Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Hard Drive - Bad Sector Repair

Options
  • 14-12-2016 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hey - my external Seagate HDD failed (and so did its backup) . Went to get it checked - its a Bad Sector failure.

The quote to recover the data in what seems like a reputable establishment is €1000 ...? Am i crazy or is that a bit much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

The last crowd I worked for paid €1,400 to recover a failed external 1TB drive from a reputable company. It was essential they recovered the data for compliance purposes.

For some stupid reason my predecessor had decided it was OK to keep one copy of such data on an external disk that was only going to sit on a shelf and only be accessed maybe once every few years. It was during one of these infrequent accesses that the damned thing was dropped to the tune of €1,400. :( Needless to say when it was recovered, I had 3 copies of the data made, one on-site and two off to separate far remote locations.

So you've to make the call is the data worth €1,000 to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Luckydog69

podger14 wrote: »
    Hey - my external Seagate HDD failed (and so did its backup) . Went to get it checked - its a Bad Sector failure.

The quote to recover the data in what seems like a reputable establishment is €1000 ...? Am i crazy or is that a bit much

Don't know how bad your drive is but you could do worse that give this a shot...
    https://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sprinite in Level 4 has good odds of sorting it if the bad count isnt massive.

Recovery can be anywhere from €300 to €3000.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IT could be a loose data or power cable in the drive enclosure ,
    between the pcb and the drive itself .
    can you see the drive in my computer,
    Try freezer trick, put drive in sealed ziplock bag for 3-4 hours, turn on pc,
    plug in drive.
    http://lifehacker.com/5515337/save-a-failed-hard-drive-in-your-freezer-redux
    its worth a try .
    depending on the reason for not acessing the data recovery cost is
    100, s or 1000,s
    You could gently remove drive and plug it in to a pc using the sata cables
    from the pc dvd drive .
    Do not touch the drive pcb circuit board .which is on the underside of the drive

Advertisement