passengers and lights that it may very well be negligible. Taxis are a law onto themselves IMO so who knows about that

Weepsie wrote: »
    How often are busses realistically going to need to go above 30 kmph in these areas. They have to stop stop so frequently anyway for passengers and lights that it may very well be negligible.

Buses do over 30km quite a lot. In the grand scheme of things, even though a bus will make multiple stops at bus stops and traffic lights, if they are limited to travel at 30km then their overall average speed is reduced meaning it will take them longer to complete their entire route.
    Weepsie wrote: »
    Taxis are a law onto themselves IMO so who knows about that

In my view, taxis will travel at the bare minimum (25km-28km) when carrying fares as they will have the excuse of a 30km limit. I was in a taxi last year on the way to the airport and was late for a flight. The taxi was doing roughly 40km-45km in a 50km zone. I asked him to speed up because i was late and he replied "i'm doing the right speed...the limit is a limit...not a target":mad:

I nearly flipped but managed to keep cool :cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i can't imagine if a bus is travelling through a suburban housing estate it's going to be racing around anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,850 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

30kph city speed limit is meaningless without measures such as lane narrowing, traffic islands, speed ramps , chicanes etc......

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    30kph city speed limit is meaningless without measures such as lane narrowing, traffic islands, speed ramps , chicanes etc......

€'s €'s and more €'s

Roadhawk wrote: »
    In my view, taxis will travel at the bare minimum (25km-28km) when carrying fares as they will have the excuse of a 30km limit. I was in a taxi last year on the way to the airport and was late for a flight. The taxi was doing roughly 40km-45km in a 50km zone. I asked him to speed up because i was late and he replied "i'm doing the right speed...the limit is a limit...not a target":mad:

I nearly flipped but managed to keep cool :cool:

That was big of you, however, would you have paid the drivers €80 fine, and taken the 3 penalty points on your licence should he of been caught, just because of your lack of planning to turn up to the airport on time? :confused:

Roadhawk wrote: »
    Buses do over 30km quite a lot. In the grand scheme of things, even though a bus will make multiple stops at bus stops and traffic lights, if they are limited to travel at 30km then their overall average speed is reduced meaning it will take them longer to complete their entire route

Buses within the core city centre routes rarely reach never mind exceed 30kph so the impact will be minimal.. Only in Suburban areas do they touch on higher speeds..

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    That was big of you, however, would you have paid the drivers €80 fine, and taken the 3 penalty points on your licence should he of been caught, just because of your lack of planning to turn up to the airport on time? :confused:

That was how i became calm. I understood that it was my fault the taxi was late collecting me and that i should have drove myself. Lesson learned. ;)

just going by the buses available to me (i live near DCU) - the 4, 9, 11, and 13; to get into town, the only section i can think of which might be affected in future is the 11's run down home farm road; the sections the 11 and the 9 would use further out northside from me are sections which are narrow housing estate roads, and are roads on which you would want a 12 ton bus maintaining a sensible speed on. many of them have speed ramps already anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Or maybe have the traffic lights work correctly like other european countries etc

Advertisement