Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a primer that may prevent foundation from seeping into lines

Options
  • 14-12-2016 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Just wondering if anybody could recommend a good primer for me? My skin is pretty normal and I would wear full coverage foundation when going out, usually Mac Prolongwear or Doublewear. The foundation looks lovely initially but I find it seeps into the few lines I have in my forehead and makes them look a lot worse. I'm 29 and I wouldn't consider myself as ageing badly or anything and when I'm not wearing makeup I wouldn't really have many lines on my forehead. Just these kind of foundations seem to sit in the lines I do have and age me about 10 years. Will a good primer help this or is it just a matter of putting up with the foundation seeping into lines or is there something that can help this in any way?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

You probably want a pore filing primer; benefit Porefesstional, smash box photo ready and Maybelline Baby skin should all work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

This may not be a popular opinion, but really botox is the ultimate solution. People think you have to end up looking like a Real Housewife with a frozen face but the reality is that if its done well its not noticeable at all, and if you treat the areas before wrinkles get deep set then other people won't notice either. I can still move my eyebrows and make facial expressions, but I just can't do a really deep set frown (I previously had a bit of a bitchy resting face issue, which is also much reduced)

I've been getting it for about 2 years (I'm 30 now, nearly 31) and no one has ever noticed. Not my OH, my parents, colleagues - I was a bit nervous at first but totally got away with it. I was actually asked to produce my drivers license going into a bar a few weeks ago. Now I don't for a moment think I look actually underage but I'm a bit of a skincare junkie and its nice to think that some of my efforts are working!

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

This may not be a popular opinion, but really botox is the ultimate solution. People think you have to end up looking like a Real Housewife with a frozen face but the reality is that if its done well its not noticeable at all, and if you treat the areas before wrinkles get deep set then other people won't notice either. I can still move my eyebrows and make facial expressions, but I just can't do a really deep set frown (I previously had a bit of a bitchy resting face issue, which is also much reduced)

I've been getting it for about 2 years (I'm 30 now, nearly 31) and no one has ever noticed. Not my OH, my parents, colleagues - I was a bit nervous at first but totally got away with it. I was actually asked to produce my drivers license going into a bar a few weeks ago. Now I don't for a moment think I look actually underage but I'm a bit of a skincare junkie and its nice to think that some of my efforts are working!

I got botox once and found it brilliant loved it. I have a few lines from the way I sleep and one tiny frown line just one in the centre of my forehead between my eyes I hate it. I was wondering about fillers getting thsee little lines filled. Have you tried this ?

sadie1502 wrote: »

I got botox once and found it brilliant loved it. I have a few lines from the way I sleep and one tiny frown line just one in the centre of my forehead between my eyes I hate it. I was wondering about fillers getting thsee little lines filled. Have you tried this ?

As far as I know, fillers can be used for lines around your mouth or to replace volume on your cheeks due to aging, so I've not looked into it much as it won't be an issue for at least another 10 years. Botox is best for any forehead lines or crows feet.
    Also if you're getting lines from how you sleep, you should try using silk pillowcases!

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

I don't have crows feet just one small frown line and the mark frI'm sleeping will definitely try silk pillows

• Advertisement

Just Botox so, fillers aren't really for the forehead area because they are for replacing lost volume, but Botox is a muscle relaxant so it smoothes out the lines.

I sleep on my face too, silk pillow cases really help IMO and prevention is obviously better than Botox!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Just Botox so, fillers aren't really for the forehead area because they are for replacing lost volume, but Botox is a muscle relaxant so it smoothes out the lines.

I sleep on my face too, silk pillow cases really help IMO and prevention is obviously better than Botox!

Do you mind me asking where you got it done? I'm seriously considering this at the moment for a particularly deep set frown line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Shinbin223 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Just wondering if anybody could recommend a good primer for me? My skin is pretty normal and I would wear full coverage foundation when going out, usually Mac Prolongwear or Doublewear. The foundation looks lovely initially but I find it seeps into the few lines I have in my forehead and makes them look a lot worse. I'm 29 and I wouldn't consider myself as ageing badly or anything and when I'm not wearing makeup I wouldn't really have many lines on my forehead. Just these kind of foundations seem to sit in the lines I do have and age me about 10 years. Will a good primer help this or is it just a matter of putting up with the foundation seeping into lines or is there something that can help this in any way?
    Thanks.
    How do you apply your foundation? I'm the same age as you with similar lines and know what you mean about when it settles! I apply foundation and buff with a brush on all other areas of my face first, then go back to do forehead with what's left on the brush.... so basically applying only a very light layer and then very lightly dusting with powder. Also if you use moisturiser make sure it's had a few minutes to absorb as the oils can cause foundation to break down and settle in the lines and make them appear worse than they are. I actually watched a tutorial on YouTube last week where this was discussed but I can't for the life me remember who it was!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

I actually find some foundations do this more then others. I find inglot HD highlights any lines I have on my face. I am now using Bobbi Brown which I love and it does not sink in.

• Advertisement

....... wrote: »

From what I've seen, the pillowy look is more typically a result of facial fillers rather than botox. Sometimes people get confused between the different injectables, but they work differently. I totally get the look youre talking about, but I think theres more to the tale than just Botox if thats the result.

The way I think about it is that I'm not trying to look drastically younger or anything, but say for example the vertical frown line that can happen between your eyes when you concentrate was beginning to be there even when I wasnt frowning or concentrating, and that had the potential to make me look more stern than I actually am, as well as being aging of course. I don't look very different at all, just my muscles arent able to make that one particular expression, and therefore the skin in that area has relaxed and the line is no longer visable. I'm all about subtle changes :)

What I would say is that like with any costmetic treatment, you're obviously dependant on getting someone good, who you trust not only to administer botox in the first instance, but to advise you on what to do next. Mine is done by a friend so obviously she's fairly frank with me. The interval between 1st and 2nd treatment is typically 6months, but overtime it seems to last longer. I last had some in April, and probably won't get it topped up until Jan. Perhaps more unscrupulous places would encourage people to stick to the 6 month schedule so that they get repeat business, or maybe upsell to other treatments like facial fillers in addition to botox. I've seen plenty of examples of it done well, where the only reason I know the person has botox is because I've been told. You then have cases like the girls from Towie where its very obvious, IMO this is from either the client demanding more or the practitioner pushing more.

One thing to note about getting botox too early, I've heard as it paralysis the muscels in your face in the long term you'll lose your facial muscel tone, I know for myself that would mean I'd lose my smile which would be too much for me. The warning is specifically for starting botox too young as it will take a while for the muscle tone to fade bit once it's gone it'll be hard to get back; think Cher and her cheek implants :o

I'm 30 and get ID'd regularly, I have some fine lines but I moisturise like Mo-Fo and it's not really noticeable.

GingerLily wrote: »
    One thing to note about getting botox too early, I've heard as it paralysis the muscels in your face in the long term you'll lose your facial muscel tone, I know for myself that would mean I'd lose my smile which would be too much for me. The warning is specifically for starting botox too young as it will take a while for the muscle tone to fade bit once it's gone it'll be hard to get back; think Cher and her cheek implants :o

I'm 30 and get ID'd regularly, I have some fine lines but I moisturise like Mo-Fo and it's not really noticeable.

Botox is only used in 3 zones on the face, none of which are near the mouth, so I don't understand the comment about risking losing your smile?!? The three zones are horizontal lines on the forehead, vertical line/s between eyebrows, and then crows feet.

Anything anywhere else in the face is some other product, of which there are a variety of options available. FWIW, although I've had a good experience with botox, I wouldnt go near facial fillers and certainly not at my age. When I'm 45 I may well reevaluate, but really fillers are for a much older demographic/those aiming to look like chipmunks.

I'm also a bit of a skincare junkie, and don't think botox is some magic cure. If you neglect your skin otherwise, but just get botox, I can't imagine that would lead to a very natural result. I get microderm done maybe 3/4 times a year, as well as glycolic peels. I use mostly Image skincare products that have been recommended for my skin type. I also drink a tonne of water every day. Between everything, I hope the years will be kind!

Botox is only used in 3 zones on the face, none of which are near the mouth, so I don't understand the comment about risking losing your smile?!? The three zones are horizontal lines on the forehead, vertical line/s between eyebrows, and then crows feet.

Anything anywhere else in the face is some other product, of which there are a variety of options available. FWIW, although I've had a good experience with botox, I wouldnt go near facial fillers and certainly not at my age. When I'm 45 I may well reevaluate, but really fillers are for a much older demographic/those aiming to look like chipmunks.

I'm also a bit of a skincare junkie, and don't think botox is some magic cure. If you neglect your skin otherwise, but just get botox, I can't imagine that would lead to a very natural result. I get microderm done maybe 3/4 times a year, as well as glycolic peels. I use mostly Image skincare products that have been recommended for my skin type. I also drink a tonne of water every day. Between everything, I hope the years will be kind!

But it affects your ability to move your face, which eventually could take its toll.

There are pros and cons with botox, it's great that it's working for you so far but your VERY young still and you don't know how it will affect you long term. Hopefully it works out for you but I would be very wary of suggesting anyone gets it so young without full consideration of the consequences.

But it affects your ability to move your face, which eventually could take its toll.

There are pros and cons with botox, it's great that it's working for you so far but your VERY young still and you don't know how it will affect you long term. Hopefully it works out for you but I would be very wary of suggesting anyone gets it so young without full consideration of the consequences.

Botox has been around since the 80's at least so in my view the evidence to support it as a safe treatment is strong since its been around for so long without any major issues. Obviously people should do their own research and act accordingly, but in my experience its been positive. I'm now doing my treatments 9 months apart and using the bare minimum. The last thing I want is to be frozen, I'm just doing enough to prevent certain lines from becoming deep set.

I can still move my forehead (just less than before) and can still make facial expressions. I've only had treatment in the two forehead zones as I don't have crowsfeet, but I don't believe my smile looks any different than before.

Botox has been around since the 80's at least so in my view the evidence to support it as a safe treatment is strong since its been around for so long without any major issues. Obviously people should do their own research and act accordingly, but in my experience its been positive. I'm now doing my treatments 9 months apart and using the bare minimum. The last thing I want is to be frozen, I'm just doing enough to prevent certain lines from becoming deep set.

I can still move my forehead (just less than before) and can still make facial expressions. I've only had treatment in the two forehead zones as I don't have crowsfeet, but I don't believe my smile looks any different than before.

I think your missing the point of "long term affects".

I think your missing the point of "long term affects".

OK firstly no need to be rude, no one is forcing you to get anything done, so I don't see the need for attitude.

Secondly, 40+ years is as long term as we have data on any cosmetic treatments. That's enough to convince me that its safe enough and that the benefits are positive on the whole. If it turns out to be wrong, well I'll deal with that too, but I'm unconvinced that you know more than the medical professionals who offer such treatments.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

mohawk wrote: »
    I actually find some foundations do this more then others. I find inglot HD highlights any lines I have on my face. I am now using Bobbi Brown which I love and it does not sink in.

I also find this to be true. Some really sink into my lines while others dont at all. This is all with the same primer. Maybe your skin is changing with age and also the weather. Time to get a few samples and see if you can find one that does not sink as much. I bought my mid 60`s mother Bourjois health mix serum foundation and that does not sink at all. I have 40`s skin and am using a tinted gel at the moment from Bare Minerals which is lovely.

OK firstly no need to be rude, no one is forcing you to get anything done, so I don't see the need for attitude.

Secondly, 40+ years is as long term as we have data on any cosmetic treatments. That's enough to convince me that its safe enough and that the benefits are positive on the whole. If it turns out to be wrong, well I'll deal with that too, but I'm unconvinced that you know more than the medical professionals who offer such treatments.

There really is no reason to take it so personally, I've not critised your choice once to have botox, I think your responses are unnecessarily catty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

flikflak wrote: »
    I also find this to be true. Some really sink into my lines while others dont at all. This is all with the same primer. Maybe your skin is changing with age and also the weather. Time to get a few samples and see if you can find one that does not sink as much. I bought my mid 60`s mother Bourjois health mix serum foundation and that does not sink at all. I have 40`s skin and am using a tinted gel at the moment from Bare Minerals which is lovely.

Agree with this, try different primers and foundations until you find what suits you.
    I used a Lancome sample recently that sank into lines I didn't know I had!!

• Advertisement

There really is no reason to take it so personally, I've not critised your choice once to have botox, I think your responses are unnecessarily catty.

OK, whatever you want to think, but I replied point by point to anything you said, and didn't just tell you that you don't understand what "long term" means, yet I'm the catty one. Right.

Your response was dismissive, bordering on patronising whether you want to admit it or not.

Anyway, I've PM'd anyone that asked for it, and given my honest experience. And back on topic, the best primer I've used was Lancome La Base Pro, but then again some of my friends tried and loved it and some just didn't get the hype. I think its one of those things where peoples skin are just different, and certain products work better on some than on others, so theres no one size fits all answer, its probably going to take trial and error.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Shinbin223

That's interesting SarahMollie about Botox. It would never even have entered my head to get it as I always had this view that it would just make you look frozen and expression less.
    It might be something to look into although I think I would always have that fear about something going wrong.
    I ordered Benefits porefessional in a tester size for €12 so am hoping that might help, don't want to be going on my nights out looking older than I already am!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Saying botox is a muscle relaxant is like saying heroin is a nightime sleep aid.

Shinbin223 wrote: »
    That's interesting SarahMollie about Botox. It would never even have entered my head to get it as I always had this view that it would just make you look frozen and expression less.
    It might be something to look into although I think I would always have that fear about something going wrong.
    I ordered Benefits porefessional in a tester size for €12 so am hoping that might help, don't want to be going on my nights out looking older than I already am!

Ah sure, its not for everyone! I remember being so paranoid when I got it done at first the people would be able to tell, so I do know how you feel. My OH doesn't know, and sometimes on TV or sometime there will be a person on with a frozen face and he'd comment that they look ridiculous, and why do people do this to themselves etc, etc, and I'm just there like "yeah thats terrible.... :P"

He knows I've a friend who does it but just because I can still move my eyebrows and make expressions, he doesn't suspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Why do you hide it from him? If there's nothing wrong with getting it? I'm confused!

How much is it?

It's a bit odd.

If he's your next of kin also you'd want him to know your medical history which definitely included injecting a very serious POISON into your skin.

Because....It doesn't effect him. He knows I'm into skincare and always getting various different treatments and whatnot and he's no more interested in any of that that watching grass grow, so not sure why I'd really talk to him about this in particular. I also don't actively talk to him about laser hair removal, or eyelash extensions, or getting my nails done, although I suppose he can see the results of those, but he just never comments.

Also, define right or wrong in this instance? Do you mean wrong to be medically dangerous? Or that unless we're all totally proactively honest about everything we do that somehow we're wrong? I don't lie about it as such, I just don't see the need to volunteer the information. The rightness or wrongness has nothing to do with just wanting to be private.

My friend does mine for cost but I believe its somewhere between €250-350 for 2 zones (which is what most ppl get apparently) depending on how much you need. The vertical line between eyebrows can be an tough area to treat so occasionally they'd need to put extra in there.

It's a bit odd.

If he's your next of kin also you'd want him to know your medical history which definitely included injecting a very serious POISON into your skin.

Stop making assumptions just because I called you on your attitude yesterday.

Hes not my next of kin, as we're not married yet.

If you'd like to show me some evidence of death by botox, then please go ahead.

Just saw your edit.

No, I don't hide it from my GP, she knows. Like most people, I'd say I have a very different relationship with my GP than with my Fiance.

• Advertisement

Stop making assumptions just because I called you on your attitude yesterday.

Hes not my next of kin, as we're not married yet.

If you'd like to show me some evidence of death by botox, then please go ahead.

No you got extremely aggressive so I walked away. You didn't listen to what I had actually said and I saw no point in talking to you about it as you weren't going to listen.

And if your not aware of the health risks to do with botox I suggest you look them up, they may be rare but they still exist.

It's a pity have to hide from your partner that your getting botox.....

Advertisement