Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭hunkydory1

Forecast currently looking good!

It may be overcast but humidity is forecast to be very high.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Healers39

Has anybody had any experience running with a pacer? Do they try and keep the same pace every mile or do they start out at a slower pace and then try and make it up in the second half or start out fast and then slow up towards the end of the race?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

robinph wrote: »
    Will be driving down from Shannon direction on the morning for the half. What area should I aim for to park the car? Need to not be too far from the centre as will have spectators with me who won't be able for walking long distances.

If you don't mind paying for parking then Carrolls Quay car park is right on your route into the city and about a 5 minute walk from the start/finish. Is open 24/7 but I'm not sure what time the road closures take place there yet. (It's on the race route at roughly 2 miles - on the 'in and out' stretch to Blackpool) That road will be one of the first to close but also one of the first to open.

EDIT: Still nothing on the Cork City Council Site about road closures. Just talking about this in work today and a lot of residents don't even know it's on the Sunday this year (and there's lot of runners and walkers where I work !!)

http://www.corkcity.ie/services/roadstransportation/transportationdivision/roadclosuresanddiversions/

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

Itziger wrote: »
    45 mins before the start?? Or am I wrong about that? It seems way too late to be arriving in the city.

You're right but I'm not driving and I'm only doing the half and the lads seem confident of having enough time. AFAIK they're not using the bag drop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Name|Bib No:|Event|PB|Target|Finish Time
    hot buttered scones||Full|03:21:45|03:14:59|
    corkladd||Half|01:39:03|01:29:59|
    overthebridge||Half|01:35:14|01:34:30|
    TheBigGreen||Full|-|03:29:59|
    Itziger||Full|03:03:28|02:59:30|
    Jakey Rolling ||Full|3:36:00|3:2x:xx|
    CR 7||Full|3:03:45|2:59:59|
    robinph||Half|1:19:15|<1:22|

Really not completely sure where I'm at at the moment though, but I'll give it a go and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

Hi Folks,

A couple of logistical questions someone might be able to help with. Is the bag drop secure/monitored? I know they say not to leave valuables and all but from a practical stand point would I be safe to assume some poor sap has to spend his/her morning keeping a few bags company? (my phone isn't all that valuable but if I come back and it's missing I'm in trouble!). Also, I assume if I get to the start for 8.30 I'll be in plenty of time? Someone mentioned 45 minutes early above but that seems a little excessive, particularly given the relatively small field.

I'm in full blown taper madness at the moment so won't hang around but best of luck to anyone running, jogging or walking. Be sure to enjoy it!!

Oh and while I'm here I want to say thanks to hot buttered scones for the excellent route synopsis posted earlier - it's really helpful. Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

murphm45 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

A couple of logistical questions someone might be able to help with. Is the bag drop secure/monitored? I know they say not to leave valuables and all but from a practical stand point would I be safe to assume some poor sap has to spend his/her morning keeping a few bags company? (my phone isn't all that valuable but if I come back and it's missing I'm in trouble!). Also, I assume if I get to the start for 8.30 I'll be in plenty of time? Someone mentioned 45 minutes early above but that seems a little excessive, particularly given the relatively small field.

I'm in full blown taper madness at the moment so won't hang around but best of luck to anyone running, jogging or walking. Be sure to enjoy it!!

Oh and while I'm here I want to say thanks to hot buttered scones for the excellent route synopsis posted earlier - it's really helpful. Thank you!

That was my response to someone arriving at carpark at that time..... they were also looking for breakfast advice!! Turns out the poster is doing the Half so not too worried about time. Knowing the City and the numbers in the Full as I do, I'll rock up at about 8.30 or a couple of minutes later. Don't like hanging around too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Ron Scott

Last years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

What time would the leaders be expected on the straight road at.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

Itziger wrote: »
    That was my response to someone arriving at carpark at that time..... they were also looking for breakfast advice!! Turns out the poster is doing the Half so not too worried about time. Knowing the City and the numbers in the Full as I do, I'll rock up at about 8.30 or a couple of minutes later. Don't like hanging around too much.

Ok, that makes a lot more sense then. Thanks for clarify, and confirming 8.30 is time enough

Ron Scott wrote: »
    Last years

Updated link for 2017:

http://www.corkcitymarathon.ie/your-pacing-teams/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

What time would the leaders be expected on the straight road at.

Roughly between 11 and half past I'd guess

If you don't mind paying for parking then Carrolls Quay car park is right on your route into the city and about a 5 minute walk from the start/finish. Is open 24/7 but I'm not sure what time the road closures take place there yet. (It's on the race route at roughly 2 miles - on the 'in and out' stretch to Blackpool) That road will be one of the first to close but also one of the first to open.

EDIT: Still nothing on the Cork City Council Site about road closures. Just talking about this in work today and a lot of residents don't even know it's on the Sunday this year (and there's lot of runners and walkers where I work !!)

http://www.corkcity.ie/services/roadstransportation/transportationdivision/roadclosuresanddiversions/

This might help:

http://www.corkcitymarathon.ie/traffic-travel/

Ron Scott wrote: »

Can anyone translate this from local knowledge of the Cork road system into the same road names that appear on Google Maps?
    Approaching the City from the North

Blackpool

The Blackpool Bypass will be closed from Thomas Davis Street into town from 8am to about 10.30am. Motorists coming from the north are advised to use the North Link Road and exit further to the east.

All traffic north of the River Lee should return to normal after 12pm, with the exception of the North Mall (inbound traffic only until 4pm).

I'm assuming that the Blackpool Bypass is the N20?
    What road are they calling the North Link Road as I can't find it, or the "exit further to the east" is not making sense as the N20 appears to come into the city from the north west.

Can anyone translate this from local knowledge of the Cork road system into the same road names that appear on Google Maps?

What road are they calling the North Link Road as I can't find it, or the "exit further to the east" is not making sense as the N20 appears to come into the city from the north west.

Starts at the dual carriage way by the hotel there East of the city (parallel to river and railway line) and goes up and around Mayfield and down into Blackpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Spot on, the Blackpool Bypass is indeed the N20. I'm guessing by North Link Road they mean the North Ring Road as you could head further east on that and say come into town via Ballyhooly Road.

If I was coming from Limerick direction that morning, I'd be tempted to get off the N20 at Blarney & come into town further west via this route.

Remember Cork is really just a big town so you'll never be too far from the marathon start in any case :)

opus wrote: »
    Spot on, the Blackpool Bypass is indeed the N20. I'm guessing by North Link Road they mean the North Ring Road as you could head further east on that and say come into town via Ballyhooly Road.

If I was coming from Limerick direction that morning, I'd be tempted to get off the N20 at Blarney & come into town further west via this route.

Remember Cork is really just a big town so you'll never be too far from the marathon start in any case :)

Perfect, thanks for that. It's the support crew that are going to be a less mobile so need to get the car as close to the centre as possible, otherwise I'd just park a few miles out and use that as the warm up. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Perfect, thanks for that. It's the support crew that are going to be a less mobile so need to get the car as close to the centre as possible, otherwise I'd just park a few miles out and use that as the warm up. :)

If you're into town before 8am you can park in the aforementioned Carrolls Quay Car Park or there should be parking at that hour on the surrounding streets as well. It's as close as you can get to the start and can view 3 or 4 different stages of the race within a couple of hundred yards at most.

EDIT: It's 400 mt to the start line from there. The race passes the front entrance of that car park on the way out to Blackpool and again on the way back in. The latter stages of the race can be seen the either at the North Gate Bridge area (500mt upstream) or back again at the finish line.
    It's an ideal area to park for those who may not be so mobile and will most likely be as close as you can get to the city centre on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

Name|Bib No:|Event|PB|Target|Finish Time
    hot buttered scones||Full|03:21:45|03:14:59|
    corkladd||Half|01:39:03|01:29:59|
    overthebridge||Half|01:35:14|01:34:30|
    TheBigGreen||Full|-|03:29:59|
    Itziger||Full|03:03:28|02:59:30|
    Jakey Rolling ||Full|3:36:00|3:2x:xx|
    CR 7||Full|3:03:45|2:59:59|
    robinph||Half|1:19:15|<1:22|
    sixpack's little hat||Half|1:22:0x|1:19:59|

• Registered Users Posts: 7 charloda

Please see cork running blog for detailed breakdown of the cork marathon route

sorry I cant post the link

Good luck to all on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Here the link to a course preview of the course broken into each relay leg

https://corkrunning.blogspot.ie/2017/05/preview-of-2017-cork-city-marathon.html

See ye in Leg 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Megager

Hi all. Won't get to cork til 6pm tomorrow. Will I have time to get my number? I think its says it stays open until 8pm?

Also any idea what the wind is like in terms of course? I see winds of 15-24 km/hr forecast, buy no idea if that's strong or likely to be against us for much of the route.

As you may have guessed taper fever/ nerves getting the best of me :)

Megager wrote: »
    Hi all. Won't get to cork til 6pm tomorrow. Will I have time to get my number? I think its says it stays open until 8pm?

Also any idea what the wind is like in terms of course? I see winds of 15-24 km/hr forecast, buy no idea if that's strong or likely to be against us for much of the route.

As you may have guessed taper fever/ nerves getting the best of me :)

6pm should be fine.

Wind speeds:

https://www.windfinder.com/wind/windspeed.htm

So a moderate to fresh breeze, but probably ok.

The wind is forecast as WSW, so roughly at our backs on the straight road for the last few miles and also when we're heading towards the tunnel. This does mean we'll be running into it for a good bit of the second half, but I reckon we should be fairly sheltered for most of that, and it will be cooling. The Norwegians (yr.no) are giving the humidity at 73% and 63% for 9-10 and 10-11 am, which is very good. So a bright (with some cloud cover), coolish morning with low humidity and a gentle breeze at your back in many parts, and no rain forecast. Temperatures of 12 deg at 9am rising to 15 by 12am - a great forecast if it sticks.

Having said that, the forecast is changing every six hours so I'd wait until about 9am Sunday morning to see what the weather's going to be like. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

Healers39 wrote:
    Has anybody had any experience running with a pacer? Do they try and keep the same pace every mile or do they start out at a slower pace and then try and make it up in the second half or start out fast and then slow up towards the end of the race?

Pacers set out with the goal of running an even pace throughout. Obviously due to congestion it may take a mile or two in to get on pace.
    I'm one of the Pacers Sunday, did it last year as well nice course. Enjoy yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Megager

6pm should be fine.

Wind speeds:

https://www.windfinder.com/wind/windspeed.htm

So a moderate to fresh breeze, but probably ok.

The wind is forecast as WSW, so roughly at our backs on the straight road for the last few miles and also when we're heading towards the tunnel. This does mean we'll be running into it for a good bit of the second half, but I reckon we should be fairly sheltered for most of that, and it will be cooling. The Norwegians (yr.no) are giving the humidity at 73% and 63% for 9-10 and 10-11 am, which is very good. So a bright (with some cloud cover), coolish morning with low humidity and a gentle breeze at your back in many parts, and no rain forecast. Temperatures of 12 deg at 9am rising to 15 by 12am - a great forecast if it sticks.

Having said that, the forecast is changing every six hours so I'd wait until about 9am Sunday morning to see what the weather's going to be like. :D

Great stuff. Thanks a million. Good not to have to run against the wind for the last bit, hopefully we get big gusts at that point. If I'm still standing, I'll need them

nhunter100 wrote: »
    Pacers set out with the goal of running an even pace throughout. Obviously due to congestion it may take a mile or two in to get on pace.
    I'm one of the Pacers Sunday, did it last year as well nice course. Enjoy yourself.

I'm thinking of going with the sub 3 bunch. I've been told they're a quartet of Barrs lads. You one Hunter, by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

Itziger wrote:
    I'm thinking of going with the sub 3 bunch. I've been told they're a quartet of Barrs lads. You one Hunter, by any chance?

Unfortunately no, I'm not that fast. I believe it's split between two pairings like last year. Best of luck.

• Advertisement

I'd be happy enough if this forecast holds:
    nLURHu.png
    OTECOW.png

Advertisement