Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange DNS issue for wireless adapter

Options
  • 14-12-2016 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have weird problem with the wirless card on my laptop: Ever since Virgin had a DNS crash a few days ago my laptop always reports a 'No internet Access' message from my wirless connection. All other devices connected to the same router are fine (phone, smart TV). If I go to the TCPIP settings and change the DNS setting it fixes the problem...thats the weird part, all I have to do is change the setting, so if it is currently set to 'obtain DNS automatically' and I change it to 'use 8.8.8.8' then I get internet access back. Next time I start the laptop, no internet access, I go in and change '8.8.8.8' to ' obtain DNS automatically' and I get internet access again. :(
    Any idea what could be causing this? it's not the end of the world but it is a pain having to change the setting everytime I want to use the computer. By the way, am connecting to an access point that is connected to the Virgin router. Virgin router managing DHCP.
    thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

This might be worth a try if your problem is still there.

http://www.wikihow.com/Flush-DNS

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Microsoft put out a patch that broke the IP stack about a week ago. It resolves itself like you've explained.

Google will tell you how to revert the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 colin_little

I had similar experiences with various computers on windows 10 with the yellow triangle in the network symbol. I found that downloading network drivers from the computer manufactures web site and reinstalling them worked, of course you need a 2nd computer to do this.

Colin

Advertisement