Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rapha Festive 500 Challenge.

Options
  • 14-12-2016 10:06am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anybody entered this?

Strava.

Have entered, weather dependant (as long as it's not raging gales etc) I'll give it a crack.

500k. Start 24th. December.
    End 31st. December.
    8 days.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I'm in for it. Will be the longest I've ever cycled in a week mind

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I managed a whole 45km for the 2015 challenge. I'll try again this year, hopefully I can beat last year's effort :D

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

ive got about 750km to go to make the 10k mark by the end of the month so ill be giving the k's some welly, not the best weather for it at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Entered but not expecting to get to 500 tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Good luck all. I would be divorced if I attempted this.

Need a week off the bike doing nothing. I can't even look at the Turbo and my commute this week has been a chore. dragratchet tearing the legs off me last Saturday didn't help.

• Advertisement

Just an idea for those who are doing this. I'm sure most here are aware of the SSF? How about we donate ten cent for every KM we manage over this. For example, manage the full 500km, donate €50, manage 100km, donate €10 and so on?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Was hoping to get a run in on 24th. to start but the lads over in weather are now predicting storms over that period.
    Not good at all.
    :(

Planet X wrote: »
    Was hoping to get a run in on 24th. to start but the lads over in weather are now predicting storms over that period.
    Not good at all.
    :(

Well that's not ideal. I'm meant to be going out to the folks with a bit of a detour through NCD :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

P_1 wrote: »
    Just an idea for those who are doing this. I'm sure most here are aware of the SSF? How about we donate ten cent for every KM we manage over this. For example, manage the full 500km, donate €50, manage 100km, donate €10 and so on?

Reverse that for added incentive. Donate 10 cent for every km short of 500 you are...

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Steve SilverMint

Good luck with that lads

It would be difficult enough to do that challenge under normal circumstances, but trying to do it over the the Christmas period would be impossible for most.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

It can be done on zwift right?
    Mind numbing but safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

tuxy wrote: »
    It can be done on zwift right?
    Mind numbing but safe.

No, trainer/virtual rides don't count, you've got to get out in the great outdoors to do this one

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

daragh_ wrote: »
    Good luck all. I would be divorced if I attempted this.....
    Same here! As well as Christmas, I have my daughter's birthday and our wedding anniversary within the challenge time frame (...and 5 days at work).
    ....It would be difficult enough to do that challenge under normal circumstances, but trying to do it over the the Christmas period would be impossible for most.
    I'd disagree. Many people don't have to go to work during that period and will be bored stiff hanging around watching TV and eating crap.

Our before it begins. Broken thumb. No bike for at least a month :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

I'm in

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

I'm in, its the only proper challenge Strava run and a lot depends on your circumstances. In this country it can be a lottery with the weather but it doesn't look too bad at the moment, definitely preferable to spending days on a couch watching TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Joined, not a hope of completing it tbh but I'll get 250k in I'd say.

Tray of flapjacks in the oven just now.
    In the morning either a 120 to Allenwood or a 150 to Monasterevin.
    Ah......the best laid plans etc.....
    Wind easing a bit, no, not me.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

I'm in. Will be a miracle if I complete given my lack of bike hours this year- planning a similar direction to you tomorrow planet x,might see you on the road!

I'll make a start in the morning and see how it goes..

Planet X wrote: »
    Tray of flapjacks in the oven just now.
    In the morning either a 120 to Allenwood or a 150 to Monasterevin.
    Ah......the best laid plans etc.....
    Wind easing a bit, no, not me.
    colm18 wrote: »
    I'm in. Will be a miracle if I complete given my lack of bike hours this year- planning a similar direction to you tomorrow planet x,might see you on the road!

A few of us from the club in Kildare doing an extended coffee spin in the morning, will be coming back from the Stradbally/Portlaoise direction through Monasterevin, I'll keep an eye out for you lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

I'll give it a go .

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

Ok, day 1 for me, https://www.strava.com/activities/810231416

But really you have to look at the two Aussies who have it completed already, by riding laps of a 1.4km crit loop...

https://www.strava.com/activities/809962272/overview

Zwift would probably be less boring than that...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I don't do Strava, but going to try for the 500.
    I did 60k this morning, and going to try for another 60 tomorrow morning, then 90 on Monday and take it from there..

115k down around Kildare,
    https://www.strava.com/activities/810330800

Not much respite from the wind except coming down from Saggart, through Tallaght and in to Walkinstown, ....wind tunnel, superb. Big ringer.

Had loaded a 150 to Monasterevin but pulled the plug thinking that I'd get caught out with sundown, even with the "There's a grand stretch in da evenins"

Santa has my B & M front light in his sack. My new dyno wheel has been sitting in the garage for weeks now.

Nice day for it. Dry and a bit of sun.

Beer!!!!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

60k this afternoon..easing myself in :-P https://www.strava.com/activities/810339484

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I managed a whole 45km for the 2015 challenge. I'll try again this year, hopefully I can beat last year's effort :D
    97km this morning. Suck it last year me!

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Managed a mere 40 km and should manage similar tomorrow morning. Will try for a bigger spin on Monday and Tuesday then its back to work on Wednesday. Id usually drive in for the days between christmas and new years but gonna stick to the bike this year. Would be fairly chuffed to hit between 350 & 400 in total. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭JOHN_70

90K here...good first day...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

day 2 , 73Km,
    sailed into the PP where i thought i'd do a handy few laps, that notion was well and truly banished after my first pass through the chesterfield wind tunnel
    very bloweee out there
    time for dinner..:)

Advertisement