Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin One

Options
  • 14-12-2016 11:34am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭

A new district. Does anyone think this wishy washy idea has any potential to reform the area?

http://www.independent.ie/life/travel/ireland/dublin-has-gotten-a-new-district-but-will-it-finally-draw-people-north-35290129.html

I absolutely love Capel St but Parnell St, Talbot St, and O'Connell St are absolute dives in my opinion. They're just so run down. Not in a cool Berlin or Hackney run down way, more of a stuck in the 1980s Michael Guiney's kind of way. Although Talbot is improving.

This silly journo saying that this drive could "make it Europe’s hippest ’hood, just waiting to happen" is a bit of a push.

Thoughts?

Oh and John Rambo you should probably join this initiative...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

More morketing bullsh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

I absolutely love Capel St but Parnell St, Talbot St, and O'Connell St are absolute dives in my opinion. They're just so run down. Not in a cool Berlin or Hackney run down way, more of a stuck in the 1980s Michael Guiney's kind of way. Although Talbot is improving.

I actually like Talbot St in some ways. There are a few great places to eat & drink along there. Too many discount shops but the mix of ethnicities trading on the street, mixed with the huge number of commuters (Connolly Stn, Busaras, Luas, bus stops) and fresh arrivals off the 747 Airport Express make for an interesting experience.

But given it's route from the main bus/train station to the 'official' centre, it's definitely not achieving it's potential just yet!

Anyway, the article is only referring to the section from O'Connell St to Capel St, to Talbot is outside the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

Yes this area has massive potential and with investment will become the place for entertainment , shopping and eating/ drinking.

Temple bar was in a much more backward place in the late 1980's

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

The only way that they could make them into a proper areas is if they pedestrianised them imo. I think Capel street would be a good shout for this as it's just across from Temple Bar and has a few pubs and resturants, maybe add a night club or late venue.

Also encourage more bars and restaurants into the area in general, that would help add a bit of life. If you walk down Henry street and night its pretty deserted, and don't get me started on O'Connell street. The North side is pretty well neglected and badly needs improvement.

I'm from the North side but if I'm heading for a few pints in town 90% of the time I'll cross the Liffey as I don't feel that there's as much going on.

Advertisement