Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amazon Prime Video

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

This is a bit of a mess really - I've been a UK Prime member for ages thanks to being able to use Parcel Motel. I have a few Amazon original TV shows I'd watch too, but I can't use my UK Prime membership to watch Prime Video shows (other than Grand Tour) in Ireland via the Xbox app. I can watch them via a browser on my laptop however. I have no idea whether they need to update their Xbox app to remove geo-restrictions (I don't think so as Grand Tour works fine), but if they expect me to pay for another separate subscription to access the exact same stuff as I already should be able to via regular Prime, they're mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭VictorRomeo

MJohnston wrote: »
    This is a bit of a mess really - I've been a UK Prime member for ages thanks to being able to use Parcel Motel. I have a few Amazon original TV shows I'd watch too, but I can't use my UK Prime membership to watch Prime Video shows (other than Grand Tour) in Ireland via the Xbox app. I can watch them via a browser on my laptop however. I have no idea whether they need to update their Xbox app to remove geo-restrictions (I don't think so as Grand Tour works fine), but if they expect me to pay for another separate subscription to access the exact same stuff as I already should be able to via regular Prime, they're mental.

Ditto - save for I use a 4K Fire TV and now not working. Even set up a new 'irish' trial account for Prime Video and registered this on the Fire TV. This also does not work - save for the Watch Abroad content.

So - seems as if the gig is up for Prime... back to 'other methods' I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭galtee boy

I'm a bit lost here. Is the content on Amazon Prime Video for Ireland ( as in the one launched today ) different to the content via Amazon Prime UK ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Anyone know how to download this on my LG Smart?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭VictorRomeo

galtee boy wrote: »
    I'm a bit lost here. Is the content on Amazon Prime Video for Ireland ( as in the one launched today ) different to the content via Amazon Prime UK ?

Yes. Not as comprehensive. All their own content is there mind you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭dazcush

Anyone know how to download this on my LG Smart?

should be there already in the premium apps of your Smart Hub. Mine isn't working though. Logged in, can see the TV is a registered device, but it's not letting me stream any video at all. Tries to make me purchase individual shows, and even that isn't working as my card isn't a UK card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

dazcush wrote: »
    should be there already in the premium apps of your Smart Hub. Mine isn't working though. Logged in, can see the TV is a registered device, but it's not letting me stream any video at all. Tries to make me purchase individual shows, and even that isn't working as my card isn't a UK card.

No not showing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

I've noticed this popping up in a few threads, but this post inspired me to go see what the craic was. Sure enough, a quick call to customer care will get your account sorted out. I'm on a Prime membership and now have access to Prive Video

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Anyone got a Sonos, could you check if prime music is on it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭supue

It's not appearing in the Sonos controller when you choose add music services (latest Sonos app with the play from Spotify app update)

• Advertisement

supue wrote: »
    It's not appearing in the Sonos controller when you choose add music services (latest Sonos app with the play from Spotify app update)

Cheers just copped its amazon prime videos only, signed up for prime a few months ago and you couldn't have music in Ireland, pity they don't would be handy just to have my music and videos from the one company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

does this mean videos will now work for anyone who has the Fire Kids tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭dubguy45

There seems to be no reference to this on Amazon UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭jdelis

You can download the android app and sign up from there. The price is very cheap for the first 6 months (2.99) but the content extremely poor so far. Nothing to do with what is available in US or even UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭An Tarbh

Yes. Not as comprehensive. All their own content is there mind you.

Not all of it is, tried to watch Mozart in the Jungle and got the Service Area Restriction message, same for Vikings and Alpha House, seems bizarre that they don't show these series since as far as I'm aware nobody else has the Irish rights for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭TeRmInAlCrAzY

As far as I can see, it is currently a waste of time and money. There is virtually no content there - About 100 movies, if you don't count the Bollywoods, about 30 TV series, not counting Anime.

Plus, if you have a chromecast, you cannot directly cast to it, and if you have a slightly older tablet (e.g. Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 10.1"), the results you get from mirroring the tablet screen are a joke.

Signed up last night for the free trial, unsubscribing today.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭BluesWeeper

Yep, seems to me to be a waste of time and money.

Can watch series 1 of The Man in the High Castle but not the latest series 2. Gettting "This video isn't available due to geographical licensing restrictions. For more details, please refer to Amazon Video Terms of Use. For further assistance, please contact Amazon Customer Service at www.amazon.co.uk/videohelp and refer to error 4601" on many other videos.

To me, very limited content. Unsubscribing before the week's trial is out most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭corroonb

What is the point of releasing such a terrible service? I have no way of watching the limited content on my TV. I can't cast it and none of the console apps work either. And they want people to pay €5.99 a month for this ****.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

As I said on another thread there is only one point to it, and it's called The Grand Tour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Chieftain

how do you sign up for the trial??? just went onto the amazon website and cant find the 2.99 per month + 7 day free trial

• Advertisement

It's not on Amazon website.

www.primevideo.com

icdg wrote: »
    As I said on another thread there is only one point to it, and it's called The Grand Tour.

I really like Bosch, Man in the High Castle was good last year until the showrunner left in season two, Transparent is excellent, and I'm really looking forward to The Tick. That said, this Prime Video service is going to do nothing in Ireland.

Have always thought Amazon should partner with a company like Parcel Motel in Ireland, offer free PM usage as part of a Prime subscription (instead of the free express delivery for example), amd properly include their Video stuff in it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Robert T

I just signed up for this. I can't find any app in the PlayStation Store to watch on my PS3, does anyone know if one exists?

I had to change my location on Xbox one to America to find the app. Just had a quick look last night, but most of the stuff cant be watched due to my location. Doesn't seem worth the subscription at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

I still haven't figured out how to set it up for my parents. Any ideas?

I can't watch it using my chromecast, my PS4, my PS3 and my smart TV doesn't have a built in app. So far the only way I've managed it is to cast it from a browser video on my laptop but the latency makes it unwatchable.

Any ideas? It's not very TV friendly.

You can use (or set a new one) US account in PSN. Then you can download the app and be using it in your normal account.

Probably this will work from a UK account as well.

I have also downloaded the app in my phone from the Google store, it's available if you search Amazon Prime Video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

jdelis wrote: »
    You can use (or set a new one) US account in PSN. Then you can download the app and be using it in your normal account.

Probably this will work from a UK account as well.

I have also downloaded the app in my phone from the Google store, it's available if you search Amazon Prime Video.

That seems unreasonably fiddly. This is the sort of stuff you would have had to do before as a workaround. Is Amazon's version of bringing the service to Ireland simply lifting the geoblock on a limited amount of its own content and asking for money without an Irish website, apps, content etc? I just tried to watch season 2 of the Man in the High Castle and it's nowhere to be found.

I don't have an android phone unfortunately and the iPhone app isn't letting me cast to my chrome cast or my TV.

I agree, it's a lot of hassle for very limited content. I believe it will start showing to Irish online sites as the time passes

The only argument is the introductory 2.99 price and if the content isn't up seriously by the end of the 6 months, I will not renew.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Sedecimalis

So I rang Amazon to ask why the latest season of Amazon originals (man in the high castle in my case) was not available in Ireland.

Help desk was confused and agreed it didn't make sense. They rang some internal technical department who confirmed the situation but also could not understand why the latest seasons of some Amazon originals are not "loaded" for Ireland.

They said they'd get back to to clarify if it was a glitch or intentional.

So I get third party licensing agreements limiting selection but charging us to not be able to watch Amazon originals is a bit rich.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭BluesWeeper

I also complained about TMITHC series 2 and got the following reply...

"It seems the title is not available internationally due to restrictions by the content owner company.

I hope you understand when we make a series or specific video available to watch for free as part of the Amazon Prime instant video, as we are not the owners of the Video, we do so by first entering into an agreement with the owners and publishers of video and we have to follow their guidelines due to licensing agreement.

This is the reason we are offering free trial so that you can determine if you prefer to continue or cancel the membership at the end of free trial.

Customer feedback like yours is very important in helping us continue to improve the experience of using our digital video service. I've forwarded your message to our Amazon Video development team for consideration as we make future improvements.

We're constantly working to improve our catalogue to make sure that Prime members have access to the best selection of movies and TV shows possible.

I hope you understand our limitations in this regard, as we always want to provide you the best service and it wasn't our intention to disappoint you."

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭dubguy45

If you try to purchase an Amazon Fire TV on Amazon it warns you that Amazon Prime Video is not available in Ireland. Do they know what they are doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Gator88

troyzer wrote: »
    That seems unreasonably fiddly. This is the sort of stuff you would have had to do before as a workaround. Is Amazon's version of bringing the service to Ireland simply lifting the geoblock on a limited amount of its own content and asking for money without an Irish website, apps, content etc? I just tried to watch season 2 of the Man in the High Castle and it's nowhere to be found.

I don't have an android phone unfortunately and the iPhone app isn't letting me cast to my chrome cast or my TV.

I had to sideload it on my Android tv. It's a fiddly way to install it. Eventually got app up and running and sort of sorry I bothered. As most have said not much content yet. Maybe in a few months

• Registered Users Posts: 29 PaulieBeef

This seems like a really unprofessional rollout. I'm surprised that a company as large as Amazon doesn't seem to know what they're at. I joined the Amazon Prime trial via my Amazon.co.uk account and it signed me up for a month free trial followed by the yearly £79 subscription, thinking that was how you'd join. Then I saw the prime video website with the €2.99 offer and subsequently cancelled the other subscription. On trying to join via the prime video website I was referred to a customer service rep in the US who informed me that the service is not available in my country! At the moment I can access through the prime video app and on the app on my TV, but only have access to the 'watch while abroad' shows.

I think I'll be steering clear of this until it's been on the go for a few months and these issues are ironed out. If we got anything like the content the UK has I would definitely be interested though.

As I say I'm pretty sure the sole goal of the international rollout was to address the demand internationally for the Grand Tour. No more, no less. Otherwise they'd have had to get involved with the traditional distribution networks which they don't seem to want to do (ironically, for a logistics company!).

Re Man in the High Castle season 2, there's a trailer for it on their Facebook page so maybe it will be on the way soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

icdg wrote: »
    As I say I'm pretty sure the sole goal of the international rollout was to address the demand internationally for the Grand Tour. No more, no less. Otherwise they'd have had to get involved with the traditional distribution networks which they don't seem to want to do (ironically, for a logistics company!).

Re Man in the High Castle season 2, there's a trailer for it on their Facebook page so maybe it will be on the way soon.

OT, but I watched most of an episode of GT and abandoned it.
    Obviously for a completely different audience than I represent.

I actually thought it complete rubbish :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

the content is shocking

really was gonna sign up for decent alternative but its beyond bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭FuzzyDunlop100

"It seems the title is not available internationally due to restrictions by the content owner company.

I hope you understand when we make a series or specific video available to watch for free as part of the Amazon Prime instant video, as we are not the owners of the Video, we do so by first entering into an agreement with the owners and publishers of video and we have to follow their guidelines due to licensing agreement.

This is the reason we are offering free trial so that you can determine if you prefer to continue or cancel the membership at the end of free trial.

Customer feedback like yours is very important in helping us continue to improve the experience of using our digital video service. I've forwarded your message to our Amazon Video development team for consideration as we make future improvements.

We're constantly working to improve our catalogue to make sure that Prime members have access to the best selection of movies and TV shows possible.

I hope you understand our limitations in this regard, as we always want to provide you the best service and it wasn't our intention to disappoint you."

got a similar reply myself, it's farcical and the fact that they're advertising the show as part of their lineup without mentioning that the second season isn't available is disingenuous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

got a similar reply myself, it's farcical and the fact that they're advertising the show as part of their lineup without mentioning that the second season isn't available is disingenuous.

It really does highlight why a lot of people decide to go the 'dodgy' route of streaming such content from illegal sites.

I wonder, should the ECJ make the final decision that streaming is not illegal (looks that way), regardless the source of the stream, will this change their minds about what they make available across Europe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭twilight_singer

such a pain in the ass that almost most of the content is unavailable. Even stuff that says its included in my prime membership and I cant watch it.

for what its worth I can stream season 2 of this this now, although lot of other content unavailable

• Advertisement

It really does highlight why a lot of people decide to go the 'dodgy' route of streaming such content from illegal sites.

I wonder, should the ECJ make the final decision that streaming is not illegal (looks that way), regardless the source of the stream, will this change their minds about what they make available across Europe?

I'm going back to my perfectly legal dodgy set up, the steam link is a genius of a product..Using the power of your pc or laptop and the kodi app on the steam link is the best solution I've found a lot cheaper and better than any dodgy box.

Just got off to Amazon supoort, still won't work on Xbox or PlayStation but will work on a sony TV. Getting a full refund and signed up on day one.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 King Leer

I signed up to watch 'Crisis in Six Scenes' and it doesn't even have that - an Amazon original show!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭FuzzyDunlop100

for what its worth I can stream season 2 of this this now, although lot of other content unavailable

Did you do anything different?
    I can't get Season 2, only Season 1

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

So I take it there's been no improvement in the content? Seems the only reason they rolled it out internationally was to try and prevent people from pirating that Top Gear effort.

Did you do anything different?
    I can't get Season 2, only Season 1

thanks

Nope, just works!

They've updated the Xbox One app of this today, and it *seems* to have expanded the available selection somewhat. App is slow as **** though, for no real apparent reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

They've updated the Xbox One app of this today, and it *seems* to have expanded the available selection somewhat. App is slow as **** though, for no real apparent reason.

interesting

Could be that the selection had already expanded a bit before the update, I just haven't checked it in a while. Was able to test Goliath and Man in the High Castle season 2, which I couldn't play before at all.

None of the Amazon Original Movies will play though, even though they're all marked 'Prime'. Just such a confusingly designed service, piss poor.

last time I looked at the xbox app I just had a couple of programmes and Bollywood movies for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 29 PaulieBeef

Has this improved at all in the last few months?

• Advertisement
Advertisement