Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I ask my housemate to leave?

Options
  • 14-12-2016 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi,
    So I am currently renting a 3 bed an apartment in Belfast - I've been living here for coming 5 years now. Its a 3 bed amd each of us have separate contracts with the estate agent for a 1 year lease. I have always sourced the other 2 people when someone moved out but the fella who moved in this year has been a bit of a nightmare to live with; he is very untidy and has a very heavy snoring issue (which he chose to not make us aware of before we let him move in). I've been nice to him all year hoping he would get it sorted, but if anything, its gotten worse and I am loosing a lot of sleep because of it. 
    Basically the lease is up now in February and I want to get someone else to replace him - where do I stand? He has quite a lot of stuff and odds are he doesnt want to look for somewhere else but both myself and my mate can no longer live with him. If I explain to the estate agent and offer to source another person would this be ok or where would we stand if he refuses to move out and says he wants to sign another year contract??
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Would you not have a chat with him first? Maybe he has no idea he snores so loudly and some people need a kick up the a*** when it comes to cleaning and tidying up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

I would presume Northern Irish legislation is quite different to the republics...hard to say anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Legally he is a tenant same as you. You would have to voice your concerns to the landlord or estate agency as proxy and they may not be too concerned about snoring. I'm not sure about the legal issues relating to kicking a person out because of a sinus issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭pf85

Yes I've had a couple discussions with him about it and he admits that he should have told us about it prior to moving in. Ive been very nice to him about it all but he hasn't done a single thing about it and the untidyness and lack of willing to clean the apartment at any stage even when he is asked is also an issue. Im not looking to kick him out im looking to get a new person in when the lease is up in February

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Steodonn

pf85 wrote: »
    Yes I've had a couple discussions with him about it and he admits that he should have told us about it prior to moving in. Ive been very nice to him about it all but he hasn't done a single thing about it and the untidyness and lack of willing to clean the apartment at any stage even when he is asked is also an issue. Im not looking to kick him out im looking to get a new person in when the lease is up in February

If him and the landlord want to resign theres noting you can really do about it, its a contract between him and the landlord. You gotta convince one of them all you can do is complain to the landlord or not renew your own lease ( Id say the landlord would rather you if your sourcing people and been their awhile but you'll obviously know better )

• Advertisement

Steodonn wrote: »
    pf85 wrote: »

If him and the landlord want to resign theres noting you can really do about it, its a contract between him and the landlord. You gotta convince one of them all you can do is complain to the landlord or not renew your own lease ( Id say the landlord would rather you if your sourcing people and been their awhile but you'll obviously know better )

Im going to get onto the landlord tomorrow and see if they agree to me sourcing someone else again. The joys of renting I suppose! This is the first person I've ever had issues with in over 10 years of renting

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

pf85 wrote:
    Im going to get onto the landlord tomorrow and see if they agree to me sourcing someone else again. The joys of renting I suppose! This is the first person I've ever had issues with in over 10 years of renting

Nothing stopping you from moving out yourself and getting your own place.
    Or buy a house,if you handle this the wrong way it could backfire on you.

I grew up near an international airport,and I slept through the Concorde,and plenty of refueling high powered jet's

Your hearing might be a bit sensitive

pf85 wrote:

Nothing stopping you from moving out yourself and getting your own place.
    Or buy a house,if you handle this the wrong way it could backfire on you.

I grew up near an international airport,and I slept through the Concorde,and plenty of refueling high powered jet's

Your hearing might be a bit sensitive

I one lived in a sturent house with 6 other lads and was able to sleep through all sorts so my hearing is far from sensitive Im not exaggerating how loud the snoring is. My mate sleeps at the other side of the apartment and he can hear it at times

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Whatever about the untidiness, what exactly do you expect him to do about the snoring? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Eimee90

Zaph wrote:
    Whatever about the untidiness, what exactly do you expect him to do about the snoring?

Exactly, i think this is your biggest problem and concern and tbh could land you in hot water. As for getting him out when the lease is up. I find that sneaky. I hope he doesn't discover your reasons for this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You have tried to resolve this domestically. It sounds like it is up to the landlord and agent. You can tell the agent that you don't want the person to continue living there. The agent either deals with it or they don't.

elsa21 wrote: »
    Zaph wrote:
    Whatever about the untidiness, what exactly do you expect him to do about the snoring?

Exactly, i think this is your biggest problem and concern and tbh could land you in hot water. As for getting him out when the lease is up. I find that sneaky.  I hope he doesn't discover your reasons for this
    There is nothing sneaky about any of it - I have openly discussed the issues with him and he has not done anything about either of them. He has been here nearly one year now and has never even once cleaned the place. I've brought him out for nights out with my mates to try make him fit in and maybe communicate more with us but that didnt happen. He will have a very good idea that I'm not exactly over the moon about not being able to get a good nights sleep at least 3 or 4 nights a week but I want to find out where I stand more from a legal view before I make any decision

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

Zaph wrote: »
    Whatever about the untidiness, what exactly do you expect him to do about the snoring? :confused:

Live alone, constant noise like that even if there is nothing he can do to stop it is not acceptable in a houseshare.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Snoring strips?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

There's always the "bag him up and sling him out" method:

....... wrote: »

What do you expect him to do about the snoring? Seriously?[/quote]
    There are a number of things out there to help with snoring these days he could at least try some of them. I've let him know that its keeping me up at night and im loosing a lot of sleep over it, I'd like to think that he would have made an effort to try address it - even it it didnt work then fair enough at least he would have showed some respect to the situation he has put me in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

You cant do sh!t except have a word with him.

You are a tenant just like him, not his boss.

This was something that really stuck in my craw when I was sharing, some lad who lived in the apartment for years thought he was king of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

....... wrote: »
    Do a sleep study. I went from been heard snoring three floors up, to no snoring at all with the help of a CPAP machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

the_syco wrote: »
    Do a sleep study. I went from been heard snoring three floors up, to no snoring at all with the help of a CPAP machine.

If his snoring is that bad he should see a doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

bisset wrote: »
    If his snoring is that bad he should see a doctor.
    A doctor may either refer him to a sleep study, or be of no help at all. My 3rd doctor suggested the sleep study. Previous doctors (over the course of a few years) suggested lifestyle changes that didn't do anything.

Days after the sleep study the hospital that I did the sleep study at came back with the solution, and gave my details (with my consent) to a CPAP company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

This is not a snoring forum! OP as has already been pointed out, we can't give advice re tenancies to you given the different legal durisdictions. As for the etiquette of kicking someone out, talk to them first and give them a chance to change.

Advertisement