Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business Expansion?

Options
  • 14-12-2016 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I ran a low-cost web development company for about 3 years with 2 designers and produced a really good product. It expanded pretty steadily, but all of a sudden, demand exploded. I had way too many projects to manage and couldn't cope with phone calls 16 hours per day, as I was the only point of contact for the business. I had no problem getting designers/ developers but someone to manage clients and keep them happy was a major issue for me.

I looked at getting a business phone and someone to manage clients, but had no budget for this wage, couldn't find the right person for the job and clients eventually found other companies who could look after them better. I wasn't even entirely sure what staff position I was advertising for.

Anyway, I'm planning to restart the business and I'm looking to plan for my projected fast expansion. Can anyone give me some/ any advice on how to expand gracefully and making sure clients are well looked after?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I ran a low-cost web development company
    I looked at getting a business phone and someone to manage clients, but had no budget for this wage
    Anyway, I'm planning to restart the business and I'm looking to plan for my projected fast expansion. Can anyone give me some/ any advice on how to expand gracefully and making sure clients are well looked after?

The highlights should tell you where to look.

At the lower end of the market you're competing with the amateurs and off-shores. To offer a consistent, higher quality product costs more.

P.S. Fix your website.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I deal with quite a few start ups/small companies where we are dealing with the MD/CTO or something, but once their business takes off you often see them struggle once they get busier.

There are a few things here

- you will need an ops manager/project manager/client manager
    - you will have to pay this person, but could you look at giving them less than the market rate and shares? Or take on someone junior with the capability
    - Pay a fee per client project completed by the manager i.e. have them contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭MyBusinez.com

Thanks for the constructive feedback helimachoptor. I'll take a look at doing just that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Graham wrote: »
    P.S. Fix your website.

That website needs a lot more than fixing.
    OP - you get only one opportunity to make a first impression. What some people regard as constructive feedback is not necessarily good advice.

Advertisement