Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

grand stretch in the evenings

Options
  • 14-12-2016 5:08pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭

good news for cyclists - and anyone who's not a vampire, i suppose - the evenings have started getting longer again. summer is just around the corner.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

au contraire mon frère, you're 8 days early

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/ireland/dublin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm not. yesterday was the earliest sunset, it's clearly stated on the link you provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Tabnabs wrote: »

Your link shows the OP is right:

Second time is sunset - it's getting later (though so is sunrise):
    14 08:34 ↑ (130°) 16:06 ↑
    15 08:34 ↑ (130°) 16:06 ↑
    16 08:35 ↑ (130°) 16:07 ↑

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Column number 5 day length difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

I never get why the spring clock change is so late. They could easily move it forward to some time in late February. You'ld have a similar sunrise to right before the winter change, and an extra hour of sunlight in the evenings.

• Advertisement

good news for cyclists - and anyone who's not a vampire, i suppose - the evenings have started getting longer again. summer is just around the corner.

pitch dark morning and evening these days..... inky blackness.
    The shortest day is 21 Dec traditionally. After that you can actually see a slight difference (well... coming into January). Not on the 15th December! :confused:

I will go with tradition and a lifetime of experience on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

So it is, weird. 21st is still shortest day.

Now, I know it's not Friday yet, but there's got to be somebody on here with a better knowledge of geophysics than me that can say why, or failing that at least speculate wildly :-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's to do with the leap year, afaik - midnight doesn't happen at exact celestial midnight, so the day is not 'centred' exactly on noon/midnight.

JazzyJ wrote: »
    I never get why the spring clock change is so late. They could easily move it forward to some time in late February. You'ld have a similar sunrise to right before the winter change, and an extra hour of sunlight in the evenings.
    yeah, it's an odd one. spring forward happens around the spring equinox, but fall back happens a month after the autumn equinox.

pitch dark morning and evening these days..... inky blackness.
    The shortest day is 21 Dec traditionally. After that you can actually see a slight difference (well... coming into January). Not on the 15th December! :confused:

I will go with tradition and a lifetime of experience on this one.

"Traditionally" or because science proves it? ;)

earth-and-sun-11.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Given how overcast it is today, I laughed when I saw the title of this thread.

I agree that the date of the switch to Summer Time should be changed. My aunt is a long-time proponent of JazzyJ's proposal.

it's to do with the leap year, afaik - midnight doesn't happen at exact celestial midnight, so the day is not 'centred' exactly on noon/midnight.

Celestial what now?

I think you're missing the nuance here. The 21st December is the shortest day (i.e. least amount of daylight), but not the one with the shortest evening (i.e. least daylight after noon).

edit: scroll to the bottom of your link:
    Earliest sunset is on 13 December. Latest sunrise is on 29 December.

buffalo wrote: »
    I think you're missing the nuance here. The 21st December is the shortest day (i.e. least amount of daylight), but not the one with the shortest evening (i.e. least daylight after noon).

edit: scroll to the bottom of your link:

And yet, this table says it's not til the 17th.

http://www.sunrise-and-sunset.com/en/sun/ireland/dublin/2016/december

As it does here also http://www.sunrisesunset.com/predefined.asp (when you enter details for Dublin, for example)

For all practical reasons and to remove any nuances from the equation, I'll stick to the 22nd to celebrate the suns northern migration and the lengthening of the days ;)

You need to make your mind up about your sources.

And yet, this table says it's not til the 17th.

http://www.sunrise-and-sunset.com/en/sun/ireland/dublin/2016/december

umm... the table says that on the 17th the sunset will move into a later minute, not that it's the first time sunset is later. If there were seconds shown on the time, it might be clearer.

You'll notice for example, on the 14th evening astronomical twilight ends at 18:15, but on the 15th it ends at 18:16:

http://www.sunrise-and-sunset.com/en/sun/ireland/dublin/2016/december/14
    http://www.sunrise-and-sunset.com/en/sun/ireland/dublin/2016/december/15

I love arguing on the Internet, I discover the most fascinating things. I've already spent far too long learning about civil vs nautical vs astronomical twilight.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭nialljf

cycling?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

nialljf wrote: »
    cycling?

You'll want the Motors forum for that.

earth-and-sun-11.jpg
    the solstice is usually, but not always, on the 21st. often on the 22nd too; for example, last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭pillphil

earth-and-sun-11.jpg

Actually, science says Dec 22nd is around the longest day of the year. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Oops sorry, thought this was the cycling forum. ***closes door quietly***

how many times do you need to close a door before it becomes noisy?

anyway, if you think we have it bad here - sunset in london is about 15 or 20 minutes earlier in london. so it sets before 4 this time of year. swings and roundabouts, they get brighter mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

how many times do you need to close a door before it becomes noisy?

If a door closes when no ones there, does it make a noise?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

It certainly highlights the relativity of time. Reading this thread has been the longest 30 seconds of my life.

since time passes more quickly the older you get, that may be a sign that you're just getting old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

since time passes more quickly the older you get, that may be a sign that you're just getting old.

It has aged me. Of that there is no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Was I imagining it or was it a lot brighter this morning? Might have been the clear sky and super moon.

Advertisement