Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Itziger wrote: »
    Thanks lad. Great result for me. 12th marathon and first sub 3. Went with the pacers and started to hurt/fatigue with about 10k to go. One of the lads dropped back to encourage us - I think there were only 2 of us, 3 max, and he did a great job getting us home. Will obviously write a report later at some stage but just to say. Lovely day, almost too much sun, tough enough in places, hello km 34, but I can't complain!!!!
    Had to go home to the town of my birth and family to nail the ould sub 3 and in the last tough bit that was definitely a help.

Id say i was the other lad, you were wearing black? my first sub 3 too, and couldnt be happier. The last 10k was tough out, but that pacer was brilliant, really was great for encouragement and telling us how much time we were up. Tough race but still smiling after breaking that 3 hour barrier. Congrats to yourself my friend!
    Jesus, the last 10kms were rough alright. I was glad you were there too, not just the pacer. It was great to have someone else going for it. Massive congratulations as I know exactly what you felt and went through for those few miles!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Jesus, the last 10kms were rough alright. I was glad you were there too, not just the pacer. It was great to have someone else going for it. Massive congratulations as I know exactly what you felt and went through for those few miles!

Same! It was good knowing someone else was suffering with me! The last stretch along the street seemed to go on forever. It's a marathon I wont forget i can tell you that.

Same! It was good knowing someone else was suffering with me! The last stretch along the street seemed to go on forever. It's a marathon I wont forget i can tell you that.
    You put in a bleeding sprint right at the end! Beat me by 10 metres. Love the way we didn't exchange a single word for those miles :)

You put in a bleeding sprint right at the end! Beat me by 10 metres. Love the way we didn't exchange a single word for those miles :)

Jeeckust, I was sure I came in after you! The last stretch is a complete blur- I even threw my hands in the air like an eejit, I remember that much! The pacer spoke enough for both of us, the focus on not choking was too strong!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Thanks lad. Great result for me. 12th marathon and first sub 3. Went with the pacers and started to hurt/fatigue with about 10k to go. One of the lads dropped back to encourage us - I think there were only 2 of us, 3 max, and he did a great job getting us home. Will obviously write a report later at some stage but just to say. Lovely day, almost too much sun, tough enough in places, hello km 34, but I can't complain!!!!
    Had to go home to the town of my birth and family to nail the ould sub 3 and in the last tough bit that was definitely a help.
    Id say i was the other lad, you were wearing black? my first sub 3 too, and couldnt be happier. The last 10k was tough out, but that pacer was brilliant, really was great for encouragement and telling us how much time we were up. Tough race but still smiling after breaking that 3 hour barrier. Congrats to yourself my friend!

Well done lads - that's a tough race to break the sub 3 barrier in.

• Advertisement

Name|Bib No:|Event|PB|Target|Finish Time
    hot buttered scones||Full|03:21:45|03:14:59|3:29:24 :o
    corkladd||Half|01:39:03|01:29:59|
    overthebridge||Half|01:35:14|01:34:30|
    TheBigGreen||Full|-|03:29:59|
    Itziger||Full|03:03:28|02:59:30|
    Jakey Rolling ||Full|3:36:00|3:2x:xx|3:27:15|
    CR 7||Full|3:03:45|2:59:59|
    robinph||Half|1:19:15|<1:22|
    sixpack's little hat||Half|1:22:0x|1:19:59|

Race report

Licking my wounds a bit today.

Race report

HBS, you'll have better days. Put it down in the ledger and move on. Think about what went wrong but don't be beating yourself up either. Most of us are in it for the long term and it's with years of decent training that the improvements come. I first targeted 2.59 in Frankfurt 2014 and failed gloriously, or ingloriously in fact. Had another few cracks at it and last year injury/illness put paid to any attempt. So almost 3 full years after giving it a lash I got what I wanted. Not everyone is as slow a learner as me but I think most of us do have to go back for a couple of cracks. Keep up the training and you'll reap the benefits one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Megager

Race report

Did you still set a pb for cork though? If so mark it as progress. You suffered and did sub 3:30- an amazing time by anyone's standard. You will absolutely smash Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭CR 7

CR 7||Full|3:03:45|2:59:59|3:20.xx

Had a bit of a lesson on how attempting 2:59 without training hard enough isn't such a good idea. Worked hard to stay with the 3hr pace group up to about 16 miles and then walked/ran the rest in a bit of pain. I actually thought the new course still felt easier than Dublin, but then again I was walking for a lot of the harder 2nd half. That's it for marathon attempts for 2017, so I might be back to try for 2:59 again in Cork 2018(With a bit more mileage in the legs, hopefully).

Itziger||Full|03:03:28|02:59:30|2:59:10|

It would be wrong not to update the table. As I've said already and will say again, although it should be kinda obvious, super happy with the time, result and run.

• Advertisement

Megager wrote: »
    Did you still set a pb for cork though? If so mark it as progress. You suffered and did sub 3:30- an amazing time by anyone's standard. You will absolutely smash Dublin.

My previous Cork time was 3:49:29 on the old course. My wife reminded me yesterday that I'd having taken someone's arm off for a sub 3:30 this time last year, and she was quite right (she always is ;) ). I'm still feeling bit sheepish though because I talked a good game, but failed to deliver on the day. You live and learn, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

My previous Cork time was 3:49:29 on the old course. My wife reminded me yesterday that I'd having taken someone's arm off for a sub 3:30 this time last year, and she was quite right (she always is ;) ). I'm still feeling bit sheepish though because I talked a good game, but failed to deliver on the day. You live and learn, I suppose.

You had a very similar experience to me HBS, you feel hard done by for a few days and replay the race over & over again in your head. But it's done now, let it go and learn from it cause it will stand to you in your next marathon. You gutted it out and finished it out, that's something to be very proud of, there's mental toughness there in buckets. Enjoy some down time and let the appetite come back to you.

CR 7 wrote: »

Had a bit of a lesson on how attempting 2:59 without training hard enough isn't such a good idea. Worked hard to stay with the 3hr pace group up to about 16 miles and then walked/ran the rest in a bit of pain. I actually thought the new course still felt easier than Dublin, but then again I was walking for a lot of the harder 2nd half. That's it for marathon attempts for 2017, so I might be back to try for 2:59 again in Cork 2018(With a bit more mileage in the legs, hopefully).

It's all a matter of perspective - in 2015 I ran a good race in Cork and not so good (albeit faster) one in Dublin and I reckoned Cork was the easier course. Then I had a cracking day at DCM 16 and a crap day yesterday and I reckon Dublin is easier - if you run it properly that is and don't blow it on the hills in the first 10 miles. I was like you - walking for a lot of the 2nd half yesterday. 16 miles is out by the South Ring - there's a nasty drag on that section alright - I was reduced to a walk there just before the off ramp up to Turners Cross. I think a lot of people had a tough day yesterday going by the splits, although that's small consolation I know. I was actually wondering would Cork be better if they ran it backwards? The course that is - not backwards running! You'll get the worst of the hills over in the first half and you'll really only have the climb out of the tunnel to cope with in the second half.

OOnegative wrote: »
    You had a very similar experience to me HBS, you feel hard done by for a few days and replay the race over & over again in your head. But it's done now, let it go and learn from it cause it will stand to you in your next marathon. You gutted it out and finished it out, that's something to be very proud of, there's mental toughness there in buckets. Enjoy some down time and let the appetite come back to you.

I'm off to Italy in about 10 days time and well looking forward to it. I've all short easy runs planned out there, except for maybe an excursion into the Tuscan Hills for a morning - but that's just for fun. Hot summer running when the pollen count is high spells disaster for me - that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. There's one more issue (a bit TMI but its in my log) that I have to get to the bottom of, but for now I'm thinking I have a good foundation made and its know its time to let that settle and then build on it.

CCM 2017. Coffee/Tea/Whiskey/Wine…… you’ll need something, trust me.

So, 12th marathon, first one in Ireland, my home town of Cork to boot and 4th attempting the old sub 3. Training had gone fairly well although a serious coach would have a good bit to say. Myself, I was happy. Nice run of 3 or 4 months without injury, getting out 6 or 7 days a week and a few decent Long Runs with MP stuff. Felt the couple of progression runs I did in the last 3 weeks had sharpened me too.

I made more of an effort at carb loading this time around. Didn’t do it all kosher with wholemeal this and wholemeal that, but I ate a good few hundred grams of carbs for sure and not rubbish either. Flew into Cork on Saturday morning, picked up the number (10!!) which freaked me out a bit, but otherwise all good. Had an old bottle of beer with dinner cos I didn’t want to have a 100% break with the demon….. the body might have reacted badly to 0%.

So, massive advantage of the small number marathons is you can go in with 30 minutes to go and no hassle. I wind myself up a bit when I have to queue and jostle and stand in a pen for an extended period. None of that. Very rudimentary warm up and I take my place. Quick little chat with the 2 sub 3 pacers. I tell them that a mere 38 years ago I ran with their club for a bit; strangely they didn’t seem to remember me ;)

One of my few concerns at this stage was the bleeding sun and about the only thing I’d forgotten was my trusty cap. Ah, well, shouldn’t be a major problem. (It nearly was).

We settle into a decent pace although it wasn’t exactly flat and consistent. Felt good and we were a group of about 20 or 25. Very little to say about the first 8k. The tunnel is the first mental test I think and it was a fair old drag out of it and up into Mahon. The sun was warm enough and already the water was going over the head. Good camaraderie in the group with plenty of water sharing and so on. I only encountered one fella who used the elbow on one occasion and I avoided him after that. One other minor concern was that I’d lost 2 of the 4 gels stupidly; they slipped out of the belt. I took one earlier than I would have and held onto the second, and last!, in my hand.

The younger of the pacers was advising people on relaxing and breathing and so on, telling us not to bate up the hills yet, that we’d make up the few seconds on the downhill. Approaching the Half, I was feeling comfortable and relatively confident but I knew the fun was yet to begin, as always. Like many before me, my problem has been the old ‘fade’ in the last 10 to 12k. Is it psychological? Physical? A mixture of the two? So I wasn’t exactly brimming with confidence yet!!

We hit the 25k mark and the group has definitely thinned out a bit. We’re down to a dozen I’d say. Nice bit of support around the ‘central’ bit before we head South and start the tough section. I’d read a fair bit about this but I didn’t want to make a big deal of the drags. On a good day you hardly notice ‘em.
    (I probably should point out that the pacers had swapped with a pair of mates at Halfway but the first two kept going till km 25 approx as that was where they could drop out and get their shower and gear. By then also we had ‘got used to’ the new lads, also from the Barrs.)

As we hit the drags I can feel the old fatigue increasing and the workload goes up for the first time. Group is 8 or 10 now. Then at about km 31 or 32 I start for the first time to drop 5 or 10 metres off the pacers. No biggie but it’s a long way to go and a real psychological point. I have a drop of flat Coca Cola and hit the last longish pull upwards. I know that if I get over this in decent shape I have a good chance, or maybe more accurately, I’m giving myself a good chance. This is where the pacer lad really starts giving it some. ‘Last climb, lads (there were no females), all the training ye’ve done, glory miles after this…….’ And a fruity bit of gee up every now and again.

And here we go, last 8k. I’m on target – pacer says we’re 30 seconds up – I’m tired and the legs are in ‘pre-cramping’ mode, a few darts and twitches but thanks be to baby jeebus the full cramps don’t hit home. I know there’s a km or so to a turn and then another right that will take us back to the finish with a tail breeze. Small moment of diversion when ‘our’ (that’s me and a fella who turns out to be another Boardie, innuendo 141) pacer's balloon goes POP when it hits a thorn bush on Inchagaggin Lane. Right to the finish now this pacer hangs back with us and encourages us all the way home. We’re 50 metres or so behind the small remnant sub 3 group, one pacer and maybe 4 or 5 runners. I’m working really hard and struggling to keep the demons at bay. Once or twice I think, 3.01 would be a 2 minute + PB. But that’s $hite talk and I shut it out. I also notice that we’re maintaining the gap to the lads in front and though no words are spoken and I barely glance at the lad, I am feeding off innuendo and I think we tried to run together as much as the concentration allowed.

At this stage I’m really thinking, c’mon 3 or so kms to go. I’ve actually recovered a tiny bit in that the cramps have stayed away and the breeze is helping and it’s pancake flat. Pacer says we still have 30 seconds in hand with 2 miles to go. I go to the arms now (I love that expression for some reason ;) ) and the breathing is a bit manic. Puffing and blowing rather than anything controlled. Down the Mardyke and into the funny narrow path there before emerging onto the North Mall. How many times did I walk this in my 8 years at UCC? No time to get emotional though yet. I glance at the watch at what I reckon from someone’s Strava post is 1k to go. 2.55. I know I’m not running that slowly. I know now that if I can keep the form and rhythm I’m home. Now it’s more a case of ‘Don’t fcuk up, ya dope’.

Down North Main St. I notice the little speed bumps and yes they are a bit of a pain but they’re not going to stop me now. One fella from the ‘real’ sub 3 group has started to come back to us and so does the other pacer. In fact, the dropper is sporting a Galway Tri top and for a mad fleeting moment I think it might be the Bitter Lemon himself. Around Washington St, Daunt’s Square into Patrick St. A few hundred metres to go. Oh, man. Big crowds now obviously and a huge number of my family await at the end. I try to raise the tempo but have no idea if I’ve succeeded. Slightly bizarrely one of the pacers puts his hand on my back, the kidney area, and kind of guides me home; maybe I looked worse than I like to think. Last bend, Innuendo, the bollix, sprints away but more importantly I see the clock. 2’59 and a few seconds.. 10 or 15 or so. The relief is just indescribable. At long last I relax and manage a smile I think. Some kind of clenched fist but it’s all a blur. I stop the watch at 2.59.09 and get wobbly but nothing too drastic. Just the usual! Thank the pacers, look for the gang (we’re a big extended family) and finally the emotions run over but I control the sobbing episode after a few secs and stroll on. Water, banana and a fantastic pic with Mam (88 years young). I’m so proud of the achievement it’s hard to explain. I don’t really show it but I feel it deep down. I hung in there for 8k of pain and anguish. After all those fades, 3.03, 3.04, 3.05, 3.09, 3.12, 3.13 (that was a sub 3 attempt!!) I am a sub 3 marathon runner. 4 minute pb, 8 days off the 52nd birthday. And all in sunny Cork. Sure what else would ya be doing on a Sunday morning?

Apologies for rambling.

Great report Itziger, I'm nearly after been bawlin' myself reading it. Nothing like a home game to bring out he best in ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Great run D.

Well done but it's about feckin time :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Spectacular stuff Itziger. I hope you've been able to celebrate well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

CCM 2017.

Many, Many congrats - I'm so delighted to read that you got it.
    Super achievement and celebrate it appropriately. Amazing report.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭pgarr

Amazing Itziger.

I don't need to tell you to take the time to acknowledge what an incredible feat you've accomplished in your backyard....but I will tell you anyways :)

Great report on your race - I feel like i was there reading it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Brilliant stuff Itziger. What a day and what a race to crack your sub 3. Well done and massive congratulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Megager

Absolutely brilliant and inspirational Itziger. It was your destiny to do it at home. Incredible description . Congratulations

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Delighted for you Itziger - inspirational stuff - fair fecks for keeping the belief through all the training cycles - great feeling!

Delighted for you Itziger - inspirational stuff - fair fecks for keeping the belief through all the training cycles - great feeling!

Thanks Paulie, and the others too. I want to say though that on the inspiration point, I do hope I can inspire some who might be struggling to persevere because I think most of us already know that it is in perseverance and hard work, the old (sometimes boring) training runs when you're not feeling great...... that's what gets you over the line.

Yes, there are fellas who'll rock up and run faster than I can after a few weeks training and might go back to other sports, or the couch!!, after a year or two. Most though have to get the head down and carry on.

Running's been great to me and on Sunday it decided to reward me in this distance, which yes TBL, had been a while coming. I hope everyone who takes up the sport gets to experience the feeling I had (have) after the race. There's something special about the challenge and rewards of running, that mixture of the physical and mental which I'm sure some other sports present to, but for me this will always be number one.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

TheBigGreen||Full|-|03:29:59|03:42:30

Tough but great day on Sunday, knew early on that my target was not going to happen, started to slow down after mile 18, no power in the legs!

35000057241_cc828c33b3_b.jpgCCM Innuendo flying by Itziger, on Flickr

Trying to post a pic or two. Here's Innuendo blasting home. Pacers still don't trust me on my own!!! Even though I had 50 seconds in hand.

Trying to post a pic or two. Here's Innuendo blasting home. Pacers still don't trust me on my own!!! Even though I had 50 seconds in hand.

Ah cheers! As I say, that whole stretch is a complete blur to me now! I'm still buzzing from it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

TheBigGreen||Full|-|03:29:59|03:42:30
    robinph||Half|1:19:15|<1:22|1:21:27

I'm sure that was hillier than when I did the last two legs of the relay before. Was also fairly windy, but thankfully a tail wind for the exposed straight road. Happy enough with that though as the last part of my weekends racing which also included being 1st finisher, and pushing a buggy, around Clarisford parkrun, then an hour later getting 3rd in the Lough Derg 10km and then 4th old bloke in the Cork Half on the Sunday.

Perfect preparation for a marathon next weekend... isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Jeeckust, I was sure I came in after you! The last stretch is a complete blur- I even threw my hands in the air like an eejit, I remember that much! The pacer spoke enough for both of us, the focus on not choking was too strong!

Well done

https://www.facebook.com/IrishRunnerMagazine/photos/a.517194134998723.133941.145636452154495/1620579527993506/?type=3&theater

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Great pic. You're well entitled to a bit of celebration at that point! Congratulations!

Advertisement