Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon 2017

Options
  • 14-12-2016 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Following Dublin's lead the Cork City Marathon will be on Sunday June 4th 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

about time some common sense prevailed, pity they couldn't have done it sooner...how will this affect mass??? I remember hearing mass times & road closures being one excuse for not having it on a Sunday in the past :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭noelearly

Ah Christ the one time I wanted it on the Monday its moved to Sunday. Typical. Probably see an increase in numbers now which is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

There goes my aul lad podium repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

YES!! Delighted with that date, feed of pints after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Great news for me. If I can find relatively cheap flights I'm good to go. That time of year suits me training wise cos April and May I have lighter workload and longer days to do decent training spins. Also comes before the long Summer in Spain where the heat and the beer and tapas don't help for Autumn prep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

This will clash with the Derry Walled Marathon

ger664 wrote: »
    This will clash with the Derry Walled Marathon

There would surely not have been many looking to do the two. Derry on Sunday and Cork on Monday? You'd barely make it down!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

So are there many from here doing this? How's the training going? I signed up a couple of weeks ago and have a decent couple of weeks training down, then Ballycotton next week and a nice 12 weeks then to get ready. Ran the first 4 and last 9 or so miles today as part of a long run - I'm really starting to look forward to it now.

So are there many from here doing this? How's the training going? I signed up a couple of weeks ago and have a decent couple of weeks training down, then Ballycotton next week and a nice 12 weeks then to get ready. Ran the first 4 and last 9 or so miles today as part of a long run - I'm really starting to look forward to it now.

I'm targeting it meself. First time for me. Training fairly low key at the moment. Looking to do a 10k race in two weeks time. Upping the mileage a bit but doing a bit of speed too. 28.5k this morning slowish.

After the 10k I'll concentrate solely on the marathon. April and May should be good months for training, longer days, better weather.... Hopefully stay healthy.

Too early for table though! (And weather forecast :) )

There's never any point in a weather forecast for Cork! Best of luck. After Ballycotton, I'm doing a 10k in April and a 6 miler a few weeks before as tune up races, but the focus is solely on the marathon, so I'm not too worried about the shorter races. By first time, I take it you mean Cork? It'll be my second time doing it (did the half last year). Great buzz rounding the corner onto Patricks Street and hearing the roar of the crowd.

• Advertisement

There's never any point in a weather forecast for Cork! Best of luck. After Ballycotton, I'm doing a 10k in April and a 6 miler a few weeks before as tune up races, but the focus is solely on the marathon, so I'm not too worried about the shorter races. By first time, I take it you mean Cork? It'll be my second time doing it (did the half last year). Great buzz rounding the corner onto Patricks Street and hearing the roar of the crowd.

Yep, I think it's number 12 overall. PB of 3.03 and gunning, once again, for the old 2.59! Be nice to do it in my home town. Hopefully there'll be a few from here doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Itziger wrote: »
    Yep, I think it's number 12 overall. PB of 3.03 and gunning, once again, for the old 2.59! Be nice to do it in my home town. Hopefully there'll be a few from here doing it.

Might see you there D, I whoring myself around in pursuit of sub 3 :)

TbL

Might see you there D, I whoring myself around in pursuit of sub 3 :)

TbL

Lemony, that would be great. I see you're going through one of those rather fallow periods which I think affect us mature lads. We've got 3 months to the day to get our butts in shape for Cork. Take a week or two to get back into it and then get yourself a plan for the Rebel City.

If we nail the sub 3 the first round is on me, in the Valley or the Hi B.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭CR 7

I'll be there myself too, going for 2:59, after 3:03 in Dublin last year. First time doing the full in Cork, ran the second relay leg and then jogged the rest of the course 2 years ago so I've some idea of the course. I've just been kind of keeping the training ticking over since Dublin with a few shorter races thrown in, so training will officially start the day after ballycotton.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

Just started week 6 of P&D Marathon 55 miles 18 week schedule, going good. Ballycotton 10 up next then Mala 10.

Seems like there's some course changes on the way. For some reason I can't post links using the app but there was a Facebook post from the course measurer earlier showing the 26 mile marker on Washington Street. The finish will be going across the North Gate Bridge, down North Main Street the next onto Washington Street and onto the Grand Parade and Patrick Street. There's no more info other than it's not coming straight in from the Straight Road. Possibly avoiding churches because of the Sunday morning (pure supposition on my part)?

Seems like there's some course changes on the way. For some reason I can't post links using the app but there was a Facebook post from the course measurer earlier showing the 26 mile marker on Washington Street. The finish will be going across the North Gate Bridge, down North Main Street the next onto Washington Street and onto the Grand Parade and Patrick Street. There's no more info other than it's not coming straight in from the Straight Road. Possibly avoiding churches because of the Sunday morning (pure supposition on my part)?

Keep us posted when you know more. Corkrunningblog is usually very good to be fair.

Itziger wrote: »
    Keep us posted when you know more. Corkrunningblog is usually very good to be fair.

Here's the link to the Facebook post:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/corkathletics/permalink/10155880095665830/?comment_id=10155880996645830&notif_t=group_comment_reply&notif_id=1489934912917876

Your right though, it'll probably be up on the Cork running blog fairly quickly once it's sorted out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Few questions for the more local than me as my better half will now be running the half marathon and I'll be minding a toddler and grandparents for the day.
    Does anyone know the route for the half marathon? There is a link from the website, but it goes to someones private MapMyRun page. I know from having done the relay a few times back in the day that it went in and out of the city a few times making it pretty good for spectating, does the half course do something similar?

Are there any decent children's playgrounds around the course to entertain/ exhaust a toddler at, or if there are any indoor entertainment options if the weather is awful?

Is the only option for collecting even the half marathon numbers to make the trek to the expo on the Saturday? What ID would they need if I was collecting the number, or if I recruited another local to do so and save me the drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Last year, the (~14 mile!) half marathon route was essentially the 2nd half of the marathon course. Haven't seen any details yet for this year though. The nicest play ground around is very close to the last mile of the run as it happens in Fitzgeralds Park where you have this!

FitzgeraldParkPlayground_large.jpg?width=648&s=ie-272579

Would help out with number collections but I'm away that weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

That playground looks excellent. :D

The Fitzgeralds park playground has been done up recently:

https://goo.gl/images/KxloZe
    I might be able to help with number collection - I'm at work myself that day, but my better half is going in. I'm running the full though - if you're in Cork the night before the number collection is usually at City Hall which is in the City Centre - not far from the half start.

That playground looks even better now, I'm glad I drew the straw for toddler minding.

Not going to be in Cork the night before and will be driving down from Shannon direction on the morning. Thanks for the offer of assisting with number collection, I'll see how the rest of our plans develop and may need to take an offer of assistance up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 eoinryan435

Anyone know of any discount codes that can be used when registering?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

robinph wrote: »
    Few questions for the more local than me as my better half will now be running the half marathon and I'll be minding a toddler and grandparents for the day.
    Does anyone know the route for the half marathon? There is a link from the website, but it goes to someones private MapMyRun page. I know from having done the relay a few times back in the day that it went in and out of the city a few times making it pretty good for spectating, does the half course do something similar?

Are there any decent children's playgrounds around the course to entertain/ exhaust a toddler at, or if there are any indoor entertainment options if the weather is awful?

Is the only option for collecting even the half marathon numbers to make the trek to the expo on the Saturday? What ID would they need if I was collecting the number, or if I recruited another local to do so and save me the drive?

You're just fishing for someone to post "THAT" photo.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Cork+city+marathon+09+512.JPGGo on then...........

eliwallach wrote: »
    You're just fishing for someone to post "THAT" photo.....
    What me, don't know what photo you are talking about. ;)

A post from myself with that photo appeared in the wife's Facebook search results about Cork Marathon the other week. It's not always helpful for Facebook to know all your history Mr Zuckerberg!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Tempted to sign up for this but the number collection/registration on the Saturday is putting me off.

Any way of getting numbers posted our before handy/pick up on the Sunday ?

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

The new route details have appeared - THE COURSES!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

opus wrote: »
    The new route details have appeared - THE COURSES!

Thanks. The half marathon start is a lot more straightforward. Should be no confusion like last year.

Advertisement