Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Close account (never used)

Options
  • 14-12-2016 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hello,

I would like to close my BOI account that was never used (I think) because I received a letter recently that the current account will incur charges from the start of next year. 

However, I do not have the bank account number anyway (therefore I cannot it online) and I am not in Ireland. Could you please advise me how to proceed.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

Terre wrote: »
    Hello,

I would like to close my BOI account that was never used (I think) because I received a letter recently that the current account will incur charges from the start of next year. 

However, I do not have the bank account number anyway (therefore I cannot it online) and I am not in Ireland. Could you please advise me how to proceed.

Thanks
    Hi Terre, 

Thanks for contacting us on Boards. 

If you are unable to fill in the online form to close your account, we would advise you to post a signed letter to your account holding branch. Please include your name, account number, contact number and signature on your letter. 
    If you have funds in your account over the amount of €5 please advise how you wish the funds to be transferred to you. If you would like them to be sent to you by Bank transfer, please provide the BIC and IBAN details of the account you wish the transfer to be made to. Alternatively if you wish the remaining funds to be issued by bank draft please advise who you wish the Bank draft to be made out to. 

You can find the address details for your branch at this link

Thanks,
    Sarah

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Terre

I do not have the account number (it wasn't provided in the letter concerning the introduction of personal account charges), otherwise I would fill in the online form to close the account. Is there a way you could find it for me, please?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

Terre wrote: »
    I do not have the account number (it wasn't provided in the letter concerning the introduction of personal account charges), otherwise I would fill in the online form to close the account. Is there a way you could find it for me, please?

Thanks.
    Hi Terre, 

If you don't have your accountnumber, please call BOI Direct on 003531 4044000 and a representative will be happy to help you. This number is available 8am to midnight Monday to Friday and 9am to 6pm on weekends. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Delta2113

"When we close your account (at your request), we will transfer your funds to the bank of your choice (beneficiary bank)."

Does the bank account that you would send the remaining balance of funds to have to be in my name or could I give you my sisters IBAN for example?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Delta2113 wrote: »
    "When we close your account (at your request), we will transfer your funds to the bank of your choice (beneficiary bank)."

Does the bank account that you would send the remaining balance of funds to have to be in my name or could I give you my sisters IBAN for example?
    Hi Delta2113, 

Thank you for getting in touch with us here. 

Providing that there are funds in the account when it is closed, they will be transferred to the nominated beneficiary of your choice. This does not need to be an account in your name, you'll just need to provide IBAN & BIC and the name of the account holder. A draft can also be issued upon closure however, this would only be made out to the named person on the account. 

For more information on this process please see here on our website. 

I hope this helps and if you need anything else, please don't hesitate to contact us again. 

Elaine 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Thanks Elaine and a very happy Christmas to you and the rest of the BOI Reps here on boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Thanks Elaine and a very happy Christmas to you and the rest of the BOI Reps here on boards.ie
    Thanks Delta21113, 

We wish you and your's a very happy Christmas too :-)

Elaine 

Advertisement